The MoFo Movie Club Discussion: Chinatown

Tools    

[quote=will.15;616344]

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I have a pretty limited knowledge what makes a noir film tick or for that matter what a noir film even is. But I think I can pretty safely say that not only is this a noir film but its one of the very best out there... ever. /quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir

According to the academics who think they have a proprietary right to define it, Chinatown is not film noir because it was made in color and was produced in the wrong decade. But I'm not an egghead academic who makes arbitrary rules for what is and isn't film noir, so I don't have a problem with calling it that.
But, the film Chinatown was a classic, which won the Academy Award for the Best Picture the year that it came out.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Chinatown lost to The Godfather Part II for the Best Picture Oscar. Did you read the thread?

would watch this tomorrow...guys the list is increasing at great speed.. i need to watch many good movies yet

I watched Chinatown last night and I was engrossed because i had read somewhere that it has one of the 25 greatest twists in film history. I love twists who doesn't. After the film ended I had to google to find out what the twist was about. There is nothing special about the Chinatown twist. Absolutely nothing. Its just an overrated movie because it is based on a novel. In the top 25 list there no Book of Eli (2010) or Source Code (2011) which i strongly believe deserve to be on that it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Chinatown is not based on a novel. You had to look up the twist(s) after you watched it? Go ahead, tell me what it is (they are) and why there's nothing special about it (them)? Spoilers don't matter in a thread like this one.

The twist is that the Leading Lady has a daughter with her Dad who we all along thought was the Leading Lady's Husband's Mistress then Jake loses it and slaps the Leading Lady several times and she confesses.