The MoFo Millenium Top 100

→ in
Tools    

Hello all,

I promised you guys an announcement soon in another thread and here it is. It's been almost a year and a half now since Badger started his MoFo all-time Top 100 countdown. Most of the regulars here know it was a smashing success: over 40 members sent in their all-time Top 25 and the Top 100 thread counts an impressive 1,559 posts. So, I, Badger and Yoda figured it was time for another Top 100 in the similar vein, but with one important difference:
  • The films you can put into your Top 25 must be those that were released starting from 01-01-2000 up until and including 12-31-2011. The release dates that we'll take are the USA ones. So, if a film was released in your home country in, say, February 2000, but it was already released in the USA in December 1999, then you can't nominate it. This 'rule' is installed merely so that everyone is clear on which films they can and cannot put in their Top 25.
This choice was made by myself and Yoda for several reasons. First of all, a lot of members on this board are fairly young and thus, chances are that they've pretty much only watched contemporary films, bar some ultimate classics. So, if we make a Top 100 with only contemporary films in it, there's a good possibility that it will spark more discussion, because more members have watched the films that appear on it.

A second consequence of limiting the timespan from 2000-2011 is that not only the most well-known and critically-acclaimed Hollywood films of the millenium will appear on the list, but also some lesser known gems and 'foreign' releases will find their way onto the list, possibly even very high up. In that way, we'll get a) many surprises on the list and b) the MoFo members might discover some new films that they simply hadn't even heard of.

The last and final argument in favor of the Millenium Top 100 is that it will be even more unpredictable as the MoFo Top 100. Yes, there were some surprises on the MoFo Top 100, but pretty much everyone expected either Pulp Fiction or The Godfather to win and a lot of people had a good idea of what the top 10 would look like. As far as I can tell, there's no real frontrunner for # 1 in the Millenium Top 100, let alone a clear view of what the top 10 would look like.

Hoping to have all of you won over by now , the Millenium Top 100 will be created as follows:

1) As many members as possible send in their personal Top 25 of 2000-2011. This can be done from as of right now until June 2011. Points will be allocated like this: # 1 = 25 points; # 2 = 24 points and so on.

2) New members can send in their Top 25 as soon as they've been on the MoFo for one month. This measure is taken so that the list isn't influenced by members who've been on here for a week and then pack their bags and never come back. If we get too many of such lists, the Top 100 wouldn't be really representative of the MoFo's taste.

3) Films that are part of a series (Kill Bill, LOTR, Harry Potter,...) must be regarded as SEPARATE films. It is not permitted to submit an entire trilogy as one entry.

4) All Top 25s must be sent to me via PM. Don't bother sending in a Top 100, because only the 25 first films will receive points.

5) In July, I will jot up the scores via Excel.

6) The MoFo Millenium Top 100 countdown thread will be posted mid-August, early September. If it would be the case that I don't have enough spare time or am on holiday, the countdown will be continued by either Badger of Yoda.

Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope each and everyone of you will send in your Top 25 of the millenium so that we have a big pool of lists to create the MoFo Millenium Top 100 from. If you have any questions or comments, you can always post them here or simply PM me.

My first big - and maybe stupid - question: Do we count The Lord of the Rings as a single title or three separate titles? It is obviously three individual films, but is often counted as a whole on such lists.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If I recall Fight Club was the #1 film the first time we did the mofo top 100. o I suspect it will be top 2 this time around.

Suspect's Reviews

@ MadMikeyD: I would personally consider them to be 3 separate films, because they were released as such. The Harry Potter movie series aren't considered as one huge film either. Yoda on the other hand prefers to consider the LOTR Trilogy as one film, because they were filmed at the same time and because when judging them as separate films, they might be badly represented on the Top 100, i.e. too low because they will snatch points off each other. I'll leave this open to discussion for now.

@ TUS: Fight Club was released in 1999, so no dice .

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Like the idea of this list. Like you said Brodinski should make it quite interesting.

And I would consider the Lord of the Rings trilogy to be just one movie. But then that's only so I can submit 24 other films instead of 22!!!

I could send the list right now but will wait a while and try and see more films from this century first.

PS - Just so I and others know is it just films whose original release was between those dates? For example would the 3D version of The Lion King count or not? Or any other similar examples

Yeah, the original release date must be between 01-01-2000 and 12-31-2011. So The Lion King 3D and other re-releases can't be put on your list.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I assumed not but just wanted to check so both myself and others were clear.

This. Is. Awesome. Very cool, I'll definitely be catching up on some contemporary classics that I've been meaning to see.

I wish i'd made top of year lists starting since 2000

Maybe someone with some time could hunt down the respective threads for individual year discussion to spark ideas for members.... i.e. me

Is there any emphasis on an objective or subjective list or, as I imagine, entirely at our own disgression

Personally, I don't like the timing. You announce something like this and the results won't be shown until July? I understand it gives people time to see all they wanna see from 2011, but, sheesh, Brodinski, you are a movie dominatrix from Hell. That's a long time until you'll allow everybody to get off.

Lord of the Rings. That's what's gonna win. Oops, I should have used spoiler tags. Oh, well.

Lord of the Rings. That's what's gonna win. Oops, I should have used spoiler tags. Oh, well.
^I certainly hope not.

I'll have to give this some thought and turn in my list. Chances are my top five or so will be the same as they've been for ages, but the rest may change. Also I need to watch some more films from the last decade, though that may be a bit of a challenge since I've cancelled my Netflix account.

Hmm, Miss Vicky. I wonder if I might put I'm Still Here on my list. It's certainly unique - I think.

(looking over the lists from each year)

Oh, God, if it's not The Lord of the Rings, it'll be Amelie.

Hmm, Miss Vicky. I wonder if I might put I'm Still Here on my list. It's certainly unique - I think.
Unique? Yes. Among the best of the last decade? I don't know. I'll have to rewatch it. Spent the whole movie just mouthing the words "What the f***?" the first couple times through.

My list will definitely be including at least 3 Phoenix movies, maybe more.

ETA:
Oh, God, if it's not The Lord of the Rings, it'll be Amelie.
Again, I certainly hope not.

Well, being a list of the top 100 films from only the last 12 years, I'm wouldn't be suprised to see either Lord of the Rings as a whole or one of the individual films (depending on how they're counted) take the top spot.

Lord of the Rings is certainly a likely candidate. Others that I would expect to see rank very highly include Memento, Eternal Sunshine, The Departed, Amelie, Mulholland Drive, The Dark Knight, City of God, Requiem For A Dream, and There Will Be Blood. That's probably a pretty accurate lineup for the top 10, actually.

My early, rough, ridiculous Top 25 of the Millenium (not gonna send in an official ballot until June because there's still a lot I might end up seeing):

1. Ghost World
2. Adaptation
3. Kill Bill (can both volumes count as one movie?)
4. The Town
5. Black Swan
6. Brothers
7. No Country for Old Men
8. Brokeback Mountain
9. Observe & Report
10. Little Miss Sunshine
11. Cloverfield
12. The Dark Knight
13. Synecdoche, New York
14. Superbad
15. Source Code