Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Akira (1988) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Martin Liebman of Blu-ray.com mentions in his review of Training Day that there are certain directors he is a fan of based on one movie. He mentions Antoine Fuqua based on Training Day (of course) and goes on to mention Wolfgang Petersen based on Das Boot and several others. When I got to thinking about it, it occurred to me that most probably have such a director. For me, it's Katsuhiro Otomo and the basis is Akira. I've seen the film about 40 times and it never ceases to amaze me or wears out its welcome. Like most of my viewings, this one also involved the 1988 Streamline dub, and my love for that old dub hasn't diminished, either. From the voice acting and the energy the actors put into it - you can tell Clarke and co. had fun dubbing it - all the way down to the script - I can probably quote it verbatim - it's one of my favorite dubs and always will be. Not to mention the story, the animation, and the Geinoh Yamashirogumi score. If you want a full-blown review, you can find that in my thread, but, suffice it to say, Akira is still a cracking sci-fi actioner.

Steamboy (2004) - First Time on DVD

As a fan of Otomo's, it probably goes without saying that I'd been interested in this one for a while. Boy, does it deliver. Let's just say that if and when I get enough money, there will be nothing to stop me importing the Blu-ray from Australia. With that said, let it be stated right up front that anyone expecting Akira 2 is going to be invariably disappointed simply because that's not the kind of film Otomo was trying to make here. With that said, if a fan of Akira goes in with the right expectations (or even none at all) and simply trusts Otomo to make something great, they'll most likely enjoy it. Or at least, that's what I did. The story is a great one; I'm sure Otomo would accept nothing less. The animation is stunning, especially during the destruction scenes because no one animates destruction like Katsuhiro Otomo. Also, even with the movie set in Manchester and London, you can still tell these are Otomo's character designs simply because he has a very distinct style that's impossible to duplicate. We also get a pitch-perfect musical score by Steve Jablonsky. It's not the Geinoh Yamashirogumi score and it's nothing like the Geinoh Yamashirogumi score. Anyone expecting that would, again, be invariably disappointed. But I guess that hardly matters since it's perfect for Steamboy and the kind of film it is. Akira is a cyberpunk story set in this very year we're almost halfway through and Steamboy is a steampunk story set in the 19th century, so it's important to keep that in mind before bringing in unreasonable expectations. With that said, the English dub from Sony is a really good one. It was so cool watching one of the special features on this disc, Re-voicing Steamboy, and seeing that Otomo was right there and sound designer Kei Momose came back to design the sound for the dub. Sheeta (and Amy Alden) herself Anna Paquin, in her second time dubbing anime after Castle in the Sky, is excellent as James Ray Steam, the 13-year-old protagonist who has to figure out what's really going on when his father and grandfather start fighting against each other and these shadowy company men want the item the father and son invented together. It's amazing how convincing Paquin is as a boy. She just nails it. It was also pretty cool hearing Paquin mention that watching Akira with her boyfriend at the time made her a fan of Otomo and anime. Lord Yupa (and Captain Jean-Luc Picard) himself Patrick Stewart, mere months after dubbing Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, is also excellent as Lloyd, Ray's grandfather who tells him his father is dead and insists his son has become purely evil. Two actors who have each dubbed one of my absolute favorite Miyazaki films dubbing an Otomo film. Am I dreaming? So is Alfred Molina as Eddie, Ray's father who is clearly wigged out from whatever happened to him in the film's opening - What the hell happened to his hair? - and has become at least somewhat delusional. Alongside all the live-action stars, anime dubbing and voice acting veteran Kari Wahlgren also nails Scarlett O'Hara St. Jones, a 14-year-old American girl who is often engaged in friendly bickering with Ray. So is everyone else and the dub script is completely natural. All things considered, I really enjoyed Steamboy and I can definitely see myself revisiting it many times in the future. Wow. Why doesn't Otomo make more movies? He's certainly got a knack for it.

Interesting perspective. Do you have an example where this viewpoint applies to you personally? Meaning, what belief do you maintain regardless of any vast evidence contradicting that belief? If that is getting too personal, a no response is perfectly understandable you prefer to keep that to yourself.
By definition I should be mostly unaware of such beliefs. That is, people do not know the stuff that is their dogma and the stuff that is not dogma but well stablished knowledge.

But if you want an answer I suspect that I am systematically wrong when I guess other people's information and beliefs but I often think I am right.

'The Beach Bum' (2019)

Directed by Harmony Korine

One of the few good things about this dreadful Trump era is that it's inspiring great art, as tragedies often do. Korine's new film is a wacky, hedonistic look into wealth, creativity and responsibility. Matthew McConaughey plays a wastrel with a rich wife. There are parts that are hilarious and parts that make little sense. It touches on flawed geniuses, anti materialism, and has a superb soundtrack. Snoop dog and Jonah Hill play periphery characters with funny lines. There are parts that resemble 'The Wolf of Wall Street', 'Pineapple Express' and 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' There are some scenes I shouldn't have laughed so hard at. But that's the point. It also looks fantastic. Possibly the best looking film of 2019 so far. Like 'Spring Breakers' it dabbles in neon lights, the ocean and cityscape backdrops.

Some people will hate this movie. I enjoyed spending time in the chaos.

