Film views from Sarge

→ in
Tools    

Legend in my own mind

1917 (2020)

After seeing a trailer for this film, I deliberately avoided any further trailers, reviews or discussion, as I wanted to experience it with as much of it as unknown as possible.

Brief outline plot

Set in WW1, a young British soldier is commissioned with delivering a message to advancing allied forces that they are heading into a trap set by the Germans. The message is time sensitve, as the allied forces are set to advance in a matter of hours. It also happens that the regiment that he needs to deliver the message to, is the one where his brother is serving. He is asked to choose another soldier to go with him and deliver the letter in order to avoid a massacre of thousands of allied troops.

What I liked

This film is a visual masterpiece! The cinematography is outstanding, with so much attention to detail. The camera is alongside the main protagonists of the story throughout and it places you right there alongside them on their mission.
In a seeming contrast, the stunning colour and definition captures the horror of war and the scarred landscape and people that are affected by it.
An absolute materpiece by Deakins.

There seemed to be an authenticity to the film. It had obviously been well researched, but the quality of the sets took me directly to the battlefields and I could almost smell the death and decay.

There was a tension that was almost tangible that ran throughout the film. As well as the tension created by what we know of the horrors of this conflict, the time pressure on the mission creates a futher sense of urgency for the viewer.

What could be better

Maybe it was intentional, maybe it was the acting (although that may be a tad unfair), but I felt that the character development was lacking. I did feel a sense of warmth towards them but I didn't feel that I got to know them. As I said this could be intentional, as the enormity of the war dwarfed the story of any individual although it was made up of thousands of individual stories.
The characters lacked the depth of those of such films as Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge.

I thought the ending was a little rushed after the build up of the first two thirds of the film, but that may have been influenced by the 2 hr run time.

In summary

This is a visually stunning spectacle that takes the viewer on a journey of tension and courage. I think it captures some of the emotion of the characters driving the story and also the young men that experineced the horrors of WW1.
It is a film that I will seek to own and is righfully receiving many plaudits.

Legend in my own mind

When I first saw the trailer for this film a couple of years ago, I was really excited. The story of Robin Hood is one of my favourites from childhood, but I have always been somewhat underwhelmed by each film retelling, although I haven't watched 'Prince of thieves' as a fully grown adult.
After my initial excitement, I heard little else, good or bad and therefore didn't rush to see it.
As it was on Netflix now, I figured I would finally sit down and watch it, in the hope that it would be one of those pleasant surprises.

It wasn't!

What I liked

This film flattered to deceive in so many ways. There were promising bits and horrible bits in each aspect of the film. Some of the casting was good, some was awful. There were good acting performances and there were some shockers. There were parts of the film that looked outstanding, only to be undermined by dodgy CGI.
The story could have been great, but it was let down by the hit and miss nature of all of the things that I have mentioned.

What could be better

See above - Everything!
What this film is and what it could have been are miles apart. It is just a missed opportunity.
One thing that irked me a great deal was the costumes. Robin hood is set in 11th/12th century England and the people are wearing clobber that can only be described as a mix between something from Paris fashion week and 'The Hunger games'.

Summary

It just could and should have been so much more. It is halfway to a really good film. It's like someone has made a film and was drunk for half of the time. It is a real shame.

I don't think I've seen any raving reviews of Robin Hood, though I'm a little surprised your rating isn't lower given the criticism you gave it haha

Legend in my own mind
I don't think I've seen any raving reviews of Robin Hood, though I'm a little surprised your rating isn't lower given the criticism you gave it haha
I was torn because I said it was a mix of good and bad, so I went straight down the middle.

Legend in my own mind
Arlington road (1999)

I have seen this before, but not for 20 years and I could not remember anything about it.

What I liked

This is a classy psycholigical thriller and it is carried superbly by Robbins and Bridges with superb support from Cusack.
The film creates a real sense of tension and panic and one of the best things is that it keeps you guessing throughout.
The simplicity of it is also to be admired. There is not many complex shots or juming locations, but it has all of the ingredients to keep you invested mentally and emotionally.

What could be better?

Some of the child actors and/or characters were a bit dull.
I also felt that some of the reactions of the characters were:
A) Unbelievable
B) Cliche
C) Both
A few times I found myself (either out loud or in my head) saying 'You just wouldn't do that'
That said, I can think of very few films where I wouldn't be able to pick at least one example of this.

