16 votes
13.95%
6 votes
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
18.60%
8 votes
Parasite
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Now that was a classic. People go crazy about Mr. Bean. But Black Adder was his best work!

Well, I saw 1917 today and as much as I loved Joker, I'm pretty sure this film is going to win Best Picture and Director. Still have one more nominee to watch (Parasite).

Well, I saw 1917 today and as much as I loved Joker, I'm pretty sure this film is going to win Best Picture and Director. Still have one more nominee to watch (Parasite).
Yeah, it sure looks like 1917 will win the top 2 prizes. However, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or Joker winning Best Picture would be a pleasant surprise.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

A more pleasant surprise would be Tarantino winning director. The guy has never won a directing Oscar.
Oh, I would be over the moon if Tarantino wins Director.
Since he has one more movie to go, I think the Academy will give him the award for that movie to make up for the times he didn't win.

I have now seen all nine Best Picture nominees and my feelings about this award have not really changed,,,as much as I'd love to see Joker win, I still think it's going to 1917.

A system of cells interlinked
Checked Ford vs. Ferrari off my list over the weekend. Liked this one quite a bit more than I thought I would. I don't think it has much of a chance of winning Best Picture, but it is one of my favorites of the bunch that I have seen so far.

BAFTA for Best Picture (one of 7 it won)

The BAFTAs are not the best predictor for Oscar gold, although it looks like a match this year.

Going way back to when the British Academy of Film and Television Arts began giving out their annual awards in 1947 they had either fewer nominees for Best Film than the Oscars or many, many more. For a bunch of years in the 1950s they named up to EIGHTEEN films as nominees. In more recent years the BAFTAs have stuck with the format of only five nominees for Best Film that they have used since 1999 (from 1966 - 1998 they had four nominees) and not expanded to a max of ten like the Oscar's Best Picture did in 2009. There have also been release date issues over the decades, especially pre-1990s, as sometimes a big American release wouldn't reach British cinemas for eligibility until the next calendar year.

Even with all of that there were plenty of years when the BAFTA and Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences matched: Best Years of Our Lives, Hamlet, All About Eve, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Ben-Hur, The Apartment, Lawrence of Arabia, Tom Jones, My Fair Lady, Midnight Cowboy, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Annie Hall, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, The Last Emperor, Schindler's List, The English Patient, Shakespeare in Love, and American Beauty all in the 20th Century. But that left many, many years when the BAFTAs went with something that the Oscars didn't even nominate, much less reward, such as Vittorio De Sica's Bicycle Thieves, Max Ophüls' La Ronde, David Lean's The Sound Barrier, René Clément's Forbidden Games and Gervaise, Henri-Georges Clouzot's The Wages of Fear, Grigori Chukhrai's Ballad of a Soldier, John Schlesinger's Sunday Bloody Sunday, François Truffaut's Day for Night, Louis Malle's Lacombe Lucien, Martin Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Lewis Gilbert's Educating Rita, Woody Allen's The Purple Rose of Cairo, Claude Berri's Jean de Florette, and Alan Parker's The Commitments.

The BAFTAs have also done some alternative choices to Oscar like Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb instead of The Sound of Music, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? over A Man for All Seasons, The Graduate instead of Oliver!, The Elephant Man in place of Ordinary People, A Room with a View rather than Platoon, Dead Poets Society not Driving Miss Daisy, GoodFellas rather than Dances with Wolves, Four Weddings and a Funeral instead of Forrest Gump, Sense & Sensibility in place of Braveheart, and The Full Monty over Titanic.

But even that is compounded by the fact that the BAFTAs also give an award for Best British Film. Sometimes they are the same, their Best Film and Best British Film, as they are this year for 1917 and going back to titles like The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia.

Looking at the past two decades, the 21st Century has seen the Oscar and the BAFTA match only eight times thus far: Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, The King's Speech, The Artist, Argo, and 12 Years a Slave, with the last six of those all coming in a row but no matches since the 2014 ceremonies. More often this century the BAFTAs have been that alternative pick: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring over A Beautiful Mind, The Pianist instead of Chicago, The Aviator and not Million Dollar Baby, Brokeback Mountain instead of Crash, The Queen rather than The Departed, Atonement in favor of No Country for Old Men, Boyhood instead of Birdman, The Revenant not Spotlight, La La Land in favor of Moonlight (no envelope confusion there), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri instead of The Shape of Water, and last year they went with Roma over Green Book.

This year it does look like the two bodies are lining up again for Mendes' immersive WWI piece, which will make the BAFTAs 9 for 20 in accuracy this century. But maybe this will start another run like 2008 - 2014?

BTW the five nominees for the BAFTA were 1917, The Irishman, Joker, Once Upon a Time on Hollywood, and Parasite which matches the Oscar Best Picture nominees who have corresponding Best Director nominations and excludes the superfluous Oscar nods for Ford v Ferrari, Jojo Rabbit, Little Women, and Marriage Story.

Tomorrow is the due date for Oscar ballots. The Oscar ceremony is this coming Sunday, February 9th.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Checked Ford vs. Ferrari off my list over the weekend. Liked this one quite a bit more than I thought I would. I don't think it has much of a chance of winning Best Picture, but it is one of my favorites of the bunch that I have seen so far.
It was good, but I don't get the Best picture nomination

Finally finished watching them, as I saw 1917 yesterday.
My official ranking:
1. Parasite (9/10)
2. Marriage Story (8/10)
3. The Irishman (8/10)
4. Little Women (8/10)
5. 1917 (8/10)
6. Jojo Rabbit (8/10)
7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (6/10)
8. Ford v Ferrari (6/10)
9. Joker (4/10)

Any of the top six I’d be happy with winning.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Not seen 1917, tough choice between Joker and The Irishman. Those scenes in the cafe between Pesci / De Niro and between other legendary actors were too much of a treat not to vote for.

