Cricket's 60 favorite TV shows

Tools    

#48 Talk Soup

I don't know if this is on anymore, but it's a funny show on the E channel that recaps zany moments from the different talk shows during the week.
I believe it's still on E -- but it's now called The Soup -- and it focuses on reality shows instead of talk shows because that's the thing now.

I don't watch its current interpretation, but I LOVED it when it was Talk Soup in the '90s. Especially when Greg Kinnear was the host.

Really interested in trying I Love Lucy. I've never once heard anyone over here talking about it or seen it on TV.
I saw Destiny mention that she watches it in a thread today.

I Love Lucy is part of Americana, more so than any other classic TV show...and yet I've never seen it myself. One of these days I will watch it

On the other hand I use to watch Welcome Back Kotter every week when it was first run.

I Love Lucy is good clean comedy.. it has gone into history as one of the best loved television shows. I can watch it in rerun at any time..

I Love Lucy is part of Americana, more so than any other classic TV show...and yet I've never seen it myself. One of these days I will watch it

On the other hand I use to watch Welcome Back Kotter every week when it was first run.
Strangely, I never really liked I Love Lucy - maybe it was just a case of overload - it was always on when I was a kid. I also tend to associate it with when I'd stay home from school sick and end up watching Lucy all day.

When I was in college I discovered Make Room for Daddy in re-runs. Don't know why, but I just liked this show and it's humor. It's similarities to Lucy was that Danny was a night club performer (similar to Ricky Ricardo) and the show often featured celebrities of the day. Also of note: a very young Angela Cartwright (who would go on to appear in The Sound of Music and to play Penny in Lost In Space) played Danny's youngest daughter on the show.

Ahh...home from school sick days, those were the days, especially when it was 'mom my stomach is upset can I stay home from school? pleasssse???' But when it worked I was forced to stay on the couch So my TV du jour was game shows.

I never seen Make Room for Daddy either but whoa, his wife's hot! And that's a TV viewing necessity Even Maude had Carol (Adrienne Barbeau)

Ahh...home from school sick days, those were the days, especially when it was 'mom my stomach is upset can I stay home from school? pleasssse???' But when it worked I was forced to stay on the couch So my TV du jour was game shows.

I never seen Make Room for Daddy either but whoa, his wife's hot! And that's a TV viewing necessity Even Maude had Carol (Adrienne Barbeau)
That's Marjorie Lord and she was indeed an extreme looker.

Trivia: she was the 2nd mom on Make Room for Daddy as the first one (Jean Hagen) left the show. To explain the change, the show's writers scripted that the mother had died suddenly - this was a TV first as no regular character on a TV series (no less a sit-com) had died. Marjorie Lord was hired to play "Kathy" a widowed Irish nurse that Danny hires for his children, falls in love with & marries. Make Room for Daddy was also one of TV's first blended families as Linda (Angela Cartwright) was supposed to be Kathy's daughter from a previous marriage whom Danny adopts (strangely, with her dark hair, she looks more like Danny's biological child than the other two).

I wonder how all that went over with the fans? Very interesting, thanks for posting that. There's a lot of 50s TV shows that I would love to watch but never seen. Some of these shows are available legally on download sites as they're in the public domain.

BTW, I seen the name Jean Hagen and knew I had seen her before, so I looked her up. She was in the classic Film Noir, The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

I think the show was more successful after Marjorie Lord came aboard (probably for the looks factor alone) and Angela Cartwright added the cuteness factor (as the older children aged). The early episodes don't seem as well remembered as the rest.

I just learned (from Wiki) that Make Room for Daddy was the originator for The Andy Griffith show from a single episode where Danny is arrested by one Sheriff Andy Taylor while passing through a little town called Mayberry. So the Andy Griffith show was a spin off (I never knew that). Apparently Make Room for Daddy was also know for crossing over with several other series at the time (including the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, The Joey Bishop Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, the Bill Dana Show).

Interesting photo:

And just because Angela Cartwright was so cute as a child:

As Linda Willaims:

With real-life sister Veronica (who was the other female aboard the ship in Alien, btw - she screams "Oh God!" during the chest-buster scene!)

Oh that's right there was a Cartwright on Alien. I never would have thought they did spin offs back in the 50s. The only 50s TV shows I've seen are: Donna Reed, Leave it to Beaver...also some episodes of Jack Paar Tonight Show and The Honeymooners.

Oh that's right there was a Cartwright on Alien. I never would have thought they did spin offs back in the 50s. The only 50s TV shows I've seen are: Donna Reed, Leave it to Beaver...also some episodes of Jack Paar Tonight Show and The Honeymooners.
That's why I was totally surprised to learn about the spin off.

Veronica Cartwright, btw, has had a prolific career - she was a child star throughout the 50's & 60's. She was the little girl in Hitchcock's The Birds. She starred on the Daniel Boone TV series. She appeared on the Twilight Zone. And she's acted steadily right up until today!

During their teen years I often got appearances by Veronica & Angela confused, because they looked very much alike at that time (especially when they were in black & white).

It's too bad Ripley steals the show in Alien, Lambert is a pretty cool chick herself.

I remember watching Fear Factor when it was on, it was okay but never was too interested in it. I preferred Jackass.

I watched some I Love Lucy whenever my mom or sister were watching. I'll admit there were some pretty funny parts on that show.