Let's talk about suits

Tools    

Yay Yoda got a suit! !!!

And I think, if I may be forgiven for the pun.....it suits you. Although the color is a little bolder than classic navy or charcoal, it does look good for a summer wedding. What I also like ( besides the man in the suit) is that it's a modern take on a classic style. A slim cut that does not look faddish, is what I mean. I' m VERY glad you got the vest- nothing speaks of masculine elegance imho like a 3 piece suit.

I DO agree with @Stirchley about the guy in the suit - very VERY handsome. But now Yoda too will be quite pleasing to the eye in that suit. ( Not to imply that Yoda wasn't handsome before, but by wearing this suit to a wedding; he'll really take the cake )

I am going to part ways with Stitch on one thing- the shoes don't have to be black. (ducks. ) Of course a classic black wingtip would be an excellent choice.

But I decided to look online and saw more than one shoe in brown that can be a good fit for the suit. Here's one I like. ( and I may be back later with more shoes-this is getting to be fun)

This is a terrific shoe, no question.

Bump! After a bit of scheduling turmoil, this should be here sometime early next week. Sadly, probably too close to the wedding to have any last minute alterations made, so here's hoping it fits pretty great when it gets here.

I have a black skinny tie, and I'm planning on buying black shoes, to go for something close to this:

I have a vest coming, too, which I may or may not wear, depending on how fancy it all seems when we get there and how well the jacket fits (if it fits perfectly, I think it'd look better without it. If it's a little looser, think I'd go with the vest).

Yay - the dressing Yoda thread is back.

I personally like a suit with a vest, but you have to feel comfortable. However, if it's cold, you may want the added warmth of a vest.

The tie seems good to me. I guess white shirt? Only thing I ask - in fact I beseech you- is not to wear those boldly colored striped socks that seem to be so faddishly popular these days. Even Harrison Ford wears them, and even Harrison Ford looks bad in them. Please, I beg you; no iridescent stripes.

Oh, and will you need a stylish pair of these ? 😎
Sun shines pretty bright in the summer in the southwest.

Yeah, white shirt is the plan. It's "black tie optional, formal attire required." So there's some guesswork: I dunno if some/most/nearly all of the other guests will be in tuxedos. I'd guess not, I'm guessing it'll mostly just be suits. But if it's on the fancy end of formal attire, then I figure a white shirt (and possibly a vest) helps bridge that gap if I'm otherwise wearing blue and not black or gray. Can you tell I've put a lot of thought into this?

Probably just black socks for me. Black tie, shoes, socks. Maybe even a black tie clip or pocket square, not sure yet. Wife has a dark blue dress in mind, too, so it should all go together well.

Yeah, white shirt is the plan. It's "black tie optional, formal attire required." So there's some guesswork: I dunno if some/most/nearly all of the other guests will be in tuxedos. I'd guess not, I'm guessing it'll mostly just be suits. But if it's on the fancy end of formal attire, then I figure a white shirt (and possibly a vest) helps bridge that gap if I'm otherwise wearing blue and not black or gray. Can you tell I've put a lot of thought into this?

Probably just black socks for me. Black tie, shoes, socks. Maybe even a black tie clip or pocket square, not sure yet. Wife has a dark blue dress in mind, too, so it should all go together well.
Whoooops! I don't know what kind of affair this is, but "formal attire, black tie optional" always used to mean white tie and tails, but a tux with black tie is acceptable. You'd better take along a bow tie of the same color as your suit just to make sure. Good luck, bro.

~Doc

Some light Googling suggests that the term has loosened a little bit and that I'll probably be fine with a suit. Hopefully. Especially with the vest and the fact that the tie and shoes will be black. But good to note. Gave me a tiny heart attack there though for a second.

Some light Googling suggests that the term has loosened a little bit and that I'll probably be fine with a suit. Hopefully. Especially with the vest and the fact that the tie and shoes will be black. But good to note. Gave me a tiny heart attack there though for a second.
You're probably right about the contemporary distinction. A jacket and tie is probably considered "formal"..

People not only don't dress nicely anymore, it's as if they try to look as silly as possible. I've seen people at nice affairs where many come dressed as if they just took a break from yard work: T-shirts, baggy shorts, and those idiotic flip-flops.. What is being worn is mirroring societal decay.

~Doc

Anyway, I have the suit. I have tried it on. I am officially declaring it Good But Not Great...yet. The jacket isn't form-fitting enough. I'm going to see if I can have it taken in a bit early next week, though time is obviously short. Hopefully the stuff I want done (higher arm holes, slimmer throughout, shorter) isn't too difficult. Think if I can get it slimmed up it'll be Great.

It's not too light (which I'd been worried about), though, and the pants and vest look pretty good.

Is it bulletproof? Bulletproof Suit.... Hehe

If they can't take it in in time there is a tasty alternative.
Just tryna be helpful.

As enticing as that sounds, I feel like I'd have trouble adding weight in a way that fills out low jacket armholes. But hey, maybe I should try just to be safe.

Was thinking of your suit situation when I read this article. Stone dresses magnificently:

https://spectator.us/trump-uk-tailored-roger-stone/

The Adventure Starts Here!
Pretty sure nowadays "formal" can easily mean "suits, buddies... no polo shirts or jeans."

We go on cruises that have two "formal nights" for dinner each week. Even in the 12 years since we started going on cruises, that term has gone fro meaning full-length gowns and nice suits to something less: just dressy attire.