The BAFTAs are not the best predictor for Oscar gold, although it looks like a match this year.

Going way back to when the British Academy of Film and Television Arts began giving out their annual awards in 1947 they had either fewer nominees for Best Film than the Oscars or many, many more. For a bunch of years in the 1950s they named up to EIGHTEEN films as nominees. In more recent years the BAFTAs have stuck with the format of only five nominees for Best Film that they have used since 1999 (from 1966 - 1998 they had four nominees) and not expanded to a max of ten like the Oscar's Best Picture did in 2009. There have also been release date issues over the decades, especially pre-1990s, as sometimes a big American release wouldn't reach British cinemas for eligibility until the next calendar year.

Even with all of that there were plenty of years when the BAFTA and Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences matched: Best Years of Our Lives, Hamlet, All About Eve, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Ben-Hur, The Apartment, Lawrence of Arabia, Tom Jones, My Fair Lady, Midnight Cowboy, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Annie Hall, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, The Last Emperor, Schindler's List, The English Patient, Shakespeare in Love, and American Beauty all in the 20th Century. But that left many, many years when the BAFTAs went with something that the Oscars didn't even nominate, much less reward, such as Vittorio De Sica's Bicycle Thieves, Max Ophüls' La Ronde, David Lean's The Sound Barrier, René Clément's Forbidden Games and Gervaise, Henri-Georges Clouzot's The Wages of Fear, Grigori Chukhrai's Ballad of a Soldier, John Schlesinger's Sunday Bloody Sunday, François Truffaut's Day for Night, Louis Malle's Lacombe Lucien, Martin Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Lewis Gilbert's Educating Rita, Woody Allen's The Purple Rose of Cairo, Claude Berri's Jean de Florette, and Alan Parker's The Commitments.

The BAFTAs have also done some alternative choices to Oscar like Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb instead of The Sound of Music, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? over A Man for All Seasons, The Graduate instead of Oliver!, The Elephant Man in place of Ordinary People, A Room with a View rather than Platoon, Dead Poets Society not Driving Miss Daisy, GoodFellas rather than Dances with Wolves, Four Weddings and a Funeral instead of Forrest Gump, Sense & Sensibility in place of Braveheart, and The Full Monty over Titanic.

But even that is compounded by the fact that the BAFTAs also give an award for Best British Film. Sometimes they are the same, their Best Film and Best British Film, as they are this year for 1917 and going back to titles like The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia.

Looking at the past two decades, the 21st Century has seen the Oscar and the BAFTA match only eight times thus far: Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, The King's Speech, The Artist, Argo, and 12 Years a Slave, with the last six of those all coming in a row but no matches since the 2014 ceremonies. More often this century the BAFTAs have been that alternative pick: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring over A Beautiful Mind, The Pianist instead of Chicago, The Aviator and not Million Dollar Baby, Brokeback Mountain instead of Crash, The Queen rather than The Departed, Atonement in favor of No Country for Old Men, Boyhood instead of Birdman, The Revenant not Spotlight, La La Land in favor of Moonlight (no envelope confusion there), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri instead of The Shape of Water, and last year they went with Roma over Green Book.

This year it does look like the two bodies are lining up again for Mendes' immersive WWI piece, which will make the BAFTAs 9 for 20 in accuracy this century. But maybe this will start another run like 2008 - 2014?

BTW the five nominees for the BAFTA were 1917, The Irishman, Joker, Once Upon a Time on Hollywood, and Parasite which matches the Oscar Best Picture nominees who have corresponding Best Director nominations and excludes the superfluous Oscar nods for Ford v Ferrari, Jojo Rabbit, Little Women, and Marriage Story.

Tomorrow is the due date for Oscar ballots. The Oscar ceremony is this coming Sunday, February 9th.

Everyone is already well aware of the issues that have been justifyably levelled at the Academy Awards, and this year's BAFTAs likewise drew deserved criticis. So naturally neither are infallable, and not all bodies are going to view films in the same manner. Both have made the wrong choices over the years for whatever reason and that goes for any film award, be it institutional. critics choices, populist or jury votes, or any other measure, and that is even before taking into consideration the level of competition in any given year.

The politics of the Award season may have changed over the years, whether we are talking about blacklists or the old studio system playing favourites, or in more recent times, social changes or Weinstein & Miramax essentially creating strategies solely dedicated to winning Oscars in the 90's, which leads us to where it is today. There are so many films we can all look back on and wonder, how the hell did that beat something more deserving or has stood the test of time infinitely better, etc.

The point being there are any number of factors that can influence and provide context as to why a certain film may do better with any given awards competition

Welcome to the human race...
Now that I've seen all the nominees, this is my personal ranking...

1. Parasite
2. Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
3. The Irishman
4. Marriage Story
5. Little Women
6. Ford v Ferrari
7. 1917
8. Joker
9. Jojo Rabbit

Despite that, I'm not about to argue with the prediction that 1917 will actually win it.

9. Joker (4/10)
Nice to see someone else who disliked Joker, cheers.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If I'm right in my prediction that Parasite will be a big upset and be the first foreign language film to win, I'll do a little dance and hold it over Holden....FOREVER!!!

They always seem to "apologize" the following year with noms or wins, no? Green Book over Roma? Maybe this time they switch it around.

Suspect's Reviews