Seymour Hoffman appreciation thread

Tools    

45 year old Philip Seymour Hoffman put his name on the map when he was alongside the all star cast of Boogie Nights in 1997, the following year he had roles in The Big Lebowski & Happiness. He really shined in 1999 though where he had highly regarded performances in Flawless,Magnolia, and The Talented Mr.Ripley

In 2000 he had a supporting role in Almost Famous and in 2002 he has four films including Red Dragon and Punch-Drunk Love. In 2005 he had his most acclaimed performance in Capote which is said to be the best performance in a biopic. He won an Academy Award for best actor.

In 2006 he played a role in Mission Impossible III. He then had a great 2007 starring in Before The Devil Know You're Dead, The Savages, and Charlie Wilsons War. In 2008 he got an Academy nomination in a supporting role for Doubt. In 2010 he directed and acted in the comedy Jack Goes Boating.

In 2011 he had two stunning supporting roles in Ides of March and Moneyball. Thus far he has won one academy award and has been nominated for two.

He has two big upcoming projects. Later this year he's starring in the sure to be masterpiece The Master, where he'll have a main role and will be supported by Amy Adams and Pheonix. Then in 2013 he'll have a role in Hunger Games Catching Fire, the sequel to The Hunger Games.

my fav performance of his is in Along came polly! RAINDROPS!

The man is a powerhouse. Best actor of the millenium so far. Capable of playing any role and make it look incredibly natural while showcasing a wide range of emotions and tones. I've yet to see him act poorly or take a movie that makes me think 'well, he's just in that for the money'. Rarely is he in a bad film and I don't think he's been in a stinker yet.

Brodinski summed it up perfectly. Extraordinarily talented actor, and one of my favorites.

Some of my favorites of his roles:

Scotty J in Boogie Nights

Dean Trumbell in Punch-Drunk Love

Phil Parma in Magnolia

Lester Bangs in Almost Famous

Brandt in The Big Lebowski

Caden Cotard in Synecdoche, New York

Gust Avrakotos in Charlie Wilson's War

Paul Zara in The Ides of March

(Here he is acting opposite a mannequin of George Clooney)

Art Howe in Moneyball

Still have Doubt, Jack Goes Boating, The Savages, Capote and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead on my watchlist, and I'm positively squirming to see The Master.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
He was superb in Magnolia, Boogie Nights & The Big Lebowski, and he, along with Ryan Gosling, was the best thing about dud The Ides Of March.

So many films he has done and he was great in every single one of them. One of the best character actors out there.

Boogie Nights:****
The Big Lewbowski:****
Magnolia:****
Along came Polly:**
Capote:****
Moneyball****
The Ides of March:***
Punch Drunk Love:*** and a half
Almost Famous:****

Probably leaving out a few films that I have seen him in.

You know an actor shows off true versatility and incredible consistency when people start mentioning all kinds of different roles of his as their favourite.

When I think about PSH, I think about the guy who broke down in tears in Magnolia. It was the first time I saw him and recognized that he was - in fact - top drawer material. Then I dug up some other films he starred in, such as Happiness, Boogie Nights, Flawless, and Scent of a Woman.

Since then, he has only increased in my estimation. And even though I am a massive, massive fan, I can't name my favourite performance. Some days, I'll think it's Phil in Magnolia, father Brendan in Doubt, Gust in Charlie Wilson's War, the Count in The Boat That Rocked; other days I'll say it's Jon in The Savages, Jacob in 25th Hour, Dean in Punch-Drunk Love, Andy in Before The Devil Knows You're Dead. Or is it Capote, Art in Moneyball or Paul in The Ides of March?

Daniel-day Lewis showcases the same incredible talent and skill as well as consistency in performance, but he acts once every 3 years on average...

You can't win an argument just by being right!
my fav performance of his is in Along came polly! RAINDROPS!

This just came up on FB so I did a search on Mofo.

RiP my darling. Still miss you

https://www.facebook.com/SLAMMagazin...5182310181385/

Bloody brilliant actor, and such range. Watched him again recently in Charlie Wilson's War. Man this guy was a powerhouse. So sad.