Lets Talk Football

Tools    

After that I'm left wondering if Spurs can bridge the gap between the top two and the rest of us next season? If not, we'll just have the enjoy the first few weeks of the season when we're all only a few points behind them.
If Poch stays, if Eriksen stays or is suitably replaced, same with Alderweireld, if they loosen the wage budget (not massively, but enough to attract any high profile signings Poch wants as well as reward current players for their efforts) then we have a chance, we just got "a bit Spursy" in the league towards the end, we were only a few points away before injuries + cup fixtures wore us down a bit. Trippier to Napoli works for me as he hasn't had nearly as good a season as last, Aurier can go too, then get Wan-Bissaka from under United's nose, a CDM is needed as I don't think Skipp is ready quite yet but maybe this will be his year? And the usual backup for Kane that I've wanted for ages, a young hungry striker that wants to make Poch have a tough decision to make.

We're not gonna offer anyone £300,000 per week, but Poch develops talent so we gotta look for players that are more interested in football than money, that's a small percentage of the market nowadays

there's a frog in my snake oil
I'm in Liverpool. Everything is so red. Plz send help.

(Yours, a spurs fan)

I don't want to be here for a victory parade...

Balls...

On the plus side, the fireworks and ship's horns have been good, and everyone's very cheerful. More entertaining than the game in some ways

Lousy final as a game, but not as bad as the one at Cardiff between the Italians. However, I don't care.

I was not really surprised with the way we played. That's what we have evolved into this season. Unlike last season where we were an out an out attacking side, we now control games. With last season's defeat in the final we added the experience. We seemed largely untroubled throughout the entire match.

Spurs were maybe taken over by the occasion. They played better in the second half. Playing Kane helped us. The only one to provide some good movement was Son. Not so surprisingly Moura's arrival changed things for them. He should have started. I am glad he didn't.

Spurs should be proud of their run. And they should do what we did. Build on this season. Levy needs to back Pochettino now.

Alisson showed his worth. I don't think he made spectacular saves, but I bet Mignolet or even a concussion-free Karius wouldn't have saved any of those.

Now get us the elusive nineteenth.

PS: Also, thank you Kinsey Wolanski 😂.

Alisson was faultless, really impressed with his positioning, there was a shot to his right that had he been dead in the middle he probably wouldn't have saved it, it was close between him and Ederson for my team of the season but last night put him ahead.

I honestly thought the pen would be overturned, not only was it chest to arm, Mané was pretty close to Sissoko and he was aiming it at him! (But Sissoko was an idiot for basically disco dancing in the box)

Was weird for Liverpool to pretty much sit back with the 1-0 lead for the first half, very unlike them but they did it a few times toward the end of the season.

They deserved it though, and the money I won will buy me a new Tottenham shirt for next season (with premier league badges and all the trimmings, maybe an away kit too)

It's been a lousy week and this game didn't help at all. I've heard a few times that Liverpool controlled the game. Did they? Or were Spurs just not good enough on the night to take advantage of the (many) mistakes and poor play? That's more the way I saw it.

I was quite surprised the penalty wasn't overturned and even more surprised to hear the commentary agree that it was a definite penalty. Maybe I just don't know the rules anymore, but if that's the case, then I'm not alone as almost everyone else I've heard talk about it seems to have thought the same. And still do. If that's the new standard, then expect a lot of flicks and kicks towards defenders arms and hands in the box next season. A bit like diving, if you're not going to be punished for it, then you can only gain. Even if only 1 in 10 are given, it's worth it.

Honestly, it did occur to me to turn the game off there and then, but I didn't. I don't know if I made the right decision or not. On the one hand, I can talk about the game from my own position having watched it. On the other, why bother?

I will say that I wonder if Poch bottled it with his selection? Or is/was he trying to appease Harry in the hope he stays? Whatever the case, for the game I thought it was the wrong decision and before the game and the same now. I don't think it's just personal opinion either. The evidence shows that he rarely performs well for the first few games back after an injury and, when he does score, it's usually a set piece.

Also, and I might be alone on this but I've said it before and I'll say it again, against the best defences (and Liverpool's has been outstanding this season) I think pace and movement is a lot more frightening than a 'normal' striker. Regardless of the ability. I'm guessing VVD was relieved when he saw he and Matip were up against Kane (and a not fully fit or match sharp Kane, at that) than the pace and movement of Son and Moura. They didn't have to worry about Kane running past them and could push up to the halfway line, reducing the amount of space that Spurs had and forcing them into mistakes and long passes no one would get on the end of. Plus they were playing out from the back?! Against, arguably, the best pressing team in the world? It's like he didn't want to win.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him from Spurs in a minute and thank Ole for his service, but I just don't know how he thought it'd work out. Made all the worse after the start, of course.

