How often do you give 5 star ratings?

→ in
Tools    

I had about 60-70 movies around 5/5 now, maybe more. (including 8 Miazaki, like 5-6 Kurosawa, 5 Kubrick and 4 Tarkovsky).

Thing is that now I think its nonsensical to rate movies with a number slapped on it, if you want a thumbs up or down might be a better way of saying whether you liked it or not. Art is not something you can just slap a number into specially something as complex and multidimensional like a movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Well, I've got about 140 reviews on this site, and only seven of them have perfect ratings. And I'd take a few of those back now.

What movies did you give perfect ratings to then, that you'd like to change now? And why?

We just had a similar thread, but to this question I would say not that often. But looking at it maybe more frequent than I think.

My last 4 five stars was giving in the time frame between now, December 30th and back to 20th October. But I don't think there really is a pattern to it. Maybe if I looked further back, it would be fewer; or more.

But as I've said earlier, I don't consider a 5/5 to be the holy grail. I do give them out when I feel like it fits; whether being a masterpiece or a favorite...

only about 9-10 films I give a 5 star rating to and they are all in my top 10. All film is subjective though so obviously everybody will give high and possibly even perfect ratings to films they love. The Godfather is considered the greatest film ever.....but It isn't a 5 star film to me. I certainly like the film but since film is subjective and it isn't a favorite of mine I'm not gonna just follow everybody else and be like "Considered greatest film ever, If I don't give it a 5 star rating nobody will take me seriously". I gave it a 4/5 which still means I liked the movie and I thought it was great, but I'm not jumping up and down to watch it again and it didn't really do as much for me as it did for other film junkies who considered it the next messiah.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Actually, last night I saw the movie "Cathy Come Home" and I was thinking about giving it a 9/10, but then I thought "What was wrong with it" and thought about it, and gave it a 10/10.. One day I'm going to check out everything I rated, and document it.

A few times a year. Every single movie is flawed in some way, so I don't see the point in holding onto a 5 as some kind of sacred score, only for perfection. If there's no part of the film that I disliked for whatever reason, even if it has obvious problems, I don't see why I shouldn't give it a top score.

What movies did you give perfect ratings to then, that you'd like to change now? And why?
Juno's the only one I'm positive I'd bump down. Probably Slumdog Millionaire, too. Weirdly, I gave Cloverfield
, but simply because I thought it was the best possible version of itself, so I'm not sure if I'd change it or not.

Maybe Toy Story 3, too, for being a little more repetitious than I first realized. But in each case we're likely only talking about a move down to
, anyway.

Can we treat this like a question to everyone?
Okay then I'm going to.

I have 92 films rated 5 star on Letterboxd with probably 80 of those being movies I already had seen multiple times before I started rating things as I watched. I don't see any of those I would take back.

Of the rest I think the only one I would take back is Paris, Texas. I was absolutely in love with the last third of that film. I would need to watch it again but it feels like a 4 star movie in my mind now.

Ratings I would change now (looking at reviews I've done).....

Dumb and Dumber To might get a higher rating.

Lords of Salem might go lower.

Blades of Glory might go higher.

Observe and Report would probably go from 4 to 5.

Chapter 27 would go higher.

Synecdoche, New York might go higher.

Step Brothers might go higher.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome would go much higher.

Hey, Yoda, I did not watch Rambo: First Blood Part III.

I miss writing reviews.

Notorious Bettie Page would not be a 5 anymore. Much lower.

My God, I reviewed a lot of stuff.

Why did I review DMT: The Spirit Molecule? Hey, maybe I could add that to the documentaries thing.

only about 9-10 films I give a 5 star rating to and they are all in my top 10. All film is subjective though so obviously everybody will give high and possibly even perfect ratings to films they love. The Godfather is considered the greatest film ever.....but It isn't a 5 star film to me. I certainly like the film but since film is subjective and it isn't a favorite of mine I'm not gonna just follow everybody else and be like "Considered greatest film ever, If I don't give it a 5 star rating nobody will take me seriously". I gave it a 4/5 which still means I liked the movie and I thought it was great, but I'm not jumping up and down to watch it again and it didn't really do as much for me as it did for other film junkies who considered it the next messiah.
I like all movies in your top 10. I'd like to see your top 100.

By the way, if anyone else wants to see their reviews (the tagged ones, anyway) by rating, just go to the Reviews page and scroll to the bottom left, where you'll see a simple form for filtering based on user, rating, or title. Or just go right to the View All Reviews page and use the filter there. Real easy.

Think your top ten in your profile is backwards then Gideon
The top ten in my profile was not done in any particular order....boy, you just stay on my ass, don't you?

I seen Juno only once before I came to Mofo. I felt at the time it was fresh, different and a 5/5. But I'd have to watch it again to see if I still feel that way. Usually my ratings would go down with a second viewing, unless the film is really tight.

I really like Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome. I seen a couple of weeks ago and I still loved the first part but the third act was weaker for me. Not sure what I would score it.

Master of My Domain
Like many other MoFos, I do not give out 5 star ratings often, because it indicates perfection and absolute cinematic glory. A 5 star movie would be one that makes me walk around my room trying to contain the brilliancy inside my head after finishing watching, and it rarely happens. Instead I tend to give out a lot of
+ to films I'd recommend to anyone and personally loved on the very first reviewing. The most recent
+ from me is Inside Out and y'all should watch it.