How do you pick your top ten movies of all time?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Terrific list. I think Malcolm X is so underrated and its tonal shifts between young, criminal Malcolm and older, more intelligent Malcolm is so well represented. I thought it was genius actually.

Anyway, in terms of making a list, if I am trying to be as objective as possible, I take in plot, ability to tell the story, direction, cinematography, strength of dialogue and acting, among many other things. Also, as objective as we try to be, cinema is a subjective medium and I take into account how much I connected with the film and the entertainment value it provided me.
Okay thanks. Actually the last three I am still stumped on. The top 7 I am quite certain on, but for the last three, there are still other great movies out there, like Schindler's List, For A Few Dollars More, The Great Silence, City Lights, and Singin' in the Rain.

I am Jack's comforting nostalgia
I focus on the movie as a whole, and how it made/makes me feel. I try to forget about the technical aspects and immerse myself in the fantasy. Essentially, I'm ranking experiences.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Okay thanks. Actually the last three I am still stumped on. The top 7 I am quite certain on, but for the last three, there are still other great movies out there, like Schindler's List, For A Few Dollars More, The Great Silence, City Lights, and Singin' in the Rain.
I think that is the hardest part, trying to narrow our 100s of movie experienced into something as small as a top 10...

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"