Essentially, neither side played well (I don't think the heat helped, there's a reason the European game is usually slower and the heat is one of those reasons) and on the two occasions which Spurs couldn't clear their box resulted in a Liverpool goal.

I will say that I was pleased about the second goal though, as to've won by that penalty after such a poor game wouldn't have seemed right.

Liverpool definitely didn't control the game, having 10/11 men behind the ball meant it was hard to penetrate the final 3rd, too many back passes to (and past) the halfway line to bring Liverpool out trying to create space, too many crosses that seemed to be aimed at Van Dyke, the Trippier cross where Kane made the wrong run pretty much summed up Tottenham's attack that night

Does Griezmann still think he's going to Barca? If Neymar does end up there, where does he go? PSG are making it pretty clear that, not only are they OK with selling him, but unless he bucks up his ideas they'll be looking for buyers and with only Real and United being the only other options (according to most people) am I think only one thinking only Ole can stop him coming to United? Woodward must be having wet dreams at even the possibility of signing Neymar, but I can't see it being a good move for anyone but the money men. Which is sadly what Woodward is. Usually as we're in the Europa League and a mess, I wouldn't think Neymar would touch it with a bargepole, nor would we have the front to ask. But, money talks and United have a lot of it to throw around. He wanted to go to PSG and be the big man? He'll definitely be that at United and would almost certainly get whatever he asked for. I can only hope the planets don't align and this most unlikely situation become a reality.

Real have wanted him and he's a better fit there, but with the spending they've already made this summer, plus Hazard moving there and Ericsson almost certainly gone, is there really any chance of that happening? If he did make the move to Real, then surely that'd put an end to any talk of Pogba going there this summer? They'd have to sell about half the team to make up the overspend in FFP and there's still no sign of Bale moving. As they want rid of a few players, a cash plus players deal might work, but they're notoriously difficult. Even when just one player is involved.

That being said, I have a sneaky suspicion that a loan deal might still materialise for Bale to somewhere, if Real can get him to agree to it. Probably United or Bayern, as I wonder if this news from PSG is signalling a change in their approach, which would rule them out

Barca seems sounds as if it would be the preferred option. There's reports that Messi has OK'd it/asked for it and a cash and Coutinho deal might work?

So, to refer back to my original question, does Griezmann think he's still going to Barca? He has to be wondering and, if not, where? Say it quietly, but if I were a fan of the European champions, I'd be very happy about PSG's new thinking because, surely, that's where you go? They missed the league by a point last season and had the best defence. A front three of those four would be frightening and he's an improvement on all of them.

I have been reading that Messi has a say in Barca's transfers and apparently he wants Neymar.
It's funny because Neymar has sued Barca over some unpaid money. Real are probably looking at Pogba as their final big signing considering Zidane has a boner for him. Though I doubt that will happen.

Griezmann is going to have a long summer full of anxiety. He is like that girl/boy you keep on standby, incase your first choice for prom says no to you.

I agree that someone like Griezmann would make us even more threatening. He would be ideal for us. But all I am hearing is no major signings or at the most Dembele, of whom Klopp is a big fan. I personally would prefer Griezmann over him. Experienced, smarter and less injury prone.

We are looking for cover at RB and LB. If Origi signs the new contract then I doubt we will go for a forward, considering Brewster also has been promised first team chances.

As for Neymar, he craves to be the main man and media attention. Imagine the commercial lift it will give to United. And despite all the baggage he is quality. That makes United an ideal place for him. You lot would probably have got involved already if you had UCL.

I think we will see the pieces fall in their places once the De Ligt signing gets finalised. If Barca miss out on him, they just might make a move for Neymar.

As for Neymar, he craves to be the main man and media attention. Imagine the commercial lift it will give to United. And despite all the baggage he is quality. That makes United an ideal place for him. You lot would probably have got involved already if you had UCL.
Don't get me wrong, in terms of quality I'd love him to come to United. But we can either struggle and fight for fourth place for a season or two with Neymar, all the time him being a pain and unsettling everything and still be in the place we are now at the end of it. The Real model only probably without the CL wins which have papered over the significant cracks in that team for years. Or we can actually address the problems (well, the ones on the field) and put together a team which will hope to challenge for top four in a season or two and build on that foundation to challenge the top two teams in the league after that.

But Ole probably won't be there in three years time and he doesn't want a director of football (which I understand from his POV) and the club don't seem to know whether they want one or not either. It seems to depend on who's being spoken to and by whom as to the answer to that question. Then there's Woodward who seems more than happy to play real life Football Manager in the transfer market (again, I don't blame him, I'd love to do that too.) But these people actually have responsibility and the people who should be making sure this is all run for the benefit of the club (the Glazers) don't care about the club so long as it keeps making the money, which it will do for a good few more years yet before the lack of success starts to impact commercial revenues.

