donniedarko- Top 100 movies 2014.

→ in
Tools    

It's list season for Donnie and movieforums...

I guess I'm joining the new onslaught of Top 50s/100s hitting movieforums lately. My last top 100 was posted a little over two years ago, and is pretty crummy. Mainly due to the lack of explanations all the way through, and just so many new films and some of the top have either fallen off completely, or fallen down far. While some of the lower ranked films went up.

I'll probably be doing two sets of three a day, until the top ten, starting today I guess.

100. The Kid (Chaplin, 1921)

Silent films will be quite under represented on this list, mainly due to the few non comedy ones I've seen, and even less so liked. With my love of slapstick though I found it neccesary to open with either this or Disorder in the Court, obviously I ended up choosing Chaplin over the stooges. The Tramp & The Kid provide plenty of laughs- I adore Chaplin's fighting scenes- but this also has many powerful little scenes as The Tramp cares for and raises The Kid. Well rounded touching and funny film.

99. Downfall (Hirschbiegel, 2004)

One of the most parodied films out there, including weeman's Sexy Hitler parody, Downfall is actually a very well made and spectacularly acted film. The story focuses on our angry Hitler (played by Bruno Ganz) but narrated by his last secretary Traudl Junge. Does a great job of showing the collapse of Hitler and his minions, alongside the falling of the bombarded Nazi Germany.

98. Ratatouille (Bird & Pinkava)

This is my favorite Pixar film, therefore the only one making my list, and one of very few animated films. The film is just all around charming alongside the beautiful animation. I don't have a soft spot for rats, and I would never be happy to have one in my kitchen... except in this film. The love for food also really shows, I really appreciate the scene where Remy is mixing cheeses and strawberries, favorite scene in the film right there.

I need to actually see Downfall. I'm feeling like Jared Leto when he says he hasn't actually watched Dallas Buyers Club yet.

The Kid was the first Chaplin I (mostly) saw. I can't remember my age, I must have been like 12, and I caught most of it on TV and really enjoyed it. Ratatouille is one of my favorite Pixars, great flick. Haven't seen Downfall, although I did see the scene where Sexy Hitler gets pissed about Asian movies.

I haven't seen any of those 3. I'll definitely be watching The Kid and Downfall, but probably won't see the other. Idk, maybe. Looking forward to the rest

I like The Kid, even though I think there are better Chaplin movies and I like Ratatouille, even though I think there are better Pixar movies.

Have seen many bits of Der Untergang, but never truly watched it as a whole, so I won't comment on it.

Solid start!

I think most people know how I feel about Chaplin. But even I liked The Kid once. I tried to watch it again, but had to switch it off because of the usual slapstick nonsense. Maybe I was having an overly sentimental day when i like The Kid? Maybe I somehow blocked out all the slapstick. But, whatever it was I really did enjoy it that one time and, if they edited The Kid down to about 10 minutes of the scenes with Chaplin and Coogan, it'd be a masterpiece. A bit like the beginning of Up! before that stupid film shows up and bores us... Well, me.

Downfall is brilliant. It's on my 100 and was also on my Millennium list. Great film which I'd recommend to anyone. Even nazis, though the ending is probably a lot sadder for them.

I think I made about 15-20 minutes of Ratatouille before I decided I'd been right all along and turned it off. I think I could make it, though. There aren't any songs in it, are there?

the beginning of Up! before that stupid film shows up and bores us... Well, me.
Yes, you. Not us.

I think I made about 15-20 minutes of Ratatouille before I decided I'd been right all along and turned it off.
You were wrong.

There aren't any songs in it, are there?
No.

Saw this, MV and thought you might get a kick out of it. Or hate it with a passion. Either way.

It's still boring. However, it still holds like Up that the best bit is from the beginning, though, in this case, it's the end.

97. Being John Malkovich (Jonze, 1999)

The 90s play a huge role on this list, and Being John Malkovich is the first entry from the awesome decade. The film is hilarious, mind bending, and extremely memorable. Beginning with the opening dirty puppet scene the film is funny through out. Great creative cinematography, and a superb directorial job by Jonze.

96. Young Frankenstein (Brooks, 1974)

Another weird comedy, from the genius Mel Brooks, Young Frankenstein. The best scenes are the ones with Igor (Marty Feldman), the physical comedy from the hunchback is top of the notch, and of course Gene Wilder also rules with physical humor. Also I love Abby Normal's character

95. Argo (Affleck, 2012)

Watching this in the same theater with an actual hostage in the Carter "Iran Hostage Crisis", was my best cinema experience to date. The deserving Best Picture winner Argo is, smart, crisply shot, informative, and always entertaining. Affleck, Cranston, Arkin, and John Goodman share the screen so perfectly. As the film plays vintage news tapes during the rescue it takes you back to Carter's presidency, and pushes the frustration the nation felt on the audience. It's also a needed watch for those who don't understand the source behind the tension between US and Iran. This is no PBS documentary, but with it's sharp humor and entertaining story telling you're bound to pick up some history from it. A truly wonderful star studded thriller.