Quentin Tarantino and his Films

Tools    

Once Upon a Time in America and Pulp Fiction are two totally opposite crime films, like Cobpyth says 'crime' is the only link between them. Both are masterpieces in their own rights. And comparing Leone and Tarantino I think is unfair too, totally different directors who made/make totally different films.

Just watched Jackie Brown last night. Now I have seen Django, Bastards, Pulp and the Kill Bills (although admittedly need to watch those again, saw them when I was young)...Jackie Brown didn't completely feel like a Tarantino film. There were of course the long crazy good dialogue that reminded me it was a Tarantino flick, but it was a lot more subdued then his other ones I've seen. Still pretty good flick though.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Tarantino is clearly a passionate and talented film-maker, regardless of how anyone may feel about his tendency of stylistic excess and perhaps juvenile sensationalism. There's a view of him held by some as a self-indulgent underachiever, being his own worst enemy and "victim of success".

To an extent I think his "obsession" with homage, playing with genres, revitalizing old tropes, and preference to hang his films on strength of concept does feel overplayed at times... but all that being said, I haven't seen a film of his yet that honestly bored me.

I suspect Tarantino is only going to get better with age, and as fun as his films have been, I believe he's got some very deep and personal work waiting to come forth when the time is right. That film or films will surprise everyone, fanboys and naysayers alike, and will only help us to look back even more appreciatively on the films that have fostered his growth as an artist.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Leone for me is clearly a greater director than Tarantino.
Though I think I should add that Tarantino is also a great director (though he may be slightly overpraised). Leone, however, is among the greatest of all directors.

In terms of Westerns yes, Leone made a career out of it, Tarantino has only made one movie in the genre. If you look at Leone's other work, I think Tarantino is superior, both had a crime masterpiece, Tarantino has the superior Pulp Fiction whereas Leone had the inferior Once Upon A Time In America. That's how I see it anyway.
Well, my own personal rankings of the top movies of both directors:

1 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
2 - Once Upon a Time in America
3 - For a Few Dollars More
4 - Pulp Fiction
5 - Once Upon a Time in America
6 - Kill Bill
7 - Inglorious Basterds

Once Upon a Time in America and Pulp Fiction are two totally opposite crime films, like Cobpyth says 'crime' is the only link between them. Both are masterpieces in their own rights. And comparing Leone and Tarantino I think is unfair too, totally different directors who made/make totally different films.
Well, Leone and Tarantino were both makers of cool movies. Indeed, Tarantino was hugely influenced by Leone, I think that Tarantino considers The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, as the best movie ever made. It is indeed my favorite movie of the "movie cool" type, invented by Kurosawa with Yojimbo.

Well, my own personal rankings of the top movies of both directors:

1 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
2 - Once Upon a Time in America
3 - For a Few Dollars More
4 - Pulp Fiction
5 - Once Upon a Time in America
6 - Kill Bill
7 - Inglorious Basterds
You probably mean: 5 - Once Upon a Time in the West?

My top 7 from both directors:

1. Once Upon a Time in America
2. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Django Unchained
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Once Upon a Time in the West
7. Inglourious Basterds

2 and 3 are very close and 4, 5 and 6 are also EXTREMELY close.

Their films are brilliant in a very different way, in my opinion. It's hard to compare them. I think Leone is a much more emotional director than Tarantino, for example.
They both have some similar stylistic aspects, but in essence they are very different.

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
From Dusk Till Dawn
Kill Bill

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Jackie Brown
3. Inglorious Bastards
4. Django Unchained
5. Deathproof
6. Kill bill Volume 1
7. Kill Bill Volume 2
8. Resevoir Dogs

As a lot have already said, great post. I think Tarantino resonates for a lot of people because his is a film fan himself. He pays homage to his favourite films, plays with film conventions all the while remaining fresh and entertaining.
I love his movies, and it's difficult to name a favourite.

Django - great movie!

Daniel, I remember you linked to this thread back when Cobpyth was making the director fan clubs, but I figured I needed to take a week off from work and put aside all other engagements for the amount of time it would take me to read the damn thing. Then I forgot all about it until you just linked to it again in your favorite movies thread. After spending the last eighteen and a half hours reading your love letter to the films of Tarantino, I must say that it's the best post I've read since joining this forum. If that didn't win the MoFie award for best post last year, then an injustice was served. Phenomenal, phenomenal, phenomenal stuff.

Tarantino shares a similar role in my own development as a cinephile, which I wrote about a few months ago in Tongo's thread. (Read it here.) My post is only about Pulp Fiction, though, which is the film that opened my eyes to the wider world of cinema. I have a feeling that Tarantino is the common denominator for a lot of us in that regard.

