Couple questions about your DVD collection

Tools    

Since this is the thread with dvd questions in I hope I am ok posting this question here.

The first DVD I ever owned was Three Kings starring George Clooney and Ice Cube. I got this when DVDs were brand new and the ps2 first came out. It's in of those old cases you know the cardboard ones with the black clasp. I can't find it anywhere online and was just wondering if anyone knew or could venture a guess if it is worth any decent money now or not?

I will post a photo of it when I get on the laptop because I'm on my phone atm.

Cheers guys

I think I know the type of box you're on about... it has like a plastic clip along the open edge.

TBH, I wouldn't say it was worth much bud. I got Ace Ventura, Demolition Man and Batman (1989) with the same boxes and they're worth the secondhand price. Maybe £3 or £5, tops.

You can buy that edition of Three Kings with plastic clasp on Amazon for about $5 at the moment. So I can't see the UK edition being worth anything either. Is it region 1 or region 2 you have?

I've got a lenticular/3D edition special cover of the Ghost Ship remake with the same cardboard packaging and a black clasp and that's not worth much.

Just out of curiosity I want to know the type of variety of DVD collection people have
Oldest movie?
Metropolis (1927)

Most recent movie?
the Conjuring (2013). haven't watched it yet tho

Director with most movies?
Steven Spielberg (6), really should be more than that, as i don't own E.T. or Jaws

Do you buy movies you haven't seen?
yes. if i don't like them that much i trade 'em in to a local DVD store for something else i haven't seen, repeat cycle

You can buy that edition of Three Kings with plastic clasp on Amazon for about $5 at the moment. So I can't see the UK edition being worth anything either. Is it region 1 or region 2 you have?

I've got a lenticular/3D edition special cover of the Ghost Ship remake with the same cardboard packaging and a black clasp and that's not worth much.
Its a region 2 but you probably right i recently found it after all these years and thought their may be a chance of it being rare but ahh well at least i tried.

Thanks guys

Just got some rep for this old post from April 2012 and thought I'd see how accurate it still is:

Least favorite movie in your collection and your rating?

That's a tough one. Perhaps Artificial Intelligence or Little Miss Sunshine. Both got 1 star out of 5 because I couldn't bring myself to care one iota about the fate of any of the characters and found myself quite bored by them both. There are several movies in my collection that are perhaps "worse," but I didn't have high expectations and therefore was not disappointed with them.
Still true, but I'd add The Man With the Iron Fists.

Oldest movie?

By this, I assume you mean oldest as in terms of date of release rather than date of purchase, but I'll answer both. Date of Release: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Date of Purchase: Gladiator
Still true.

Most recent movie?

Puss in Boots
Obviously not true anymore. Most recent release in my collection is Dallas Buyers Club. Most recent purchases are Man Bites Dog and The Three Colors Trilogy.

I've never sat and counted, but I'd assume the answer is either Tim Burton or Steven Spielberg.
I have actually counted since then and I was kind of right. It isn't either Tim Burton or Steven Spielberg. It's both. They're tied at 11 movies each.

Yes, which is how I ended up with so many 1 star movies. There are some movies in my collection that I still haven't seen.
Still true, but now that I've access to Netflix, Amazon streaming and online streaming I do it much less frequently.

If you have 20 movies how many are foreign?

Of all the movies in my collection, only 6 are non-English language.
There are now 11 non-English language movies in my collection. 9 of those are in French.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2. -1/5
Oldest movie?
Dracula (1931)
Most recent movie?
The World's End
Kurosawa
Sometimes. I usually rent off of Netflix but if they don't have the movie or I keep getting jacked up copies, I buy it.
Donnie, I don't really understand the question. I'll count my first 20 movies and see how many are foreign. 9
How many Criterions do you own?
I think 15
How many silent films do you own?
Off the top of my head, I'd have to say 0. I enjoy many silent films but don't think I've bought any yet.
Biggest box set (in terms of amount of discs)?
Abbott and Costello Collection
Favorite DVD (not movie, but the DVD itself)?
Oldboy. It's in this tin box and comes with three DVDs (one of which is a 3 hour long making of) and the manga.

New questions

How many criterions do you own?

Three. Or maybe five depending on how you're counting. Man Bites Dog, The Three Colors Trilogy and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (which I blind bought on Amazon not even knowing it was Criterion). I'm not Criterion crazy like some people. I did very nearly buy Being John Malkovich on Criterion, but forced myself to delete it from my cart, since I already have it on standard DVD and don't need more duplicate titles.

One. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. It's the only silent I fell in love with. I might add The Kid and The General at some point, though.

No idea. Probably a TV thing though. Blackadder: Remastered maybe? That has six discs.

I tend to avoid movie boxed sets unless it's a film series, otherwise it screws up my alphabetized organizational system.

I don't know. I usually buy DVDs for the movie. Maybe the 10th Anniversary Limited Edition Big Lebowski. I like the bowling ball case. I never opened it, though. It was a stupid impulse buy. I already had the standard DVD.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Dahmer vs. Gacy - I bought it for some reason, not really knowing what to expect. I bought it like five years ago, and I suppose that I thought it would be a lot more put-together, even then, I was offended, and over the years as I've matured, I have only begun hating the movie more and more. A poorly done comedy about two actual serial-killers, romanticizing and glamorizing them, it's ****ing trash.

Oldest movie?
Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Most recent movie?
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Often. When a movie is two-dollars to purchase and one-dollar to rent, that's usually when I take a leap of faith and buy it. I find movies for cheap a lot of the time, so it's not to big of a bite out of my wallet.

I usually don't buy movies I don't like, but for a reason I ignore I have Harold and Kumar escape from Guantanamo on blu ray I'd rate it 5/10
Oldest movie?
I think The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Most recent movie?
Django Unchained or Life of Pi
I have 8 Hitchcock and 7 Tarantino.
Rarely
I don't know I have a lot of foreign films, but I wouldn't know the ratio
How many criterions do you own?
9 (Man Bites Dog, Monsieur Hulot's Holiday, Paths of Glory, Le Trou, Umberto D, The Bicycle Thieves, Le Samurai, The Wages of Fear and Ikiru)
Tarantino XX I think.
I'd say Psycho on Blu Ray is awesome as well as the criterion of Ikiru

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2. -1/5

Oldest movie?
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

Most recent movie?
American Ultra

Kurosawa

This has become more frequent. I mainly do it if it's a $5 movie.

Donnie, I still don't understand the question. I'll again count my first 20 movies and see how many are foreign. 11

How many Criterions do you own?

Two

Abbott and Costello Collection

Still Oldboy.