So, I got engaged

Tools    

by the by Yoda... I can say now that I totally nailed you in the shoutbox a week or so ago.

*Left that one wide open for innuendo. Closing the door myself.

Very lucky woman!

Congratulations Chris.

aside: DO NOT watch any episode of We Channel's Bridezillas
Are you kidding me? That's exactly what he should be doing. That show is beyond fantastic. Totally like reality!

Congratulations!
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Just became official. I asked her a little under two hours ago, and she said yes. We've told some family members already and, predictably, word's spreading.

I've had the ring for months, and today just struck me as a good time to ask.

Nothing'll change in the immediate future; the actual date'll probably end up being over a year from now, but I thought you guys would want to know. Thanks to the MoFos who listened to me wrestle with the issue and offered up their advice over the last few months.
Well, congratulations, amigo! Wasn't aware you were "wrestling with the issue." As one with multiple experiences with marriage, let me just say that if you're not setting sail with a willing heart, it's best not to make the trip at all. But if you're best friends as well as lovers, you're in for life's richest experience. Main thing to remember is that love and especially marriage is not a 50:50 deal, because there will be days one or both of you won't be meeting your 50% quota, and that leaves a hole in the middle for your love to fall through. You've gotta give it 100% 24-7; gotta be willing to step up and shoulder the whole load at a moment's notice, especially when it doesn't seem fair. That sounds burdensome and it is--love is easy, marriage is hard. You and she will change as the years go by, so you've got to remember what you love about her to start with and then learn to love her all over again with each change.

The most important thing in marriage is developing the ability to communicate. That doesn't mean just talking out your problems--it means learning to listen to hers. You don't always have to solve them, often times you really can't. But she's gotta know she can rely on you to listen and to take her part. The main thing is that you have to have a common goal you're both working toward from the very start--the goal will change in time, but the main thing is that you're working toward something together; that's what keeps you from drifting apart.

Marriage has to be based on honesty to work. It's easy to fool someone who loves you and believes in you, but take it from one who knows--that's a sucker game of the worst sort. Never hurt the people who love you just because you can get away with it. The main thing is to guard against building grudges whether it seems she never cooks your favorite dish any more or her mother is coming to visit again, she's used up the hot water just as you step in the shower, or you're hot to trot and she has a headache. If you both start collecting grudges, then you start building a wall between you, and that wall can get so high so quickly that you no longer see the person you love on the other side. So again, learn to communicate, and learn how to fight fair, even if you have to go to a counselor for lessions. It really does help sometimes to bring in an unbiased referee to help sort things out.

Please don't think I'm trying to discourage you. I'm just saying marriage is serious, and not something to be entered into lightly. It's so easy to get into, and so hard to get out. It takes commitment and gumption to make it work. And a lot of good common sense. I once read something in a Reader's Digest that summed up marriage about as well as anything I've ever heard. It said, "Marriage is our last, best chance to grow up." It's a great opportunity to "do the right thing," and I wish the two of you all the best.

Okay, so now the romantic part--how'd you meet and how did you propose? A good romantic proposal will carry you a long way through a good marriage!

The People's Republic of Clogher
Congratulations Chris.

I wish you decades of happy times.

You want to post like me?
Okay, so now the romantic part--how'd you meet and how did you propose? A good romantic proposal will carry you a long way through a good marriage!
Was it when Bruce popped out of the water?

My life isn't written very well.
Let's see the ring! Or The Ring 2!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Thanks so much for all the kind words, guys. We're both very happy and really looking forward to everything.

You can be a pretty good man. As Jerry Seinfeld says "if he's the best man, why would she marry the other guy?"

by the by Yoda... I can say now that I totally nailed you in the shoutbox a week or so ago.

*Left that one wide open for innuendo. Closing the door myself.
You really did. Just so everyone else knows: I dropped a hint in The Shoutbox thinking it would be vague enough for deniability, and a couple of MOFOS (not MoFos!) almost spoiled everything, so I had to delete their shouts. All's well now, though.

Serves me right for dating a girl who can read, I suppose.

First off, thanks a lot for the advice, and for sharing your experiences with us. I read your post aloud to the lady and she thought it was interesting and helpful, and I agree with a lot of what you've said -- especially the part about someone having to fill the gap when the other isn't in the mood to hold up "their end." As goofy as it sounds, there was a line along these lines in the TV show Scrubs that I always liked, about how, in good relationships, when things are bad one of the two will always stand up and "fight" to keep it going. I think that's really stuck with both of us, and it makes me feel very optimistic.

The how-we-met story is in the "significant other" thread, which I'm guessing you've seen since the post above.

The proposal story is basically this: I bought the ring months ago, and it forced me to do a mental run-through about compatability just to be safe. I realize that she's more reticent about having children than I am, so I hold off, as I don't want to pressure her, or take such a huge leap merely hoping that she'll change her mind. And, of course, I can't simply expect her to change.

Eventually I come to the conclusion that, even if she's not sure about all those things, I want to be with her anyway. I decide this maybe a week and a half ago. We're sitting in my room on Saturday, and I start to think that it'd be a good time to ask. As soon as I decide this, my stomach churns. It was like flicking a switch.

Now, at this point we're just sitting on the bed, but the ring's hidden in the closet. I can't get it out while she's in the room. So I ask her if she'll get me a can of soda. Then I realize that that won't give me enough time, so I change my mind and ask her if she'll pour me some orange juice. I didn't want any, but I needed her to do something that would take a minute or so. So she goes (because she's nice like that), I rifle through a few boxes in the closet and grab the ring.

She comes back, I steel my nerves, and just (very) softly say "Will you marry me?" Her face gets very serious and her eyes well up, and I realize I should probably show her the ring. So I say "I, I have a ring..." and I pull it out of my pocket. She told me later that seeing the ring helped because it let her know I wasn't just asking on a whim. Which makes sense, given that there was no big ramp-up or production to it all.

She buried her face in my shoulder and cried a little. I gave her a moment and then, half-laughingly said "I just need one word from you." She smiled and nodded her head, and that was that. We both got hold of ourselves and started calling people, and here we are. It feels as right now as it did then.

Let's see the ring! Or The Ring 2!
Gladly! I went an unsual route...I didn't want to go with a diamond. I bought her a diamond necklace for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I wanted something a little different. My stepmom has a Garnet ring, and those really struck me. My little sister, funnily enough, found a few and brought them to my attention, and I chose one with an Art Deco style to it:

A little unusual, but very Victorian, and it really suits her. She loves it, thankfully (whew), but she's a very practical girl with modest tastes, anyway, which is one of the things I love about her.

I hadn't seen this thread until now; I must have missed it.

Congratulations, Yoda! May things turn out more than well for you and your new life partner.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

You really did. Just so everyone else knows: I dropped a hint in The Shoutbox thinking it would be vague enough for deniability, and a couple of MOFOS (not MoFos!) almost spoiled everything, so I had to delete their shouts. All's well now, though.
As I recall... it was a suspicious MoFoett who started it all...

Sorry

Oh, and I absolutely love the ring... ... I said earlier she was a lucky lady... and I still think that... but I also think you're pretty lucky too... Congratulations again to both of you...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I hadn't seen this thread until now; I must have missed it.
As did I, but I did see the shouts in the shoutbox and wondered why there was cryptic talk from Yoda as if somone popped in mid-conversation.

Congrats to the both of you!! Hope things work out well.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg