Plot element involving tendons.

Tools    

This one is really out there (and I've been thinking about it as I've developed something resembling peroneal tendonitis)...

Don't know if this was from a movie or a TV show, but it's just a plot element where a character developed the ability to jump higher and run faster after an operation on the tendons in their ankles - the surgery was not done quite right and the tendons were made too tight which resulted in the person gaining far above average jumping abilities.

Whatever this was from, the theory behind it never wrang quite true - I'd imagine in a botched tendon surgery where they were tightened too much, it would most likely put the person in danger of pulling or tearing the tendons or making their flexibility more immobilized rather than giving them enhanced athletic abilities (but I could be wrong).

Any ideas on what this was from (or on the concept itself)?

It's the basis for Rookie of the Year, where the protagonist breaks his arm and the tendons heal "tight," giving him the ability to throw very fast. Don't remember anything with the same concept for jumping, though.

It's the basis for Rookie of the Year, where the protagonist breaks his arm and the tendons heal "tight," giving him the ability to throw very fast. Don't remember anything with the same concept for jumping, though.
Wow! I totally missed this response way back in February! Thanks, Chris! (I thought this thread had gone without any reply.)

This must be the movie I was thinking of as the concept is pretty obscure - now that you mention it, I do remember this being part of the story and the explanation for why a teenager could throw better than a major league adult!

Maybe I misconstrued the body area due to thinking about my own problems...

As to my own peroneal tendinitis - I've been doing calve raises on the back steps before & after every walk. I let my heals hang over the lip of the cement step, stretch all the way down then pump up on my toes (holding the railings to maintain my balance).

I have a theory on how I got this way - I had bunionectomies on each foot (10 years apart), but after the first one I stopped standing on my toes... ever... (for 20 years!). I think those muscles down by the ankle used to stand on one's toes needed exercise & to be re-strengthened. The ankle exercises I've been doing seemed to have helped the problem a lot!