Song Tournament 31

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Scorpions - Holiday vs The Glorious Sons - Heavy - The second was a little too country for my taste...

Fats Domino - Blueberry Hill vs Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot The one Filter track I like...

The Steel Woods - Straw in the Wind vs The Pretty Reckless - Take Me Down Was just complaining about country a couple of selections up, but The Steel Woods track is actually pretty good. I still like the Taylor Momsen track more, though.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Keep a Little Soul vs The Alan Parsons Project - I Wouldn't Want to be Like You I can't abide Tom Petty. I also happen to like The Alan Parsons Project a whole lot. Easy choice.

Tom Petty - Cabin Down Below vs Rotting Christ - Devadevam Tom Petty again? Vs. metal? Another easy choice.

ROUND 1 DAY 1

Scorpions - Holiday vs The Glorious Sons - Heavy
(I'm a fan of The Scorpions, but a lot of their ballads blur together. The Glorious Sons, despite being Canadian, sound like authentic southern rock.)

Fats Domino - Blueberry Hill vs Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot
("Blueberry Hill" is an all-time great song, but "Hey Man, Nice Shot" always provides me with a nice kick in the ass, and that alternative aggression better suits my mood at the moment.)

The Steel Woods - Straw in the Wind vs The Pretty Reckless - Take Me Down
(I've liked most of the songs I've heard from The Pretty Reckless, and this song is no exception, but as with everything else I've heard from them, their sound is a bit too generic for me to call it anything but decent. Love the lyrics and Skynyrd-inspired sound of "Straw in the Wind.")

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Keep a Little Soul vs The Alan Parsons Project - I Wouldn't Want to be Like You
(Love Petty, but the funkiness of the second song was a welcome change of pace at this point in the set.)

Tom Petty - Cabin Down Below vs Rotting Christ - Devadevam
(Nothing against Petty, since I like "Cabin Down Below" and those cool guitar licks, but I'm weirdly into the Rotting Christ song with its heavy, trance-like, meditative quality. I picture Hindu monks rocking out to this song.)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Keep a Little Soul vs The Alan Parsons Project - I Wouldn't Want to be Like You

Suspect's Reviews

ROUND 1 DAY 1

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

ROUND 1 DAY 1

Tough one - I liked both. Going with the one I haven't heard before.

Easy one for me as I've nominated that Filter song before. It's a great song. The Fats Domino one is ok...I've never been the biggest fan of it.

Another tough one, as I quite like The Pretty Reckless. Not enough to get any of their albums but I think they're quite good. The Steel Woods is new to me, too...liked it a tad better.

Easy vote for me as I'm not a fan of Tom Petty, but I've always liked The Alan Parsons Project. My dad played a lot of them when I was growing up, so it's kind of comfort music for me.

Easiest vote of the round for me. ****ing loooooove Rotting Christ. Of corpse.

Let the night air cool you off
Scorpions - Holiday vs The Glorious Sons - Heavy - Vote for the second cause The Sopranos reference. Not a big fan of Scorpions or really the second song, but the second song is more my style.

Fats Domino - Blueberry Hill vs Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot - I dig the second song. I just watched the video Dwyer's suicide.... Jesus Christ. I'll vote for the first song because there is a little bit of sentimental value attached to it for me, and it is an all-time classic. I look forward to voting for whoever wins in the upcoming rounds.

The Steel Woods - Straw in the Wind vs The Pretty Reckless - Take Me Down - Holy sh*t. The first song is exactly my style... let me guess, Captain Spaulding nominated this? The Pretty Reckless don't seem too bad, but it would take a monster song to outdo this first-time listening to its competition.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Keep a Little Soul vs The Alan Parsons Project - I Wouldn't Want to be Like You - I've always been aware of The Alan Parsons Project, but I've never pulled the deep dive. This song is straight funk, I dig it. Petty, on the other hand, I've always been lukewarm on.

Tom Petty - Cabin Down Below vs Rotting Christ - Devadevam - I didn't know what to expect from a band called Rotting Christ, but I am getting some Carcosa vibes. Once again, lukewarm to the late Petty.

Top Five Songs from this Set

1. Straw in the Wind
2. I Wouldn't Want to be Like You
3. Blueberry Hill
4. Hey Man, Nice Shot
5. Devadevam

It was squeaky bum time there for the last 3 matchups...and here are

DAY 1
SURVIVORS

The Glorious Sons - Heavy
Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot
The Steel Woods - Straw in the Wind
The Alan Parsons Project - I Wouldn't Want to be Like You
Rotting Christ - Devadevam

Nicole Atkins - A Little Crazy vs The Folksmen - Start Me Up - Eeek! Neither of these is my cup of tea AT ALL. Went with the first one.

Amorphis - I of Crimson Blood vs Hacride - Perturbed - Wasn't feeling the second track. Vocal was a little to metal core for my taste. The first track is on one of my favorite albums of all time.

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off vs Moloko - Forever More I have heard Tay Swift songs I have liked, but this isn't one of them. Second track had a good dance beat, at least...

Planet of Zeus - Them Nights vs Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman - First track sort of reminded me of old Corrosion of Conformity - I liked it well enough. Love Coheed and Cambria, though, and The Afterman is such a great song; it's one of my wife's favorite songs ever!

Chic - I Want Your Love vs Maroon 5 (ft. Cardi B) - Girls Like You - Went with the funk. I also really liked the concept of the Maroon 5 video, but man, Cardi B just rubs me the wrong way.

