Road Trip Pics and Blog

Tools    

Great that you're wearing not only the MoFo shirt but a Steelers hat as well. Are you headed through/toward Pittsburgh at all, or did I miss that portion of our regularly scheduled program already in progress?

Obviously Yoda would love to meet you... and I wouldn't mind tagging along to say howdy too.
Yeah we definitely are. Trying to get to the Heinz Museum while we are there. Looks like it we will be there all day on the 17th of this month and already talked to him about getting together so hopefully we can make it work. The wife and I would love to meet you guys.

Just secured a hotel in the downtown area, or at least that's what it tells us .

Trying to get a doggy day care to take the dogs for us when we go to museum, any recommendations or do you know anyone that can give suggestions?

Thanks either way .

Quoting from the article: He said some people have suggested his city should build fences and walls around the falls to prevent suicide attempts there.

Ssssh, don’t tell Donald Trump.
Doubt that would prevent it, there are so many areas to go over the falls,you can jump in upstream and just flow your way over.

Are you going to Wisconsin on this trip 7thson?
Funny you ask we were just looking at what to do there after we visit Minnesota for some fishing way up at the Northern most point of lower 48.

Would love to do a drive in theater, and a cheese factory but definitely open to suggestions.

Doubt that would prevent it, there are so many areas to go over the falls,you can jump in upstream and just flow your way over.
I was just being facetious.

Great that you're wearing not only the MoFo shirt but a Steelers hat as well. Are you headed through/toward Pittsburgh at all, or did I miss that portion of our regularly scheduled program already in progress?

Obviously Yoda would love to meet you... and I wouldn't mind tagging along to say howdy too.
I'm an old Pittsburgher myself. Yins goin' dahntahn??? Haven't been back to the burgh since 1991. It's probably the friendliest big city in the U.S... Go Bucs!!

~Doc

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah we definitely are. Trying to get to the Heinz Museum while we are there. Looks like it we will be there all day on the 17th of this month and already talked to him about getting together so hopefully we can make it work. The wife and I would love to meet you guys.

Just secured a hotel in the downtown area, or at least that's what it tells us .

Trying to get a doggy day care to take the dogs for us when we go to museum, any recommendations or do you know anyone that can give suggestions?

Thanks either way .
I can ask. Give me a zip code for your hotel. That'll help when I ask dog-owning friends what they recommend.

I'm an old Pittsburgher myself. Yins goin' dahntahn??? Haven't been back to the burgh since 1991. It's probably the friendliest big city in the U.S... Go Bucs!!

~Doc
It's definitely known for its hometown feel. I heard it referred to once as the city of neighborhoods. Considering Mister Rogers is a Pittsburgh guy, that totally makes sense. And the sports team song that's been popular since I first moved here in the early '80s is "We Are Family." Love the 'Burgh!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Funny you ask we were just looking at what to do there after we visit Minnesota for some fishing way up at the Northern most point of lower 48.

Would love to do a drive in theater, and a cheese factory but definitely open to suggestions.
If you want a little something to do maybe hit up Wisconsin Dells, depending on when you would make it there. I'd say Apostle Islands but that's way up there and probably wouldn't make sense to drive all that way.

My state is good as far as living day to day but a pretty boring vacation state.

I can ask. Give me a zip code for your hotel. That'll help when I ask dog-owning friends what they recommend.
So it looks like 15222 is zip. But anything relatively close works. If we cant find one we we will just take turns going in to museum, we are used to it. TY.

If you want a little something to do maybe hit up Wisconsin Dells, depending on when you would make it there. I'd say Apostle Islands but that's way up there and probably wouldn't make sense to drive all that way.

My state is good as far as living day to day but a pretty boring vacation state.
Just looked up Apostle Islands, they look cool. Going to look closer at going there.
TY.

So it looks like 15222 is zip. But anything relatively close works. If we cant find one we we will just take turns going in to museum, we are used to it. TY.
Yup, that's downtown ("dahntahn"). I asked my local friends on Facebook if they have any reliable, reasonable recommendations. Will report back when I get responses...

Yup, that's downtown ("dahntahn"). I asked my local friends on Facebook if they have any reliable, reasonable recommendations. Will report back when I get responses...
Thanks much.

So Watkins Glen turned out to be a beautiful place. There are so many astonishing places our country has thst I have never even heard of before. My wife picked out this spot on a whim to help break up the long drive from Niagra to Long Island. It has a gourge that has many different waterfalls along it and the hike takes you right next to and across some spectacular views. As far as size and popularity goes comparing it to Niagra its not much, but as far as beauty and having the ability to connect one with nature it is right ip there with any place we have been.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
So tonight we head out to Mt. Misery Road. Should be a lot of "fun".

I've heard so many stories about Mt. Misery Road over the years that I'm not sure whether hoping you "have fun" there is good or bad. Let us know if anything strange happens while you're there, (or maybe even shortly after you leave there).

