2021 Film Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
Welcome once again to the annual Film Challenge! The 4th edition is here and brings new, old and returning challenges to test your film prowess and explore your cinematic horizons.

The overall number of films has largely remained the same, even if there have been major changes since last year's edition. On the main challenge, you will find J6: "watch a film suggested by another participant of this challenge", which will require a bit of cooperation. It's as simple as asking one of the other participants for a suggestion on something to watch that you haven't seen before. If you feel like the first response you get is not to your liking, feel free to pool various participants or ask for alternate picks from them. This is meant to increase interaction between us and help spread some love for films that are dear to us.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Important Notes:
  • The challenge officially starts on January 1st 2021, so start updating your lists with films you watch after that date.
  • How you count films is up to you. This is not a contest and it is up to each and every one to decide how they want to do this. I would suggest going for one film per category either in the main challenge or in nightmare mode, preferably films you watched for the first time this year, but that's just me.
  • In order for everyone to be able to effortlessly scroll down the page, I would suggest wrapping your updates in collapsible text, like in this post.
Have fun watching films this year!

The trick is not minding
Love it! Most of the films I saved on Amazon in anticipation fit into this already.
Going to have to have to think on my suggestion later on.
As always, good job Jabs!

Welcome to the human race...
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Welcome to the human race...
Two other points...

1) Seeing as Dogme 95 was already used in an earlier challenge, I think it could do with being swapped out for something else.
2) When I saw that we were taking suggestions from other users, I thought it was a case where every participant would list a film and people would pick from those, but I guess sourcing suggestions until you get one that works would make more sense.

The trick is not minding
I’m going with Kaiju for my genre, which I know is really a sub genre but I don’t think people will be bothered by that.
My brother has a box set of Godzilla films that I am eyeing up.

The trick is not minding
Two other points...

1) Seeing as Dogme 95 was already used in an earlier challenge, I think it could do with being swapped out for something else.
2) When I saw that we were taking suggestions from other users, I thought it was a case where every participant would list a film and people would pick from those, but I guess sourcing suggestions until you get one that works would make more sense.
I’d like Dogme 95 to stay, considering it was among the movements I was hoping would have been included.

Saved for Later

[
Challenge  

Nightmare mode  

Tony Rome (1967)
The Werewolf (1956)
Homicide (1949)
Bodyguard (1948)
The Dark Past (1948)
The Long Night (1947)
Kind Lady (1935)

Also answers to Jabba
@Iroquois Dogme 95 makes a return as many other movements have done in the past. Unfortunately there aren't that many (semi)prominent movements out there with a large enough pool of accessible films to put only new ones out there every year. I do remember that my pick two years ago was Celebration which was one of the best films I watched that year, so it would be interesting to try digging a bit more into it.

As for the suggestions, my original thinking was the same as yours: have one person post a suggestion each. However to avoid potential deadlocks with someone having watched all suggestions already etc, it is better to have the option to not just ask for more films but even for recommendations based on personal taste. On my end, I can always offer suggestions upon request. If you want something more specific and not a generic 'good film' suggestion feel free to narrow it down for me and I will do my best.

The trick is not minding
Quick question with the following challenge:

D. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres list below]
1. [Horror: Slasher] [Science Fiction: Cyberpunk] [Crime: Courtroom Drama] [Thriller: Giallo]
2. [Horror: Monster] [Science Fiction: Alien Invasion] [Crime: Gangster] [Thriller: Spy]
3. [Horror: Paranormal] [Science Fiction: Dystopian] [Crime: Heist] [Thriller: Conspiracy]
4. [Horror: Gore] [Science Fiction: Time Travel] [Crime: Buddy Cop] [Thriller: Psychological]

I choose one genre and watch all four sub genres?
Or can I pick and choose from the four sub genres in each bone ?
Cyberpunk for #1
Gangster for #2
And so on.
My understanding is perhaps the former. But double checking

Quick question with the following challenge:

D. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres list below]
1. [Horror: Slasher] [Science Fiction: Cyberpunk] [Crime: Courtroom Drama] [Thriller: Giallo]
2. [Horror: Monster] [Science Fiction: Alien Invasion] [Crime: Gangster] [Thriller: Spy]
3. [Horror: Paranormal] [Science Fiction: Dystopian] [Crime: Heist] [Thriller: Conspiracy]
4. [Horror: Gore] [Science Fiction: Time Travel] [Crime: Buddy Cop] [Thriller: Psychological]

I choose one genre and watch all four sub genres?
Or can I pick and choose from the four sub genres in each bone ?
Cyberpunk for #1
Gangster for #2
And so on.
My understanding is perhaps the former. But double checking
My interpretation was that you pick a genre and then watch a film from each of its subgenres. So you're either watching 4 horrors, 4 sci-fi, 4 crime, or 4 thrillers.

The trick is not minding
My interpretation was that you pick a genre and then watch a film from each of its subgenres. So you're either watching 4 horrors, 4 sci-fi, 4 crime, or 4 thrillers.
That’s how I interpreted it as well, but figured I’d double check.
Thank you

Also answers to Jabba
Yes indeed. You must pick one genre only.

@Iroquois In My precious...awards you have to pick something from category C, not G. You can't pick 1001 Films to watch before you die. You must have copied it before It edited it.

Important Edit
In the main challenge, J5 has been changed to a 2021 release as was my original intention.

Also answers to Jabba
Setting down my own list for future updates:

Main Challenge: 30/52

Nightmare Mode: 56/110

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

I just took a look at the 2020 challenge and it appears that participants are not required to review every thing they watch, correct? If that's the case I think I can crush this challenge!
I tend to only write about films that I find remarkable in some way, good or bad, so I'm not likely to write a review for every middle-of-the-pack snoozer that I watch. (I seem to watch a lot of those, unfortunately)

I just took a look at the 2020 challenge and it appears that participants are not required to review every thing they watch, correct? If that's the case I think I can crush this challenge!
I tend to only write about films that I find remarkable in some way, good or bad, so I'm not likely to write a review for every middle-of-the-pack snoozer that I watch. (I seem to watch a lot of those, unfortunately)
I reviewed most of them in the "Rate the Last Movie . .. " thread. I think it's nice to share some thoughts to give other people ideas if they are stuck on a certain category.

The trick is not minding
Not a requirement, no. Welcome aboard!

Yep I’m 100% game for this I’ll be honest I’m pretty mainstream so it’ll be a bit of a stretch for me. So can we post the movies we watch after we watch them and write a little on each one and score? I thinks that’s what I’ll do.

The trick is not minding
Yep I’m 100% game for this I’ll be honest I’m pretty mainstream so it’ll be a bit of a stretch for me. So can we post the movies we watch after we watch them and write a little on each one and score? I thinks that’s what I’ll do.
You can, but that’s what the “rate your last movie” thread is for, so I would just post your reviews there but keep track of them here. It would avoid too much clutter here.
Welcome aboard!
Best thing about these challenges, as this is its 4th year here, and my second year participating, is the different genres and film movements that you can explore if you haven’t previously.
This leads to some truly unique films.
Great way to become a well rounded cinephile.