Anyways, instead of just +repping, I figured I'd resurrect this thread so others who haven't seen it can bask in your awesomeness.

There is far too much of Quentin Tarantino in "True Romance" for me to take seriously any "Tarantino" discussion without the inclusion of this movie. I was a hard core movie goer before "Tarantino" movies were even a "thing," and was among the few who saw Pulp Fiction and felt it wasn't new and revelatory. After seeing True Romance and Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction wasn't groundbreaking, it was just the next logical step. I'm not trying to take anything away from Pulp Fiction, I just want to put things in perspective. How much of Tarantino's brilliance as a director is due to the fact that he's directing his own scripts? I'm of the belief that he's at least as good a writer as he is a director and if that's the case, then True Romance is his bastard child.

Daniel, I remember you linked to this thread back when Cobpyth was making the director fan clubs, but I figured I needed to take a week off from work and put aside all other engagements for the amount of time it would take me to read the damn thing. Then I forgot all about it until you just linked to it again in your favorite movies thread. After spending the last eighteen and a half hours reading your love letter to the films of Tarantino, I must say that it's the best post I've read since joining this forum. If that didn't win the MoFie award for best post last year, then an injustice was served. Phenomenal, phenomenal, phenomenal stuff.

Tarantino shares a similar role in my own development as a cinephile, which I wrote about a few months ago in Tongo's thread. (Read it here.) My post is only about Pulp Fiction, though, which is the film that opened my eyes to the wider world of cinema. I have a feeling that Tarantino is the common denominator for a lot of us in that regard.

Anyways, instead of just +repping, I figured I'd resurrect this thread so others who haven't seen it can bask in your awesomeness.
Sorry Captain, I've only just seen this post, but many thanks for your kind words. I don't think I even remember this post being nominated for best post, a disgrace I tell you! A great post by yourself too, which I hadn't seen until now, I don't have much to say to it other than I can obviously understand exactly what the film did to you and so many others, you've nailed it when you talk about how it works within the boundaries of the film, every bit of Quentin's love for cinema is put into every frame.

I posted this a few weeks ago in the rate the last movie you saw thread, but this year I got to see Pulp Fiction on the big screen, I went with my brother and a couple of friends who hadn't seen it before. It was accompanied by interviews with those involved talking about the impact of the movie at the time, before the film started, and even though you can probably find them on YouTube somewhere, it was great fun and added to the whole experience.

After the opening breakfast scene, where the music hits and the opening credits began, I had goosebumps, such a great, electrifying moment that must have been so great to experience back in 1994.

What amazed me was just how fresh the film felt still, even though I have probably seen the film over twenty times now, I could swear there were little bits in the film, even if it was a few seconds here or there, that I hadn't seen before. Without a doubt my best cinematic experience so far.

On November 29th I might get to see Reservoir Dogs in the same cinema, that all depends on University work and money, as the cinema is back home. It would be cool if I could, they're doing an open bar before/after with a cover band playing music from the film too. I know my brother back home will definitely go, so I hope I can too.

Quentin with Robert in the Director's Chair was freaking great to watch. All was awesome, but I was in particular very fond of the segment with Quentin reading his script for 'Kill Bill' to Robert out loud. It was just so great to experience QT so passioned about his work and deliver his ideas out loud with so much joy...

Makes me even more sad I didn't get to experience QT and the H8ful Eight crew doing the live read. Just watching Quentin walk around changing things here and there, directing his actors etc. would have been a lifetime experience!

Also Quentin stating Kill Bill is probably his most personal films makes even more sense to me now why I love it so much. Especially Vol. 2. I probably can't grasp everything he went for but still I feel a bit more Tarantino in those movies.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I found this to be a good read...
http://bust.com/movies/15393-why-que...-our-time.html

1. Resevoir Dogs
2. Deathproof
3. Jackie Brown
4. Kill Bill Volume 1
5. Kill Bill Volume 2
6. Pulp Fiction
7. Django Unchained
8. Inglorious Bastards

I think I just prefer it when his movies are not saturated with A-List actors.

This might just do nobody any good.
Holy s**t:

Tarantino Prepping Manson Murders Centered Film

Script details are fuzzy but one of the stories centers is on Sharon Tate, the actress and wife of director Roman Polanski who was murdered by Manson and his followers in 1969.
QT has reportedly met with A-list actors including Jennifer Lawrence and Brad Pitt.

Note: Lawrence is not being sought out to play Sharon Tate.

What does it say that Tarantino's seeming first foray into horror is also his first film based on real life?