Heading back now, couple of creepy things happened but nothing too alarming. Well my son was scared pretty bad and our puppy acted very weird. Will post about it all when I am back to house.

Alright so tonight we went to Mt Misery Road and Sweet Hollow Road in Huntington,i n Long Island, NY.

It was mentioned by gbgoodies (thank you) and I read up on it and even though my wife is from Long Island she never really heard about it other than the car rolling uphill in neutral thing.

We got a late start. I wanted to get there around dusk, but it was already dark. It was actually hard to find and the GPS was all screwed up about where we had to go, but we made it finally at around 9:00 pm. I have to say the whole area felt a little weird to me and I do not mean in a creepy way, but in a way that is hard to explain. You can definitely feel and see the history. The two roads (and many others in that area) were very narrow and winding as well as dark, in most places there were no street lamps.

We drove the area first then stopped at a dead end on Misery Road and got out and walked the trail there. Right off the bat things were a bit scary do to it being pitch black and us only having our phones for light. We had to climb over a fallen tree to access the trail there and we had our dogs with us so that was not too easy. The ground was mucky and smelled a bit. I do have to be honest, I was not really that scared. Not because I am a bad ass or anything, but I did not get an uneasy feeling, and I have had those type of feelings in other places. Anyway when we first started it felt like any other trail one would walk at night. Then our puppy began to make weird noises that he has never made before. Whines and yelps and I initially though he had hurt himself. He would look into the forest and whine, sensing or seeing something we could not see. He was definitely scared or at least uneasy. This made my wife and I uneasy as well as my son who got pretty scared. Not one to torture our kids or animals we only went a little further then turned around and headed back to the van.

I had taken quite a few pictures and a couple videos of the area and on the way home I was looking at them. There is one I do not remember taking, but I m absent minded so no big deal, but the picture is weird and I have no idea what it is.

So yeah a little disconcerting, but nothing that cant be explained. maybe there was a raccoon or other animal in the woods that got the dogs attention, maybe I accidentally clicked my camera button while climbing over the log.

All in all I had a lot of fun though, I would recommend anyone that likes this sort of thing to go here if they have the chance. I definitely understand why it is a well known supposedly haunted area.

We did try putting out van in neutral when parked at the "hill" it dint move up or down, but the hill is not steep. We also did the part where you face a bridge with your car and turn out the headlights, then turn them back on and you are supposed to see teenagers hanging there. They were a group that committed suicide there by hanging themselves. We did not see anything, but let me tell you those seconds when the lights are off and that moment when you turn them on to look will raise a few goosebumps.

I would love to go back during the day one time and go searching for the old asylum that is supposed to be out in the wood there somewhere. Maybe next time we make it up this way we can do that.

Our son Damian and our puppy D'Artangan did not like being on the trail at the end of the road.

Driving slowly down Misery Rd.

Weird picture I do not remember taking. If I had to guess it is my wife walking in front of me , the only weird thing is that the picture before and after this on in my camera were not when we were walking on the trail and we never got out other than that...

Just me taking a selfie when the break lights were on.

__
So here is a video I took while walking the trail. My wife mentions there being no bird sounds, right before we got on the trail you could hear birds. I am thinking maybe we just scared them, but it was eerily quiet for a forest.

They were glad to be back in the van and the puppy snuggled with Damian the whole ride home, he never does that.

I'm glad that you enjoyed Mt. Misery Rd, and that you made it back okay, but it sounds like your dog sensed something strange might have been going on while you were there.

The picture that you don't remember taking looks like something out of a found footage horror movie. It's so dark and creepy.

Most people can think up logical explanations for weird things that happen there, but just the fact that so many strange things happen there that have to be explained is enough to keep me away from that road forever.

Off to Lancaster, PA in the morning to stop over for lunch at Shady Maple Smorgasbord that was recommended by gbgoodies (tyvm) and the on to Pittburgh to visit the Heinz History Center and do a late lunch with Yoda. Should be a fun time.

We may try to squeeze in a visit to the Mutter Museum in Philly on the way to Kalamazoo.
We were going to do a drive in theater in Mich. But are visiting one of Devs cousins instead and go fishing on Lake Mich. We are going to hit up a drive in out west later in the trip instead.

Off to Lancaster, PA in the morning to stop over for lunch at Shady Maple Smorgasbord that was recommended by gbgoodies (tyvm) and the on to Pittburgh to visit the Heinz History Center and do a late lunch with Yoda. Should be a fun time.

We may try to squeeze in a visit to the Mutter Museum in Philly on the way to Kalamazoo.
We were going to do a drive in theater in Mich. But are visiting one of Devs cousins instead and go fishing on Lake Mich. We are going to hit up a drive in out west later in the trip instead.

Enjoy your lunch at Shady Maple.

I haven't been to a drive-in theater in years. The last one I went to was in PA. It was in The Poconos, and we saw a double-feature of Hellboy and Van Helsing during a lightning storm. (The lightning storm was a nice addition to those two movies. )