Blackhat- Micheal Mann

→ in
Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Such a dull affair. Seems like Micheal Mann is going the way of Ridley Scott or Spielberg staying on making crappy movies when they should just bow out gracefully. Seemed more like a poor imitation of a Mann movie from my favourite Director. Seemed full of movie cliches that we've seen a million times before, Hemsworth doesn't exactly impress, supposedly an ace hacker with the body of a Calvin Klein model, don't think so. Story was fairly ridiculous and a bit of a confusing mess with a nonsensical ending. Very disappointed.

Anyone else unfortunate enough to see this?

My life's a disaster zone.
I watched this on a recent holiday, the room I stayed in had a free selection of movies and randomly this was on it. I kinda liked it but I am a massive Michael Mann fan. I agree that the casting of Hemsworth was ridiculous but I loved the cinematography, atmosphere and some great action sequences (the ambush gun fight particularly). The plot is meh but if you like Mann films then I'd imagine you'd like Blackhat.

I watched this on a recent holiday, the room I stayed in had a free selection of movies and randomly this was on it. I kinda liked it but I am a massive Michael Mann fan. I agree that the casting of Hemsworth was ridiculous but I loved the cinematography, atmosphere and some great action sequences (the ambush gun fight particularly). The plot is meh but if you like Mann films then I'd imagine you'd like Blackhat.
Spot on, the acting and story can be a bit meh at times but the cinematography, visual direction, the way certain scenes/sequences were edited is fantastic. Great film direction. I enjoyed it a lot and give it
but there are a few fans on here that would go even higher.

Was it a good story? I can forgive flat acting, and can enjoy slick storytelling, but is the story itself good?

Welcome to the human race...
When I reviewed it last year, I gave it a
, but I also stated that I wouldn't be averse to re-watching it (and even picked up a cheap bargain-bin copy not too long ago). Will have to report back if I find that it's improved.

Was it a good story? I can forgive flat acting, and can enjoy slick storytelling, but is the story itself good?
My memory of the plot isn't the best but from what I can recall its an interesting modern tale of computer-based espionage, with a suspenseful enough on the run around the world storyline. Overall I would say it was a decent story.

Michael Mann & Ridley Scott would have to try very hard for me to not enjoy their films. I even liked Collateral.

Michael Mann & Ridley Scott would have to try very hard for me to not enjoy their films. I even liked Collateral.
What, is Collateral supposed to be bad now? I was under the impression that people generally liked it (plus it's got 86% on RT). If there was any Mann film I'd hold up as out-and-out bad (out of the ones I've seen, anyway), it'd be Public Enemies.

The best description I ever heard of Ridley Scott's filmography is that, whenever he makes a film, the gods flip a coin over whether it'll be good or bad. The man is mad inconsistent.

I know that Mann has directed some pretty mediocre stuff (Public Enemies, Miami Vice) but I love the visual style of the films and there's normally some great little gem scenes that stick out or some standout acting (For me, in Public Enemies it was any scene with Billy Crudup as creepy Hoover, and in Miami Vice it's the 'grenade meeting' with Yero). I find that his films are always pretty re-watchable.

I have been meaning to re-watch Public Enemies, but I do remember the visual style being a major sticking point because he was doing a period drama with this HD photography that ended up looking pretty blurry in execution. As I noted in my Blackhat review, that works for a high-tech cyber-crime movie but not so much a Depression-era gangster flick. We'll see if I can look past that a second time around.

as if collateral is a bad movie, its a great micheal mann film

as if collateral is a bad movie, its a great micheal mann film
Collateral is a great film.

The Last of the Mohicans is also a great Mann film.

Ew! He did Public Enemies?! I didnt know that. Ok that was a stinker, and yeah Im a Miami Vice nut so I liked the movie, but admit it could have been alot better. His mistake was having too many night time scenes...... its Miami. He forgot who the star of the movie was.

I thought it was forgettable. Hemsworth is miscast.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Blackhat is a masterpiece. In terms of mood & atmosphere, few modern films can even come compare. I couldn't care less about narrative and, apparently, neither does Mann. Like other have noted before - Michael Mann is a modern day Melville.

I was looking forward to it because some members on here who I respect immensely taste-wise (I'm looking at you, Lucas!) love it, but unfortunately this is one of those times I disagree with said members. This film was the definition of a cinematic chore - I was unbelievably bored.

That said I guess I'd revisit it, if only because I usually revisit movies I dislike if there's hope I'll discover some new merit to it.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Such a dull affair. Seems like Micheal Mann is going the way of Ridley Scott or Spielberg staying on making crappy movies when they should just bow out gracefully.
Ridley Scott did The Martian recently. The Martian was fantastic.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Such a dull affair. Seems like Micheal Mann is going the way of Ridley Scott or Spielberg staying on making crappy movies when they should just bow out gracefully. Seemed more like a poor imitation of a Mann movie from my favourite Director. Seemed full of movie cliches that we've seen a million times before, Hemsworth doesn't exactly impress, supposedly an ace hacker with the body of a Calvin Klein model, don't think so. Story was fairly ridiculous and a bit of a confusing mess with a nonsensical ending. Very disappointed.

Anyone else unfortunate enough to see this?
MMs recent movies have all been a bit meh

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"