The MoFo Top 100 of the Sixties

→ in
Tools    

What should i watch first, well after i watch Quills for the HOF. La Dolce Vita, Breatless or L'Avventura?
I've seen all three of them and it really depends what you're after.

La Dolce Vita was (I think) my fourth Federico Fellini film, but I think it might be it's best, a fantastic montage that encompasses all things great about human life, love and imagination, some people criticise it for it's lack of structure, but I think that's what makes it brilliant. is also a masterpiece of the decade.

Breathless was my first Godard film, and I think it's great, although it's pretty divisive around here. Give it a go, and even if you don't like it, please explore more of Godard's filmography from the decade. He's in my opinion one of the greatest, and undoubtedly one of the most important directors from the Sixties.

L'Avventura is the only Antonioni I've seen so far, and I plan on watching more for this list. I think you'll know whether you'll like this film a lot from the description. A lot of focus on imagery and atmosphere rather than a fast-driven plot with lots going on. A truly beautiful film that seems to be highly rated around here by quite a few.

Master of My Domain
Dinner table chant!

*pounds forks and knives*

"Everyone watch L'Avventura!"

I'm with Raul. Really good film.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm probably going to go ahead and send a list in tonight or tomorrow. I know I have a lot of time but I'd have to watch a film multiple times for it to become more of a favorite than the films I already have on my list. It's just a matter of choosing what to cut now.

What should i watch first, well after i watch Quills for the HOF. La Dolce Vita, Breatless or L'Avventura?
Watch them all at the same time. Or watch La dolce vita first, what do I know.

Also, I count five Antonioni films from the sixties that should be watched.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Just going through my top 10 lists for the 60s and damn this was an amazing decade. Some lesser known films that won't make it but are still excellent:

The Cow

The Red Light Bandit

The Party and the Guests

A Fugitive from the Past

Diamonds of the Night

The Unscrupulous Ones

The Naked Island

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I reeeeeeeeaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyy need to catch up on my 60's films.

Suspect's Reviews

Unregistered User
The Good (The Sixties list), The Bad (Having to wait so long until it starts) and the Ugly (Clint's face when it doesn't win).

Really looking forward to this

Allow me to pimp this movie!
Le Samourai is cool, and will hopefully make the list as there are a few Melville fans on here.

One that doesn't seem to get watched as much, but is widely regarded as his masterpiece, is Army of Shadows. It wasn't released in the US until 2006 following negative reaction from Cahiers du Cinema as to what they perceived to be right wing work promoting the then hated Charles De Gaulle. Melville didn't help himself, describing himself as a "right-wing anarchist", but those critics who slated him (after initially loving and being highly influenced by his style, especially Bob Le Flambeur) late reappraised the work, and in 2006, and now with Criterion and Studiocanal Blu-ray releases, there's no excuse not to see it.

The film focusses on a group of people that work as part of the French resistance against Nazi-occupied France. Melville himself entered the resistance, so its a highly personal piece of work, and probably his most human.

It's not easy to watch at times, it's dark and pessimistic, a real gritty examination of human life, of loyalty.

Anyway who's seen Le Samourai or Le Cercle Rouge, which seem to be the most popular around here, will know what to expect in terms of colour cinematography. This film is beautiful shot, just like those two, using blue/green colours to softly illuminate the dark world that the film inhabits.