Let's talk about suits

Tools    

I'm old school. If you get charcoal you'll be able to wear it for any occasion: weddings or funerals.

I don't like the newer slim fit suits. Everyone looks like Peewee Herman.. Unless you're very trim, I'd stay with a more classic cut.

I agree with no cuffs on more form fitting slacks, but with roomier ones cuffs look fine. And classically the bottom hem of the suit jacket should brush the tops of the man's folded fingers while hanging at rest. If the jacket is too short, it looks like from a Max Sennett comedy.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Send us a pic when you've chosen!

~Doc

God, no.

Here's the shade of blue I was thinking of, roughly. And before I even found the second picture I was thinking a solid black tie would go nicely with it (though I'm thinking maybe orange, too):
I hate black ties. There are millions of really nice ties on the market. Hope you’re kidding about orange.

I'm determined to go into four figures if I find the right suit and really go all-out.
With the suit you need really nice shoes. Buy the best black shoes you can afford. You’re also going to need a nice shirt as part of the ensemble.

This is what I like to see when my arms are hanging by my side. It shows that you know how to dress with purpose.
I like cuff links. Do you guys like them?

Reid Scott from Veep springs to mind as someone who really looks good in a suit. I do not like the tie in 2 of the photos & I hate tie pins. All American men, I think, wear belted pants these days?

I hate black ties. There are millions of really nice ties on the market.
Yeah, I've got a number of flashier ones. Something about that contrast with the blue I really like. If I go charcoal I'll probably pick something more festive for the tie.

Hope you’re kidding about orange.
Eh, yes and no. Pretty unlikely I'd do it, but blue and orange go awfully well together (there's a whole thing about them being used in movie posters and various areas of design).

With the suit you need really nice shoes. Buy the best black shoes you can afford. You’re also going to need a nice shirt as part of the ensemble.
Yeah, I'll be getting some pretty nice shoes.

I have a few white shirts I think might go well. I managed to find a lovely Calvin Klein white dress shirt at a secondhand store awhile back. Pretty good chance I'll get a new one, anyway, though.

Red Scott is a good example; nice style, and we've got a lot of similarities in terms of complexion, hair, and general face shape. Thanks.

Yeah, I've got a number of flashier ones. Something about that contrast with the blue I really like. If I go charcoal I'll probably pick something more festive for the tie.
Flashy & festive are not good adjectives to describe ties. Orange is a beastly color no matter how you cut it.

I'll be getting some pretty nice shoes.

I have a few white shirts I think might go well. I managed to find a lovely Calvin Klein white dress shirt at a secondhand store awhile back. Pretty good chance I'll get a new one, anyway, though.

Red Scott is a good example; nice style, and we've got a lot of similarities in terms of complexion, hair, and general face shape. Thanks.
Black shoes only. Buy the best you can afford. Cheap shoes are horrible.

A white shirt is the best, definitely. Buy a roomy one. Tight shirts look cheap.

Same thing with women’s fashion: buy the best you can afford.

You ready? You look ready.
If you are buy a blue suit, @Yoda, for the love of God do not buy black shoes.

Otherwise, @Stirchley makes good points.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Ah, yeah, I guess blue suit = brown shoes, probably.
Unless it’s an outdoor wedding, don’t wear brown shoes. Also, remember your belt & shoes must be the same color. A brown belt to a wedding? Horrid.

A system of cells interlinked
Also remember, the best way to break in a suit is to use the Ticker method. You must make sure you duplicate all these movements exactly for the best results. Ticker is the tall guy in this video:

No break is horrid. Nothing worse than pants that look too short. Half or quarter is best, IMO, depending on the heel of the shoes. I like half break best. Full break looks very good with jeans only.

White shirts .... how terribly boring
I always used to sport either blue, yellow or light pink shirts with my suits

No break is horrid. Nothing worse than pants that look too short. Half or quarter is best, IMO, depending on the heel of the shoes. I like half break best. Full break looks very good with jeans only.
Shorter sleeves and legs (and a slimmer cut in general) seem to be the modern style.

It is definitely boring. I'm pretty minimalist about these things, though. I like the mod look. Last time I had to dress up, for TV, I went with a black suit, black tie, and dark gray shirt.

A system of cells interlinked
Depends on the event. I like blue for business, but white is good for super formal stuff. Tons of cool shirt/tie combos to play around with.