Happy Earth Day

Tools    

Earth photographed by the crew of Apollo 17:

Earth photographed by Voyager 1 on its way out of the solar system:

Carl Sagan's commentary on the above image:

Thanks for posting this @BoxOffficePoison - Happy day to the Earth-a day to celebrate nature and recall our stewardship of this beautiful blue and green orb- from all us tree huggers, and - oh yes- everyone who happens to live on the planet

Thanks for posting this @BoxOffficePoison - Happy day to the Earth-a day to celebrate nature and recall our stewardship of this beautiful blue and green orb- from all us tree huggers, and - oh yes- everyone who happens to live on the planet
I'm a proud tree hugger! In fact I'm planting some trees today. Though not for Earth Day, but to block the view of the neighbors junky house.

Lol - @BoxOfficePoison

Well @CitizenRules, no matter the reason you plant them, I thank you, the tree huggers thank you and the planet earth thanks you.

And let's hope your view looks less like the above - and more like this:

Happy Earth Day,
love & best wishes from Mars

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm a proud tree hugger!
That's some kinky dendrophilia fetish goin' on.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Happy earth day, younguns. Filthy greed from my generation pucked it up. Tskr csre of her xxxx

I'm a proud tree hugger! In fact I'm planting some trees today.
Me too! My power company in cahoots with some arbor group offered FREE trees so that we could shade our properties and thereby ostensibly lower our power use. Cant argue with free so I signed up for a nice Red Oak. I figured eventually a big truck full of burly guys would show up, dig up my lawn and drop in some 38 foot monster all before I got home from work. Nope... last week when I got home there was a 4 foot long cardboard box in front of my door and inside was this tiny little oak sappling (maybe a foot tall) with a few distinctively oaky leaves on it So it was on me and I planted it on Saturday (along with moving and replanting 4 other volunteer ashes that have been growing in parts of the yard that they couldnt stay in). But overnight something ate the top of it. Im hoping that doesnt kill it off...

Sounds like Charlie Brown's spindly Christmas tree.But don't worry @I. Rex -

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow:

well this is actually a redwood. but you get the idea
(Photo by the gifted photographer William Neill, former
student of Ansel Adams)

LOL. Excuse my typoes. That was about 4am I think. I couldnt keep my eyes open.

That's some kinky dendrophilia fetish goin' on.
I want credit for not pointing out that
WARNING: "Really inappropriate comment" spoilers below
it's the huggee that has the wood.

I'm a proud tree hugger! In fact I'm planting some trees today. Though not for Earth Day, but to block the view of the neighbors junky house.
How awfully green of you on Earth Day. As per usual, CR, you're completely disingenuous. Have you found those names you claim I called you on the weekend? never mind.

How generous are local councils in US with free saplings, mofos? I must say I was pretty impressed with how 'green' I found places and people I saw in NYC, and that was 4 years ago. I think it's pretty progressive when it comes to 'greenifying' the city. My city seems to have taken up with it but it took long enough. I said in another thread I remember hearing about the hole in the ozone back when I was a wee kid last century. It took damn long enough for the world to wake up to what was happening. I was talking to my husband about this the other night. Just shaking my head. Talk about leaving it until the 11th hour. We have the melanoma capitol of the world down here due to a massive hole over antarctica and idiots still think a real tan is desirable.

Back to greening cities - the only things being planted in my city at the moment are bollards in preparation for our ANZAC Day ceremony. Thankyou, terrorists. Please excuse my sarcasm.

How generous are local councils in US with free saplings, mofos?
I don't know about anywhere else, but when our subdivision was built and originally populated, it was the construction company that provided a free sapling to each house. I generally can't say much for local government around here.

We have the melanoma capitol of the world down here due to a massive hole over antarctica and idiots still think a real tan is desirable.
That's OK. Just remember, Darwin was right.

What are bollards?

I don't know about anywhere else, but when our subdivision was built and originally populated, it was the construction company that provided a free sapling to each house. I generally can't say much for local government around here.

That's OK. Just remember, Darwin was right.

What are bollards?
HA! Dishonest pricks. They would have had to plant a certain number of saplings for pulling the rest down in the subdivision so they saved dollars by givg those saplings to the new owners. It saved on paying workers. Tools. I've workled for developers and know how those bastards operate.

Bollards are those lovely concrete blocks that prevent ram raids by terrorists.

edit to fix stupid o'clock bolding

Yeah, you said it. Sign of the times. Last time there was a big hoohaa about concrete bollrds the mayor was going to allow graffiti art to brighten them up but I'm Not sure what happened there because I havent been in the city for so long. I really should change that when I get my energy back.