Overall

A really clever and superbly crafted psychological thriller.

Legend in my own mind
Rambo:Last Blood (2019)

This film was full of cliche, the acting was average, the story familiar, the production was decent, but nothing that we haven't seen before. Yet...I loved this film!!!!

It was pure Rambo. Absolute carnage driven by a pain that the viewer can't fail to buy into,

In brief without spoilers, Rambo finds himself in a kerfuffle with a load of bad men and mayhem ensues.

Whatever you think of Sly, he takes a simple idea, tells an emotive story and presents us with a tortured hero that we can't fail to root for. Here he does it again. It hasn't got the rawness of First Blood part 1 or 2, but it makes up with it with pure emotion and violence.

What did I like?

Pretty much everything. Granted, I am invested in Rambo before the film starts, as I have been a fan since I was a kid, but as this film went on, the more I wanted to audibly cheer him on.
It looks better than previous offerings, with some nice shots and it looks clean and slick. One sequence in particular reminded me of something out of John Wick or The Raid.
I know others don't rate him, but I like Stallone as an actor. He does what he does well, and he does it again in this film. with a character that he is obviously familiar with.
The last 30 minutes is tremendous, it's like 'Home alone' for grown ups.

What could be better?

The answer to this question is: so much, yet not much at all.
To make a film that would be more critically aclaimed, you would be looking at more creativity, a more believable plot, deeper dialogue etc, but then it just wouldn't be Rambo.
The film is exactly as it was intended to be and doesn't try to be anything else than a adrenaline fuelled festival of violence.

Overall

I just loved it!
It is one of those films that does what it means to, and I was thoroughly entertained.
Realistic? No, but I still want to be friends with John Rambo.
It brought back the same feelings when I discovered First Blood 1&2 in my youth.

Legend in my own mind
Bad times at the El Royale (2018)

A group of strangers meet up at a quirky hotel and their intentions and stories soon start to unfold.

I enjoyed it quite a lot, but I do feel that it was a bit like a Tarantino tribute act, that was very similar but just not the real thing.
I know that many think that isn't the case, but from the opening scenes I felt it and it didn't abate.

There is lots to like about the film. All of the things that I like about QT's films are in here and done well, but it didn't grip me fully, and seemed to be lacking something, although I can't really pinpoint what.

I can see why many rate it so highly though.

Legend in my own mind
As good as it gets (1997)

Not sure how this film had bypassed me up until this point.

What a beautiful film. So tender, humourous, romantic and utterly engaging, underpinned by superb acting. Nicholson is tremendous once more as the highly offensive and frustrating, yet endearing Melvin Udall.

Great film

Legend in my own mind
Varsity Blues (1999)

This is one of those films that at least twice now I have convinced myself that I have not seen until it dawns on me half way through that I have,

Yet, I enjoyed it. Full of high school football cliches, yet I seem to enjoy them all.
It was entertaining in a shallow kind of way. There wa sno real depth of character plot or emotion but I enjoyed it on a very low investment level.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
There are TWO things I remember from this movie...

Ali Larter in her whipped cream underwear and Van Der Beek yelling " I DON'T WANT...YOUR LIFE...NO MORE...."

Suspect's Reviews

Legend in my own mind
There are TWO things I remember from this movie...

Ali Larter in her whipped cream underwear and Van Der Beek yelling " I DON'T WANT...YOUR LIFE...NO MORE...."

The young lad stealing the police car and driving around naked with 3 girls reminded me that I had indeed seen the movie previously.

Legend in my own mind
Dragged across concrete (2018)

I had never heard of this film before I saw it appear on Amazon prime, which is surprising given Zahler and the high profile cast that are connected to it.

Overview

The basic premise is that a couple of effective yet not by the book cops get caught up in the criminal underworld as the lines get more and more blurred for them.