ROUND 1 DAY 2

Nicole Atkins - A Little Crazy vs The Folksmen - Start Me Up
I don't care for most female voices. Atkins is not an exception. Also I love A Mighty Wind.

Amorphis - I of Crimson Blood vs Hacride - Perturbed
I hated both of these, but the first is marginally less grating.

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off vs Moloko - Forever More
The second one gets my vote on account of not being Taylor Swift.

Planet of Zeus - Them Nights vs Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman
I didn't care for either of these, but really didn't like the vocal in the second one.

Chic - I Want Your Love vs Maroon 5 (ft. Cardi B) - Girls Like You
Adam Levine bugs.

Let the night air cool you off
Nicole Atkins - A Little Crazy vs The Folksmen - Start Me Up - I recognized the Nicole Atkins name; it kept bugging me that I couldn't put a face or voice to it, but as soon as I clicked on the link it all came rushing back. She's got a powerful voice and reminds me of Patsy Cline a bit. I'd still Patsy over her, but Nicole ain't bad. The crazy white boys in the second one are interesting enough.

Amorphis - I of Crimson Blood) vs Hacride - Perturbed - I don't really have strong feelings about this match-up. The second one I was enjoying despite thinking that I really shouldn't be enjoying it because it's not really the type of metal I gravitate towards... so that's sort of a compliment.

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off vs Moloko - Forever More - Charli XCX has a pretty dope cover of "Shake It Off". This is an easy choice.

Planet of Zeus - Them Nights vs Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman - I dig the music in the first track a lot, the vocals and lyrics don't seem to be pushing my buttons. I've always kinda been like "Coheed & Cambria? I guess they are cool or whatever." Pretty much still feel like that.

Chic - I Want Your Love vs Maroon 5 (ft. Cardi B) - Girls Like You - I am fascinated by Cardi B, she is so likable. I just don't know what to make of her music yet, and even if I find that it isn't great, I don't want to call it bad. I don't want to speak ill of her, she's adorable. Maroon 5 on the other hand...

ROUND 1 DAY 2

Nicole Atkins - A Little Crazy vs The Folksmen - Start Me Up
(Whether you like country or not, I'd hope that people can appreciate the great vocal on "A Little Crazy." JJ's Patsy Cline comparison is spot-on. The goofy, folk parody of The Rolling Stones' "Start It Up" is okay, but not something I'd want to hear again.)

Amorphis - I of Crimson Blood vs Hacride - Perturbed
(Found the first track generic and forgettable. It's not bad, but nothing about it distinguishes itself from other similar sounding metal songs. Don't love "Perturbed," but I admire its energy and aggression. Bonus points for getting to see boobs in the music video.)

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off vs Moloko - Forever More
(I despise Taylor Swift. Seeing that this video has almost 3 billion views makes me want to press the "launch" button on my personal set of nukes. "Forever More"' was alright. For a dance track, it didn't make me want to move, but it could've been five minutes of someone making fart noises with their armpit and I still would've voted for it over the black hole of musical talent that is Taylor Swift.)

Planet of Zeus - Them Nights vs Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman
(I've tried unsuccessfully to get into Coheed & Cambria in the past. Kept hoping "The Afterman" would kick into a second gear but it never happened. "Them Nights" has a really cool groove and I like how it builds. It's a song I keep returning to, even though it flirts with a level of quality it never quite reaches.)

Chic - I Want Your Love vs Maroon 5 (ft. Cardi B) - Girls Like You
(Not going to lie, I found the second song extremely catchy.)

That first set was brutal. Three out of five of those matches had my noms and they all lost. Ouch.
Everyone's had the odd brutal set in these tournaments. Hope it doesn't put you off. I had one where I kept having my own matched up against each other. At first I thought WHOAH WHYYY...but then realised at least that meant one of the two was going livig to fight another day. Now I almost hope random.org does that to me again.

Edit: will vote when I get home in a couple of hours.

Everyone's had the odd brutal set in these tournaments. Hope it doesn't put you off.
Oh, I'm well aware. I've done many past song tournaments and I'm used to my songs not meshing with other people's tastes. That first set was especially brutal though because two of those three noms were from my all-time favorite artist, who apparently some people here "can't abide."

Oh, I'm well aware. I've done many past song tournaments and I'm used to my songs not meshing with other people's tastes. That first set was especially brutal though because two of those three noms were from my all-time favorite artist, who apparently some people here "can't abide."
It's his voice, mostly. For what it's worth, the guy is pretty great at writing music. The issue with me is that a combination of a voice that I find annoying, and a massive amount of overplay during the first couple of decades of my life put him in the SKIP category for me. There are other artists I really like who have songs that get the same treatment from me. Black Dog by Led Zeppelin comes to mind immediately. If I never hear that song again, it will be too soon. Love the band, but man, that song is ridiculously overplayed. Same goes for Petty tracks like Freefallin' and Refugee. Great tunes, but I have heard them WAY too many times.

Keep in mind: I'm old!

It's his voice, mostly.
No worries, Seds. There are plenty of artists that I absolutely can't stand that others really love. Oasis comes to mind as one. If I never hear them again, it'll be too soon. Their voices damn near cause me physical pain.

Oh, and I really don't like metal. Yet I've apparently joined a tournament populated by several metalheads. Yay me.

There's a reason I've only played my all time fav artist once in all the tournaments I've done - it's too weird for most people, so I know I'm running a nomination right into the wall by using their stuff. I'm not really here to torture people, ok, maybe a little , sometimes hopefully make them laugh with a song even if I know it's going to hit the wall immediately.