I think we will see the pieces fall in their places once the De Ligt signing gets finalised. If Barca miss out on him, they just might make a move for Neymar.
This is exactly the kind of player we should be paying out for. Rumours are that his 'people' wanted him to go to somewhere like United where he'd be guaranteed starts regardless, would be paid a fortune (because United and the position we're currently in means we have to pay over the odds anyway) and he'd still be in the headlines, again because it's United. Then, in 3 or 4 years time (when he'd still be in his early 20's) the move to Barca or whoever as a confirmed world class superstar. But he's not keen on that at all and wanted Barca now. Understandable. Though now PSG have come in with a rumoured €15m a year after tax (twice what Barca are said to be offering) his head is on the swivel again.

Unregistered User
So @honeykid should be happy with that signing. Good young fullback with loads of potential.

Not sure what HK thinks, looking forward to hearing. From what I've seen of him he looks a very solid defender and an upgrade on Dalot and obviously Young. 50mill probably about right considering age and nationality, as long as he performs. Still need many more signings and more importantly, to get rid of the deadwood. ie Smalling, Jones, Matic etc

Also linked with Longstaff too. Id be happy to take him from what Ive seen and long touted as new Carrick but Id be worried in case this stops us making other signings.

HK?

I'm very happy with the signing @WrinkledMind@the samoan lawyer; I think I mentioned before that he was someone I'd been keeping an eye on and would like to see United go for as I think he's had a really good season. Even at his age and experience, I can't think of too many better right backs last season in the Premier League. He's a long way from the finished article (especially in attack, which is of increasing importance in the modern game) but pundits and Palace fans seem to be in agreement that he's the real deal, so that along with what I saw is good enough for me.

He's had a couple of dodgy games with the U-21's this summer and I think Boothroyd said something to the effect that he thought the contact with United was in his head, so we'll see how he deals with being a United player. After all, much the same was said when we bought Wilfred Zaha and, as it turned out, it was the wrong time for him at a club of that size.

The thing I like best about him from the last season is that it's obvious he likes to defend. I know I'm old fashioned, but I like that in a defender. I'd much rather a naturally defensive full back who has to be encouraged to go forwards than a frustrated winger who needs to be kept back.

I think the price is about right, though in the current market who knows? But United almost always overpay anyway. We're Manchester United, it's not like we're pleading poverty. If this is the buy we all hope it is, this could be the right back position sorted at United for a decade. It's a very good start, IMO.

As for Longstaff. I have to say that I've barely seen him. I've heard a lot about him and most of it was very good, but he's a young academy player playing for his home club in a pretty poor team. I expect reports to be heavily skewed in his favour, especially from fans. That said, if we're looking then I assume he's got something more than I did see. I can remember Shearer and a few others speaking positively about him, but I can't remember seeing much from him. But I'd be hopeful.

I guess it depends what they're trying to buy and that probably depends on whether Pogba stays or not. It might be a bit of a hipster thing to say (and I can't say I've seen a great deal of this player either) but I'd be looking at Bruno Fernandes at Sporting whether Pogba goes or not. If he does, can we look at Isco, too?

Unregistered User
I'm very happy with the signing @WrinkledMind@the samoan lawyer; I think I mentioned before that he was someone I'd been keeping an eye on and would like to see United go for as I think he's had a really good season. Even at his age and experience, I can't think of too many better right backs last season in the Premier League. He's a long way from the finished article (especially in attack, which is of increasing importance in the modern game) but pundits and Palace fans seem to be in agreement that he's the real deal, so that along with what I saw is good enough for me.

He's had a couple of dodgy games with the U-21's this summer and I think Boothroyd said something to the effect that he thought the contact with United was in his head, so we'll see how he deals with being a United player. After all, much the same was said when we bought Wilfred Zaha and, as it turned out, it was the wrong time for him at a club of that size.

The thing I like best about him from the last season is that it's obvious he likes to defend. I know I'm old fashioned, but I like that in a defender. I'd much rather a naturally defensive full back who has to be encouraged to go forwards than a frustrated winger who needs to be kept back.

I think the price is about right, though in the current market who knows? But United almost always overpay anyway. We're Manchester United, it's not like we're pleading poverty. If this is the buy we all hope it is, this could be the right back position sorted at United for a decade. It's a very good start, IMO.

As for Longstaff. I have to say that I've barely seen him. I've heard a lot about him and most of it was very good, but he's a young academy player playing for his home club in a pretty poor team. I expect reports to be heavily skewed in his favour, especially from fans. That said, if we're looking then I assume he's got something more than I did see. I can remember Shearer and a few others speaking positively about him, but I can't remember seeing much from him. But I'd be hopeful.

