Is Die Hard (1988) overrated?

Tools    

Have you seen Krampus yet? I loved it

I think I'll start a new tradition by watching it every Christmas
Same here!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Have you seen Krampus yet? I loved it

I think I'll start a new tradition by watching it every Christmas
I'm so there, Blix!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh yeah. So how would you rank the Die Hard sequels?

For me, I would probably rank them along these lines:

1. Die Hard With A Vengeance
2. Live Free or Die Hard
3. Die Hard 2
4. A Good Day to Die Hard

What do you think?

Oh yeah. So how would you rank the Die Hard sequels?

For me, I would probably rank them along these lines:

1. Die Hard With A Vengeance
2. Live Free or Die Hard
3. Die Hard 2
4. A Good Day to Die Hard

What do you think?
I agree.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It's kind of hard whether or not A Good Day to Die Hard is worse than Die Hard 2 though.

Given Bruce Willis's age, A Good Day looks to be just this side of Die Hard of Hearing.
LMAO. Can't.Type.

I dont really think there's any such thing as an overrated movie. Just because I may not enjoy a film so much does not mean critics and viewers dont get pumped for it. Die Hard I thought was great fun. Gone Girl is one I mentioned earlier where I dont get the hype, but I'm not going to label it overrated.
Yeah, agreed with this. I do think there's such a thing as an overrated movie but i don't think anyone ever uses it right. The majority of the time you see a fan of a movie (or anything really) debate someone who has called something overrated about said movies merits, it ends with the person admitting it's subjective reasons that they couldn't get into it: found it boring, didn't like the characters, whatever. That's fine but it doesn't mean a movie is overrated just that you didn't connect to it, this is why every "Overrated Movies" thread here is terrible and should be outlawed.

this is why every "Overrated Movies" thread here is terrible and should be outlawed.
yeh I don't like the word, to be honest. Millions of people love TWD; it bores me, but that's my problem. The fans who love it obviously dont think it's overrated.

The Walking Dead is definitely overrated Nah, it's just bad.

To answer the question: i love Die Hard, i don't think it being called one of the best action movies is a stretch. It's tonnes of fun and i should see it again soon, it's been a while.

The Walking Dead is definitely overrated Nah, it's just bad.

To answer the question: i love Die Hard, i don't think it being called one of the best action movies is a stretch. It's tonnes of fun and i should see it again soon, it's been a while.
I saw Die Hard in Bangkok with two fellow travellers. Taking a crazy tuktuk back to our hotel at midnight we were yelping YIPPYKAYAYE MOFO. I want every cinema experience to give me that high. It's just a fun experience.

I've never seen Die Hard With a Vengeance

Or that 5th Die Hard but that doesn't matter, alot of people seem to prefer the 3rd over the 1st. Plus i love the 2nd despite its numerous problems.

Or that 5th Die Hard but that doesn't matter, alot of people seem to prefer the 3rd over the 1st. Plus i love the 2nd despite its numerous problems.
Is the 5th one the one with the young tech geek? I really liked it, and the asian villainess is so exquisite. Total kick ass chick.

Is the 5th one the one with the young tech geek? I really liked it, and the asian villainess is so exquisite. Total kick ass chick.
That's the fourth one. I thought that was alot better than it had any right being too. Is there even a fifth one, or am i imagining that?

Personally, I think With a Vengeance is second only to the original. You may find it worth a look.

Yep, there's a fifth one - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Good_Day_to_Die_Hard

I remember thinking this was the 6th when it came out because Die Hard 4 was called Die Hard 4.0 over here and it was called Live Free Or Die Hard in America.
I just looked it up as well. I haven't seen it. I can't even remember it being promoted here.

Welcome to the human race...
It's kind of hard whether or not A Good Day to Die Hard is worse than Die Hard 2 though.
Nah, it's way worse.

My order for the sequels is 3-2-4-5. It was very easy to hate 4 at the time because of how heavily it departed from the already-shaky plausibility of the previous three films' action sequences ("you just killed a car with a helicopter!") and also followed a rather messy cyber-hacking plot (plus going from Samuel L. Jackson to Justin Long as far as odd-couple buddies was a mess), but it held up a little better on re-watch. 5 was just aggressively bland and, for all of 2's faults, it hangs together much better. 3 works the best because it effectively functions as a standalone story.

Kinda late to the party, but here is how I rank the Die Hard flicks.

Die Hard
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Live Free or Die Hard (unrated version on DVD)
Die Hard 2
Live Free or Die Hard (the PG-13 theatrical version)
Colon Cancer
A Good Day to Die Hard