Least favorite movie of favorite director

Tools    

I don't even think it's technically impressive. There is nothing original or exciting about Aronofsky's editing and framing. You can 20 other drug related films and find either the exact same MTV ****, or something that actually has some, ahem, substance. Trainspotting is very visual oriented when it came to depicting drugs, too, but at least the techniques used were original and actually genuinely disturbing rather than annoying. And it wasn't preachy either. Plus this film has one of the most overused scores ever. Boo Aronofsky
I'm not an Aronofsky hater. Requiem for a dream was an exception in his brilliant career. Otherwise, I thought he had interesting ideas behind Pi, The Fountain (possibly my favourite of his films alongside Pi) and Black Swan - films that were less excessive and exaggerated than Requiem. Still he's one of my favourite filmmakers who dare to make introspective movies.

I don't hate him either. In fact, I think his career has gone from strength to strength. I don't need to know that he is there all the time, when it takes a deep breath and just tells the story like he does with The Wrestler and Black Swan, he is great and his rep seems warranted, but when I think of shite like Requiem For A Dream and The Fountain, I can't stand him.

I agree that Requiem For A Dream is quite overrated although I'm not even a fan of Aronofsky(The Wrestler is a big exception) but I love the way it is filmed.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The editing the Requiem was inspired by All The Jazz.

Suspect's Reviews

Quentin Tarantino -- Jackie Brown
Kevin Smith -- Cop Out
Christopher Nolan -- (tie) Batman Begins & Dark Knight
John Carpenter -- Village of the Damned
David Cronenberg -- Dead Ringers
Guillermo del Toro -- Mimic
Wes Craven -- Vampire in Brooklyn
George Romero -- Diary of the Dead

Of the dozen or so that I've seen, there is no Hitchcock film I dislike (wow I must sound like a fanboy). Same for Scorsese, though I think I've only seen 7 of them.

Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, which I watched just recently, was a bit of a disappointment. Dr. Strangelove, which I watched quite a while ago, is another film which I don't think is the masterpiece everyone claims it to be, but I should be re-watching it soon.

And I didn't care for Lynch's Lost Highway.

Kubrick - Spartacus (1960). Controversial choice, perhaps. But it's just a film that's never *clicked* for me.
Tarkovsky - Solaris (1972). Personally, I love all of his films. But Solaris, although it is his most well known and probably his most celebrated film is in my opinion his weakest. Still a masterpiece. Just not my favoured masterpiece of all of his masterpieces.
Hitchcock - Topaz (1969), just very lacklustre. I'm sure there are worse films in this filmography but they aren't here because I haven't seen them yet.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.

And I didn't care for Lynch's Lost Highway.
I absolutely love this movie.

I absolutely love this movie.
The funny thing is, I love Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, the other two pieces of Lynch's "dream logic" trilogy. I honestly can't put up a good argument as to why I think the later two films are masterpieces and Lost Highway is a fascinating misfire, but I think there's just something about the feel and tone of that movie that I don't care for. It all just seems quite grim, sleazy, and mean-spirited- a weak criticism when talking about Lynch (particularly a Lynch film seen through the eyes of a killer), but something about that film rubbed me the wrong way.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
It's pretty much a love it or hate it film; much like the rest of Lynch's surreal work. I'd rank Lost Highway as my favourite of his cinematic work, at least in a tie with Blue Velvet. Personally, I think it's a mess, and I couldn't really care less about how it all fits together. But it's a brilliant mess, with some aboslutely brilliant individual scenes and the different storylines are equally engaging and well acted (particularly by Robert Loggia, who is a lot of fun as Dick Laurent).

Plus, like a lot of Lynch's films, it's pitch black comedy. I find a lot of it funny, and even if it isn't, it feels intentional. I loved the scene where Loggia attacks that motorist on the country road. I couldn't stop laughing. But then again, I have a weird sense of humor.

Still, if this is your least favourite of Lynch's, I can't argue it, because it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I do suggest you check out Wild At Heart and see if your choice of Lynch's weakest remains the same.

Christopher Nolan is tied with Tim Burton for my all time favorite director. But I have to say, I did not think that "Batman Begins" was all that great of a film. Not bad, but when compared to the rest of Nolan's work, it seems rather ordinary. (Although I love Michael Cane and Cillian Murphy...)

Movie Forums Extra
i have always found kevin smith to be incredibly overrated. sorry, jersey geeks but it's true.