THE Masterpiece of a director

Tools    

Make a better place
Richard Linklater - Boyhood

Clint Eastwood - Mystic River

I always hear the statement - this certain film is [insert director's name] masterpiece, recently heard a post saying Interstellar is Nolan's masterpiece. I assume it's the film that stands above the rest and define the director's greatness.

I'd like to include what I think is THE masterpiece of some directors:

David Fincher - Se7en (though I enjoyed Zodiac a lot more, Se7en was its catalyst)
Coen Brothers - A Serious Man
PTA - Boogie Nights
Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
Martin Scorsese - Taxi Driver

Add on with what you think is the masterpiece of other directors (or just fill in the ones above).
Personally, I think Goodfellas is Scorsese's masterpiece and Fargo is the Cohen Brothers' masterpiece. I would consider Fight Club to be Fincher's masterpiece and Requiem for a Dream to be Aronofsky's.

Other Director Masterpieces IMO:

Sidney Lumet, Network

Alfred Hitchcock, Psycho

William Wyler, The Best Years of our Lives

Woody Allen, Crimes and Misdemeanors

Alan J Pakula, All the President's Men

Sydney Pollack, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Billy Wilder, Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment (that's as far as I can narrow it down)

Blake Edwards, Breakfast at Tiffany's

Robert Altman, Nashville

Mike Nichols, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Stanley Kubrick, Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Vincente Minnelli, Meet Me in St. Louis

Clint Eastwood, Mystic River

Samuel Fuller - Pickup on South Street

John Cassavetes - A Woman Under The Influence (although I found The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie to be better, A Woman has more popularity behind it)

James Cameron - The Terminator

Ridley Scott - Alien

Roman Polanski - Rosemary's Baby

Brian De Palma - Scarface or Carrey

David Lynch - The Elephant Man

John Frankenheimer - The Manchurian Candidate

As much as I love Rosemary's Baby, I feel that Polanski's masterpiece is Chinatown all the way.

Goodfellas and Taxi Driver are my 2 favorite movies, yet I've always thought of Raging Bull as Scorsese's Masterpiece.

Boogie Nights is in my top 5, but for PTA, I go with There Will Be Blood.

For Eastwood, Mystic River is a favorite of mine, but so is Unforgiven. I'll go with Unforgiven.

Kubrick has made 3 huge favorites of mine, one in my top 5, but I consider his masterpiece to be 2001. I don't even like 2001.

For Kurosawa, give me The Seven Samurai.

A masterpiece doesn't automatically mean that that particular film is my absolute favorite of that director. That said, here are some directors and their masterpieces (sometimes more than one) according to me:

Stanley Kubrick - 2001 - A Space Oddysey
Martin Scorsese - Goodfellas, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull (which is probably his "grandest" film)
Alfred Hitchcock - Vertigo
Steven Spielberg - Schindler's List
Frederico Fellini - 8 1/2
Wong Kar Wai - In the Mood For Love, The Master
Quentin Tarantino - Pulp Fiction
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood
Coen Brothers - Fargo
Woody Allen - Manhattan, Crimes and Misdemeanors
Tim Burton - Ed Wood
Hayao Miyazaki - Spirited Away
Robert Altman - Nashville, Short Cuts
Orson Welles - Citizen Kane
Billy Wilder - Sunset Boulevard
Charlie Chaplin - Modern Times
Mike Nichols - The Graduate
Wes Anderson - Moonrise Kingdom
David Fincher - Fight Club
John Huston - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Mel Brooks - Young Frankenstein
Sergio Leone - Once Upon a Time in America, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
David Lynch - Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive
Roman Polanski - Chinatown
Terry Gilliam - Brazil
David Cronenberg - Dead Ringers
Francis Ford Coppola - The Godfather, Apocalypse Now
Ridley Scott - Blade Runner
David Lean - Lawrence of Arabia
John Ford - The Searchers
Spike Lee - Do the Right Thing
Brian De Palma - Body Double and Femme Fatale (the two films that capture his typically recognizable style with the grandest and most imaginative vision, in my opinion)

There are certain great directors that I really respect, but that I still need to see a few more (important) films from to truly be able to capably aswer this question. Then there are also some popular directors that I think didn't deliver any masterpieces (yet).

Samuel Fuller - Pickup on South Street

John Cassavetes - A Woman Under The Influence (although I found The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie to be better, A Woman has more popularity behind it)

James Cameron - The Terminator

Ridley Scott - Alien

Roman Polanski - Rosemary's Baby

Brian De Palma - Scarface or Carrey

David Lynch - The Elephant Man

John Frankenheimer - The Manchurian Candidate
I'll second A Woman Under the Influence, Rosemary's Baby, and The Elephant Man. Personally, for John Frankenheimer, I would have chosen Seconds.

You see, Seconds is magnificent but The Manchurian Candidate is more known. Don't doubt either choice tbh.

A system of cells interlinked
Ridley Scott - Blade Runner

David Lynch - Mulholland Drive

Sam Peckinpah - The Wild Bunch

Wong Kar Wai - In the Mood for Love

Wachowski Siblings - Cloud Atlas

Ang Lee - The Life of Pi

Alfred Hitchcock - Vertigo

Martin Scorsese - Taxi Driver (Just edging Goodfellas for me, which might reverse, depending on mood)

Stanley Kubrick - Wow, so hard to choose... I will go against the grain here: Eyes Wide Shut

Coen Bros. - Miller's Crossing

Alfonso Cuaron - Children of Men