What Will The 2010s Be Remembered For?

Tools    

Ok so I was thinking about this the other day... I was watching How To Train Your Dragon.

Looking back at the 60s/70s/80s... there's a massive amount of movies considered masterpieces.
Even at the time, they were considered among the greatest movies ever made.
To me, the 70s is the disaster/apocalypse era. Even Airplane got in on the act at the time and spoofed the influx of disaster movies.

Those decades even spawned some of the most beloved movies of all time, even if said movies weren't masterpieces like The Goonies, or Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

We had Spielberg, Donner, Zemeckis, Cameron, Lynch, Gilliam, Lucas, Scorsese, Kubrick, Friedkin, Coppola, Lumet, Altman... all working at their absolute best.

The 80s had brilliant sci-fi movies, many at the time were overlooked, but have since become lauded as the best movies of that decade.

The early 1990s was solid too. Jurassic Park and T2 and the breakthroughs made with CGI... Toy Story being the seminal animation of the 1990s.

Then, the mid 1990s to the late 2000s happened.
Sure there was a couple solid movies during that time... LOTR, Dark Knight Trilogy, Moon, the birth of the MCU in 2008... maybe a couple others between 1995-2010... but most of it was forgettable.
I'm actually struggling to think of anything from 95-2010 that actually made any kind of major impact apart from Titanic and Saving Private Ryan.
Boring, lackluster 10-15 years.

Which puts a downer on the 2010s is 15 years of getting used to such abysmal and boring filmmaking... you become used to it and start thinking anything that's coming out soon is probably going to be just as bad as everything else that's been released recently.
Then, you focus on the negatives... forgetting that in amongst the garbage, there is still some gold.

The 2010s... what will it actually be remembered for?

All the remakes that failed to live up to the originals?
Cartoons being turned to "live action" so Disney can avoid royalty payments?
Will it be remembered for the rebirth of the superhero genre?
Bringing Star Wars back and then dividing the audience?
Sequels to classic 70s and 80s movies, to cash in on them rather than write new stuff?

Sure there has been some gold amongst the garbage:
Ex_Machina, Dredd, the MCU being a major player in the decade, Interstellar...

Will we look back at the 2010s and think of the bad things... kinda like I look back at 95-2010?
Or will it be something else.
Like with a lot of movies of the past, sometimes it takes a few years before people realise what happened.

I reckon in 5-10 years, people will look back at the animated features of around 2008-2019.

The 2010s have some brilliant CGI movies, that made an impact on the business, then kinda died off and never got spoken about again. Rather like the sci-fi movies of the 80s. People remembered them later on on life.

Watching How To Train Your Dragon the other day got me thinking of this.
This is where I think people will go in a few years, when remembering the 2010s.
Inside Out, Frozen, The Lego Movie/s/s/s, How To Train Your Dragon, Wreck It Ralph, Frankenweenie, Moana, Despicable Me, WALL-E, Up... and so on.

Sure, the superhero thing will be remembered, rather like the 80s is remembered for BTTF... but, even now I think people are tiring of the superhero thing.
Hell, a lot of people have been tired of them since 2010

2010s: Remembered as the decade of animation in about 10 years from now?
Or generically, as the decade of the superhero.

What do you think?

CGI?

Well yes, you call this 10 years of great CGI work not much else. As far as animation goes, yes there have been a lot of ground breaking work done. Not in terms of the animation, but in the stories they tell. Inside Out being a glowing example. That bonkers creative premise was a treat to watch. Not to mention a lot of European animated stuff. Which I think is relatively new, didn't see too much from them in the last decade, or at least I didn't know much about it. Since they are better movie makers overall, if they get in, Hollywood would have a hard time keeping up!

Loving Vincent, Ernest est Celestine, I Lost my Body, Klaus, My Life as a Zucchini just to name a few, and two of them I saw last night!

Hopefully it'll be known as that **** decade. Rather than that decade we thought was ****, but on reflection, wasn't that bad compared to what followed.

I don’t know. There have been plenty of masterpieces released this decade. The Tree of Life, Whiplash, La La Land, Parasite, all sure to be future classics. Plus many many others as well.

I would say 2000s is a shining decade for animation. We get three Miyazaki masterpieces, Pixar just churning out good films. Disney was in a slump but I’m not a huge fan of them anyways. Their stuff in the 40s was good but other than that meh.