7.1/10

Two more weekend re-watches:

Brian DePalma and Al Pacino were the driving forces behind this incredible remake. This movie has established its own life to the point that people sometimes forget it is a remake. Oliver Stone's screenplay could have used a little trimming, but I never get tired of the "Goodnight to the Bad Guy" scene in the restaurant and the bomb under the car scene.

The only time Broadway legend Gwen Verdon was allowed to bring a character she originated on stage to the big screen. Ray Walston also is allowed to recreate his stage role as Mr. Applegate AKA The Devil. Tab Hunter is a bland leading man, but we still have Bob Fosse's incredible choreography...this is also the only movie where you can see Fosse and Verdon dance together in "Who's Got the Pain?" which is worth the price of admission alone.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007)

Geez, the lengths a person will go to for an abortion. What's wrong with a good old fashioned kick down the stairs?
Bottle of gin in a roasting bath Cricket, that's my usual Saturday night anyway.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007)

Geez, the lengths a person will go to for an abortion. What's wrong with a good old fashioned kick down the stairs?
Could you be more distasteful?

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Plus One (Jeff Chan and Andrew Rhymer, 2019)
Coming out this Friday, I got to see an early screening of this comedy about two lifelong friends who during a summer of weddings, decide to become each other's "plus one". Maya Erskine is hilarious in the film as the very blunt Alice and Jack Quaid (son of Dennis and Meg Ryan) is also great as Ben, who struggles with having to deal with his father's impending third marriage amidst the chaos. We kind of know where this is going to go, but these two's chemistry drive the film and make you want to go along for the ride.

Could you be more distasteful?
At least he didn't use a rusty coat hanger.

Maybe we need a Babies You Couldn't Even Finish thread?

Arrival -2016

Saw this on tv a couple days ago. Had been meaning to get around to it for a couple years. I actually really enjoyed the movie. Really neat visuals. The story held my attention the whole time. Well acted, especially Amy Adams. When the hell is she going get an Oscar? Denis Villeneuve is definitely a stud, my man can make a movie. Sicario was a very cool flick. Prisoners was good but ultimately sort of forgettable to me, I don't remember much from it. But Blade Runner 2049 was one of the coolest most beautiful shot movies ever. Definitely keep an eye out for his projects.

With this movie I was sort of just expecting some clunky alien movie that never showed the aliens and made some ambiguous point at the end. However I was surprised at the end how moved I was. The question it asks at the end and the way in which he directed it really hit me in the feels. I was pleasantly surprised how much I like it. I don't think I'll be looking to revisit it anytime soon but it was well done. Makes you remember there actual is some talent left out there in Hollywood trying to entertain you rather than preach to you.

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5. Probably give it a 4 if it felt more rewatchable.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

My Cousin Vinny - 1992

Saw this movie on TV a couple days ago as well. It's one of those movies I should have seen but never got around to it. Always heard about it but literally knew nothing about it. I was honestly expecting sort of a serious crime drama in New York or something ha. Got a light hearted murder trail in Alabama lol. It was actually really refreshing to watch a light hearted take on a New Yorker in the South. Feel like if they made this today they would have to show how racist and backwards Alabama/The South is. They poke fun at both New York and the South. Feel like you couldn't make this in today's climate. It's only purpose is to try and entertain you rather than preach some message. Like I said refrshing. I miss the 90s.

Joe Pesci was really good in a lighter role. It was just hard to think Pesci could land a chick like a prime Marisa Tomei ha. They have chemistry and make it work well enough to forget she is out of his league ha. But I see why Tomei won her Oscar for this. She was amazing. She was beautiful, charming and confident in this role. She is still a fox but damn she was a major fox back then. That faucet scene still has me laughing.

It is a pretty goofy premises is really it's only detriment. It's pretty generic in it's outcome. But once you get the feel for the tone you forgive it then it charms you. It was refreshing to watch and I got a kick out of it. Some memorable scenes.

I'd give it 3 out of 5. Maybe will improve if I watch it again.

Dark Phoenix: 3/10

Well, I wasn't expecting that answer, especially considering people have been living in the Information Age for some time now. People being unaware of overwhelming evidence against their belief might have been more common before the seventies, but current times, it would be an isolated few that maintain a shield against any challenge that questions their belief.
I don't like Jimmy Kimmel, but I think this video says more than enough:

Unregistered User

Widows (2018)

Not what I expected from McQueen but fairly entertaining, if a bit underwhelming. If it needed to be an all star cast, I wouldn't have picked these.

The Salesman (2016)

My 4th film from Farhadi and my (slightly) second favourite behind A Separation, not surprisingly. Again this was an intense drama, at times almost playing out like a psychological thriller but felt a lot more human this time. Good film.

+

Lucky Star (Frank Borzage, 1929)
+
Janet Gaynor sells herself as a filthy little seventeen year old quite well

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Head Count (Elle Callahan, 2019): During a weekend visit with his older brother, a young man encounters a group of vacationers and instantly falls for the ninth wheel. During a night of telling campfire tales, he recites a poem he reads, which conjures up a creature known as the Hisji. First time director Callahan created the Hisji based on her experience of mythological creatures. Great twists throughout the film and eclectic cast of characters.