What I liked

There is so much that I appreciated about this film. Firstly, I love the pace of the film, there is not much change in pace throughout, which is a risky strategy if you don't get it right, but I think Zahler does in perfectly. The pace is contstant throughout which somehow makes the film feel far more realistic that other films of a similar ilk.
It is shot beautifully too, with some great use of colour, light and shade and some excellent camera work, especially during some seemingly mundane scenes that are heavy with dialogue. There is one scene where Vaughn's character is eating a sandwich, and I found the scene briliant and there was so much feeling coming from the it, which is hard to do, when it is simply a man eating a sandwich.
I was also impressed by the acting, Vaughn and Gibson were excellent, but I was really impressed with Tory Kittles.
The story telling was also high quality, as rather than just focusing on the main players, it gives us a glimpse into the lives of those that are bit part players. It isn't needed, but I think that again it added a sense of realism to the whole experience.

What could be better

For me, there was little that I could fault about this film, but as it is a review I will try and address some points that may be issues for others.
I was worried about the run time, which at 2h 39m is quite long, but for me it wasn't a huge issue for me as I was engaged throughout the film, and barely noticed the time. In fact, I didn't really want it to end.
There aren't many endearing characters in the film, which although I liked, others may have a problem with, There isn't really a clear good people v bad people situation.
There are flashes of violence and gore that you would associate with Zahler, but I didn't find it indulgent or out of place.
As I say, it is dialogue heavy and a one paced film and although I liked it, others that prefer more thrills and shifts in pace may not appreciate it.

Overall

I loved this film and there was little that I could find that I didn't like. I think I liked it all the more as I knew nothing about it and I love it when a film that you don't know about surprises you.
It is one of those films that makes you ask yourself how you feel about each of the stories that are intertwined and about the situations that unfold. There are subtle yet strong emotional drivers throughout the story. Loved it!

Legend in my own mind

Uncut gems (2019)

What was good

I can see the appeal for many with this film. The story was ok and there was a good degree of tension in the film, particularly towards the end.

What I didn't like

The noise! Every scene was people screaming or a shocking sound track blaring out.
I was a bit bored.
I can't get away with Sandler playing a serious role.
The character was annoying
It was all just a bit meh.

Overall

It was ok, but no more than that for me. The last 30 minutes raised a good level of tension even if it was all a bit predicatable. I can see why others rate it, but it didn't do a lot for me.

Legend in my own mind

Aladdin (2018)

Probably my favourite of the Disney live action conversions, but that may be at least partly due to the fact that I wasn't a huge fan of the animated version.

The film looks great and Smith was superb. A lot of fun.

Legend in my own mind

Fishermans friends (2019)

Charming little feel good film based on a true story.

Was nothing new, but it was enchanting and perfect for a lazy afternoon.

Legend in my own mind

True Romance (1993)

Loved this film the first time I watched it 27 (TWENTY SEVEN)!!!! years ago, but can't remember watching it since. I was excited at the prospect of watching it again.

What was good?

What a cast It reads like a hall of fame of tremendous actors, I had no idea that some of these people were in it. Everywhere you look there was quality. Slater and Arquette are the headliners, but a supporting cast including Hopper, Kilmer, Oldman,Pitt, Walken, Jackson, Gandolfini, Rapaport, Rubinek, Sizemore, Penn (Chris), Adonis and plenty more well known faces. Wall to wall acting royalty and it told.

The feeling of the film. One thing Tarantino does so well is weaving emotional hooks for the viewer amongst all of the twists, tension and violence. At the heart of this film is a simple story of love and devotion.

The whole film just oozes quality, from the car, to the characters, to Elvis, comic books and so much more.

What could have been even better?

Not much is the honest answer, but one thing is that there were some characters and indeed actors that were underused in the film. A big part of that is due to the sheer quality fo the writing and actors involved that it would have had at least a 17 hour run time to utilise them all fully.

Overall

Superb. A classic!

