Falling in Love (1984)

→ in
Tools    

You're only as healthy as you feel
Falling in Love

Starring: Robert DeNiro,Meryl Streep,Harvey Keitel.
Genre: Drama,Romance.
Directed by:Ulu Grosbard.

During shopping for Christmas, Frank and Molly run into each other. This fleeting short moment will start to change their lives, when they recognize each other months later in the train home and have a good time together. Although both are married and Frank has two little kids, they meet more and more often, their friendship becoming the most precious thing in their lives.

Absolutely brilliant acting on the part of the main protagonists, Streep and de Niro. I don't believe for one single moment you can find love by taking the train - I have been travelling daily for years on public transport and have never encountered anything remotely resembling what happens in the film - but films ARE made to make us dream and this film certainly does. Why, pray, if you want daily reality, then you watch a documentary.

These two characters and the actors that portray them are ideally suited to the script and film. They're both pretty reserved, shy and respect the contract of marriage, but something inexorably brings them together. You watch, thinking "this cannot last" but somehow it does. One or other of the characters takes the right initiative at the right moment. Truly unbelievable when you look at stark reality but oh boy is it fun to watch on the screen.

The same story played out by ordinary actors would be a total flop, but with Streep and De Niro, success is guaranteed right the way thru ! A must for all those who have never found true love but secretly harbour the hope of finding it one day .....................

WARNING: "I'v seen this film twice on television and it had a sad ending: when they meet again at the bookstore, they talk and say goodbye, they walk out, each in a different direction....end titles. " spoilers below
I'v seen this film twice on television and it had a sad ending: when they meet again at the bookstore, they talk and say goodbye, they walk out, each in a different direction....end titles.

The version I have on dvd now has a happy ending: they walk in a different direction and after a short while Robert changes his mind and runs after her.

I hope you liked my first review

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Congrats on writing your first review, Robert.
Thanks for the warning about the spoilers, but you may want to learn how to use spoiler tags: [*spoilers=Falling In Love] what happens at the end is... [/*spoilers] take out the *'s and that's what you type.

Originally Posted by Robert DeNiro
I hope you liked my first review
I did, I love this movie, a true love story

You're only as healthy as you feel
Originally Posted by nebbit
I did, I love this movie, a true love story

Oh!!

Thank you and i love your new look

I like it so much, but it's sad at the end