Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

The average of the the two

The Ice House (1978) – 5.5/10

WARNING: spoilers below
I said a few posts back that Stigma, which preceded this film in the Ghost Story for Christmas series, wasn't a ghost story, but horror. This feels barely like horror and more of a 'tale of unease', but unlike Stigma it sensibly doesn't begin with the title card "A Ghost Story" .

A very peculiar watch. I decided that the weird behaviour of the spa owners was better suited to a period piece, possibly Edwardian, but that, in what was then modern day, it was hard to accept the other characters' awareness of this intimidating eccentricity and tolerating it. There's a mild hint of hypnotism or a kind of lotus-eaters effect but not enough to mitigate this issue.

I was racking my brain to remember where I'd seen Geoffrey Burridge before and this morning it came to me that he'd been the villain Dorian in the Blake's 7 episode Rescue. Elizabeth Romilly stood out the most because of her more layered character – she's a little bit reminiscent of Amanda Donohoe in The Lair of the White Worm: seductive and revelling in her own corruption.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

: Laughed my butt off and I see star/producer/writer/director Allie Loukas as a face to look out for. She reminded me of a meshing of Ellie Kemper and Ashley Clements and does a great job in her debut film.

: Loved this sequel, emotional, tense at times. The boxing choreography is fantastic, especially in the final fight. I saw a deleted scene recently and wished they had put that in the film itself.

Butterfly & Sword
: An ensemble cast (by today's standards) of Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, Michelle Yeoh, Donnie Yen, and Joey Wang star in this wuxia film loosely based on a 1976 Shaw Brothers film, Killer Clans. A love rectangle mixed in with the story of a clan who must retrieve a letter from an evil warlord to save their clan. Great action sequences as well.

Climax, solid 8/10. It's a hard movie to describe my emotions about, but Noe's camerawork and the insane performances from the dancers really put you in the environment, making me feel like I was a part of the nightmares happening on screen. Surprisingly tame for it's subject matter, as most was implied rather than shown, which is something I enjoyed (if that's the right word in this situation) as it left the horrors in your head instead of showing it, making you know it's faked, if you get my drift. Not as crazy and good as Enter the Void imo, but Climax is still a solid trip.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) - re-watch - this movie is very rewatchable

It's probably better than Without a Clue (1988) – I watched it again about a year ago and I was sorry it had lost some of its original charm. Ben Kingsley's exasperation as Watson can be very funny:

"What's he like? When will you see him next? Never! That's when! Never!"

First Man

Who needs science fiction when you have science fact!!! knowing that all this happened was what made this for me and by end I was just as invested in the deeply drawn human characters and relationships as I was in the mesmerizing space scenes and moon landing.. in doing so I think Damien Chazelle has made this moment more accessible to everybody and nobody will need to do it again, loved it.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.