Legend in my own mind

American beauty (1999)

I had never previously watched this film, as despite the fuss surrounding it at the time it went in to that very small category of films that I just didn't fancy watching and each time I thought about it, I put it off again. I have done it with a few films and realised that I had missed out by not watching them earlier.
I also knew very little about it. I knew the basic premise of an older man fantasizing about a younger girl but that was it really.
So what did I think...?
I loved the feel of the film and the narration in the opening sequence, it really eased me in to to film and set the tone.
I liked the delving into the psyche of the characters and their interaction with one another as well as the personal turmoil that each was dealing with.
I am finding it difficult to sum up my reaction to this film if I am honest. I was engaged and drawn in and it is lingering in my thoughts afterwards, but I am not sure fully how I feel about it.
I was really engaged due to the fact that the outcome of the story is revealed at the beginning of the film but then there are multiple ways in which that outcome could be reached and it kept an air of mystery.
There is however still part of me left thinking, 'is that it?' I wanted more story,
The bit that I had, I enjoyed, but I wanted more, that maybe is indicative of the quality of the film that it left me wanting more.
I am sorry for the messiness of these thoughts, but I can't articulate how I feel.
I can see however, that it is a quality piece of film making with superb acting and an excellent sound track.

Legend in my own mind

Gandhi (1982)
To my shame I didn't/don't know much about Gandhi. I knew a few bits, enough to answer a couple of exam questions at school but not so much about the history or context of his cause, aside from the fact that he was instrumental in an independent India.

The film started with Gandhi already as an adult, which is unusual for a biopic.
This was preceded in the opening scene with a quote that explained the point that not everything could be included.

The film was beautifully shot and Kingsley was outstanding, but as impressed as I was with the film, I was more so with it's subject. The more I watched the film, the more inspired I was with the man and the more I wanted to learn about him. Alongside side that cam yet another reminder just how oppressive the Birtish Empire was in many cases. Obviously there is always dispute and disagreement on the accuracy of the account, especially as many people in the west only had a cursory knowledge of Gandhi. Also the portrayal of Jinnah has come in for a lot of criticism. With all of this going on, it is easy to see why it took Attenborough 20 years to make it. It is largely agreed though that the significant events are depicted accurately by those that were there.

I was impressed with the film, the story and the man, and am a little bit ashamed at how ignorant I was/am about what was happening in India at the time, and also a to a lesser degree about not previously having seen this film.

A superb film that I found inspiring and compelling in every aspect.

Legend in my own mind

Kings Speech (2010)

I had seen this film before and remembering enjoying it at the time without any particular details sticking in the memory. I remember the King seeking help to overcome a stammering issue.

The film looks outstanding, with some great camera work and a beautiful use of colours that make it aesthetically pleasing. The score also jumped out to me this time. I think that is largely due to the fact that I am more aware of film scores nowadays and that is largely due to this site.

This is a stellar cast. There are so many great actors involved and in such a line up and as well as Firth, Helena Bonham Carter and Geoffrey Rush stand out particularly.

The story is about the relationship rather than the speech issue. The relationship between the two men was as fundemental if not more so than the techniques that Logue introduces.

It is also a story of perseverance that leads the viewer easily into empathy for the Monarch.

On the downside, there is not an awful lot of rise and fall in the pace or content of the film despite the fact that so much is actually happening in the backdrop of the film

Overall it is a simple film that is brought to life by superb cinematography, great acting and wonderful music, that brings in a feel good factor in a period of crisis for the British isles.

I enjoyed it more this time than the first time.

Legend in my own mind

Platoon (1986)

I have watched this recently, but not recently enough to write about my thoughts and feelings without watching it again.

I played the computer game (on the Commodore 64) before I ever watched this film, but I remember when I did watch the film as a teenager that I didn't really enjoy it, as back then I watched films through very different eyes.

This is another film with an All star cast and it was only on a recent viewing that I noticed Johnny Depp. There are so many good acting performances in this film and each one is utterly convincing. Berenger stands out for me as Sgt. Barnes. He produces a full and visceral perfromance.

There are so many strengths to this film and one of the biggest is the emotive nature of it that is a culmination of the acting, directing, score and subject matter.
The real highlight for me is in the raw and brutal insight into war and conflict.
Many similar films seem keen to nudge a viewer towards seeing the 'good guys; and the 'bad guys' but Platoon doesn't do that. It focuses more on the internal war that is raging within each of the American soldiers featured and how that spills out into them as a group. It drves home a little bit of the horror that occurs internally for those that find themselves in such situations and the psychological and moral toll that takes.
The scene in the village is a microcosm of the whole film and a pivitol moment for the characters and the viewer.

Oliver Stone plays a blinder as director and the score is eerily brilliant.

A film that is still as important now as it was when it was made.

Beautiful, Compelling and Brutal.