I guess it depends what they're trying to buy and that probably depends on whether Pogba stays or not. It might be a bit of a hipster thing to say (and I can't say I've seen a great deal of this player either) but I'd be looking at Bruno Fernandes at Sporting whether Pogba goes or not. If he does, can we look at Isco, too?

Bruno Fernandes looks like would be a good signing for us. Wish Woodward would splash the cash on him instead of letting him go to a rival club. Isco would be great too, was he playing regularly towards end of last season?

Still desperately need a cb too!

Bruno Fernandes looks like would be a good signing for us. Wish Woodward would splash the cash on him instead of letting him go to a rival club. Isco would be great too, was he playing regularly towards end of last season?

Still desperately need a cb too!
Not sure about Isco's playing time towards the end of last season but the word coming out of the Bernabeu seems to be he's available.

I honestly can't think of a CB that we could buy for the kind of money Woodward is talking about which would improve our team. Sometimes I see what I think others see in Maguire, but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan, but even he is outside our price range it would seem. Plus City are said to want him, so why wouldn't he go there? That said, if we don't go anything else then slap a load of money down and see what Leicester say, because I have more confidence in him than Bailly or Lindelof. Though, maybe foolishly, I still believe they may come good.

Koulibaly would be perfect, but without CL football, the current state of things at United and Woodward, is there any chance of that happening? I don't see it.

De Ligt has better options and looks like he's going to Juve now.

Of those available I think Alderweireld is the most obvious, but he didn't look like the player he was the previous season at Spurs. Maybe it was because his mind was elsewhere? Maybe it was the World Cup hangover, but maybe it's just he's not at that level anymore. I don't know what his wage demands are rumoured to be either. He's leaving on the cheap (if he goes) so there's be plenty on his end. However, unless his drop in ability is a sharp decline, he'll still be an improvement and maybe the other two can learn from him?

I like Diop at West Ham, but I like him on FM. I've just not seen him play anything like enough to judge whether there's much of a comparison between the numbers and the player.

I didn't watch a great deal of European football last season, so I don't know which gems may be out there, but with this position seemingly very bare around most of Europe's big teams, I'm guessing those who do have one will ask for a kings ransom for him and I wouldn't put my money on our scouting team judging by recent times.

The Spurs deal for Ndombele seems to be nearly in place according to the grapevine, regardless of what Lyon president said yesterday.

Are things starting to move a little in the English transfer market? There's more and more talk about Lukaku for Dybala swap. As we've said before, these things almost never happen and I still think he's most likely to go to Inter but I can't help but get sucked in a little. The Dybala of a couple of seasons ago at United? Yes, please. I know it's not what we really need, but yes please. The Dybala of the last 18 months doesn't sound like it'd work. I guess it depends on why he's been like that? I've not watched him enough over that time or even read that much about him to have an informed opinion, but that guy I was watching a few years ago would be amazing at United.

Excited to see how Cutrone does at Wolves. I don't think he's yet become what many think/hope he can be, but it'll be fun to see him continue on his way.

However, I'll be even more excited to see Moise Kean at Everton if it happens. I've only seen a few substitute appearance from him but heard a lot and, for those of us who indulge in Football Manager, he's one of the first people you try and buy 'cheap' in the last few editions of the game. I really hope this one happens.

Fabian Delph joining from City puts an end to his paid holiday there for much of his time at the club. A good player in my mind, but I'm not as convinced he'll be as good on the pitch over the course of a full season. It's probably not the case, but I feel as if he's not the player he could've been had he been playing week in, week out for the last 4 years.

Sadly Ademola Lookman has left Everton and gone to Leipzig, but it's almost certainly the best thing for both parties. Lookman should play a lot more there and Everton pretty much doubled their money. I wonder if Charlton had a sell on fee?

Idrissa Gueye has finally left Everton too and gone to PSG for the £29m which was offered in January. Pretty much a perfect signing for PSG I think.

I'm also interested to see Tom Heaton at Villa. More to see what happens at Burnley. Last season they were shocking with Hart between the sticks and the results only improved once Heaton came back from injury. I know they have Pope there, who'll probably be #1 starter and who did well when he took over from Heaton after his injury, but that still means a big wage back up keeper who'll want to prove himself. I like Heaton though and think it's a good deal for Villa. £8m is nothing now for a keeper in England and, with Premier League experience and the 'being British tax' you have to pay? It's almost free.

Has anyone seen much of Nicolas Pepe? Because it seems Arsenal are about to pay £72m for him and I honestly can't remember having seen him play. It seems that everyone is very excited about him, but I wonder how many actually know much beyond a few tabloid articles and youtube?