Good movies that are long (and better because of it)

Tools    

Gone With The Wind

I enjoyed every minute of this four hour film.

Gone With The Wind

I enjoyed every minute of this four hour film.
Good one. Me too. Riveting from start to finish & I’ve seen it many times.

I'm harming nobody, just robbing a few graves.
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. By the end of that movie you really feel like you've been on a journey, and the scene where the trio is facing each other is beautifully drawn out with Ennio Morricone's perfect soundtrack.

Gettysburg (1993) - 4 Hours, 31 Minutes and I would argue that every single one is necessary.

Believe it or not, I have never seen Dr. Zhivago
Wow, that is hard to believe. I’ve seen it many times. Really a beautiful movie.

I usually prefer movies that are between 01:20 and 01:45, I think this is long enough for most stories to be told, but for some stories a longer time is required for sure and if done brilliantly they will not feel boring and the time will pass so fast just as if you're watching a short movie
You could perhaps argue there's a divide between cinema that naturally works around 2 hours or less than cinema that needs significantly more.

Best films longer than 2 hours 40 mins or more for me...

The Seven Samurai
La Dolce Vita
Lawrence of Arabia
Andrei Rublev
Marketa Lazarova
Barry Lyndon
Stalker
Apoc Now
Once Upon A Time In America
Ran
A Brighter Summers Day
Yi Yi
Lord of the Rings
Blue is the Warmest Colour
Hard To Be A God

Believe it or not, I have never seen Dr. Zhivago

I thought it was okay, but I did not see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I need to watch it again. I went through a period where I would sit up and watch 2-3 movies in one night. That was not a good way to watch that film.

I don't actually wear pants.
I'd say the Human Condition trilogy's three films. They're all over three hours long, and they excel because there's so much story (the trilogy is based off of a book, or book trilogy, but I'm not totally sure which is correct) (I know the trilogy is based off of written word) to tell, and I hardly notice their length. Human Condition is my #1 trilogy ever.

Cinema Paradiso and Titanic are satisfying.

I thought it was okay, but I did not see what all the fuss is about.
Did you see the original, which is a masterpiece, or the re-make?

Did you see the original, which is a masterpiece, or the re-make?

I believe it was the original. Like I said I might not have given it a fair shake. Besides being very late at night, I started watching the second part first, and had to back up and watch it in order. I probably owe it to myself to give it another chance.

Brazil is an excellent example. Gilliam went over budget (as usual) and the American studios hated it. They cut the movie drastically and what was left was a pile of garbage. You can see a documentary about what the studios tried to do to this movie, and how Gilliam fought back.