Into The Wild

→ in
Tools    

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Who has seen it and what did you think of it?

I found it to be a strange and compelling movie.

The constant time shifts were bothersome as they almost always are. I truly wish this "novel" approach to storytelling would stop being THE WAY to tell stories in the movies and on TV these days. J.J. Abrams I blame YOU!

Mainly I wanted to know why this boy decided to abandon his family. I mean if you feel betrayed by your parents and is that even true? Was he? Or was that an exaggeration? Why don't you at least care for your sister? How cruel is it to just disappear? How selfish was he? I'm thinking mental illness was involved. Does anyone know?

I did love how he found substitute parents on the road. That's a beautiful idea to contemplate that there are people who miss others with whom you can bond if you just open yourselves up.

But he abandoned them as well for the wild. Why?

The ending was so sad. I mean I expected it but still, a little more explanation might be nice. I guess there wasn't any because no one knows why?

All in all it was a compelling movie. I didn't like some of camera angles they used a all. I would have liked things to be more straight forward in general but I liked it.

I know why, but it's not exactly something that can be easily explained to someone who doesn't 'get it'. Also I prefer the non-linear approach in this film and the ambitious camera angles. Who wants the same old story over and over, told the same way? And to blame J.J. Abrams is kind of funny, he is certainly not the first or the most influential to use this technique.

Have you read Thoreau's 'Walden' or 'Civil Disobedience'? He was searching for truth, they both were.

This film is based on a true story, and people's real actions are sometimes harder to understand than those of fictional characters. By the way I give this film

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

- Henry David Thoreau
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

But he abandoned them as well for the wild. Why?

The ending was so sad. I mean I expected it but still, a little more explanation might be nice. I guess there wasn't any because no one knows why?

All in all it was a compelling movie. I didn't like some of camera angles they used a all. I would have liked things to be more straight forward in general but I liked it.
The "character" of Christopher McCandless is very profound and very selfish. To leave the people that birthed you into this world is a strange concept for anybody who grows up in a family environment (lets say majority+). But Chris's mind set was very much against modern society and didn't want to have anything to do with it. That is why he left, to be free. "The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences"

People are drawn into this "hero" of a character because he does what some really deep down want to do, and raises questions to those who haven't thought of. Have you never felt like running away and being in the moment of it all? Leave everything you've had to go...Into the Wild?!

ha kinda cheesliche but what ev. I loved the movie: Story, Acting, Directing, Soundtrack, camera angles and editing all took me in. But I mos def feel this tension that you seem to have with all the questions you have. One of the most powerful scenes I have ever seen is when William Hurt walks out into the middle of the street and breaks down in tears and falls to his feet. Thats where you put yourself in his shoes and you can't believe what Chris did to them, never calling or anything. But the story is such a tale of human instinct that i think all of us can somewhat relate to McCandless. But the ending is indeed sad and I think you nailed it with why they didn't go into the 'Why' of the story because Chris only knows for sure. And even though I dislike his choices, whiched seemed to have merit to him because his family was somewhat disconnected, I say RIP Chris

"Happiness is only real when shared..."

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
I know why, but it's not exactly something that can be easily explained to someone who doesn't 'get it'. Also I prefer the non-linear approach in this film and the ambitious camera angles. Who wants the same old story over and over, told the same way? And to blame J.J. Abrams is kind of funny, he is certainly not the first or the most influential to use this technique.

Have you read Thoreau's 'Walden' or 'Civil Disobedience'? He was searching for truth, they both were.

This film is based on a true story, and people's real actions are sometimes harder to understand than those of fictional characters. By the way I give this film

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

- Henry David Thoreau
Quoted for truth (except for the rating). Also, have you read Cather in the Rye? A little different than Into the Wild, but it puts you into the head of a kid in a pretty similar situation. Plus, it's a classic of literature. Catcher in the Rye's themes are extremely prevalent throughout the popular arts so it's pretty much a must read.

Like Harry said, it's hard to explain to someone who doesn't understand that feeling. I've had it before, so I know I was pretty affected by the whole thing. In fact, the more I think it over that movie really changed me for the better. I saw how selfish he was, and I got real chocked up when he left that last old guy, and when he died. It was a wake up call for sure. I saw it before I read Transcendentalist stuff or Catcher so this was my first exposure to these themes.

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I don't have time to right now, but I'll be back later to explain my take on this. I will say, however, I'm with Chet on this.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here's what I thought:

Into the Wild (Sean Penn, 2007)

The tragic true-life story of Chris McCandless is brought to the screen by writer/producer/director Sean Penn in a meticulous production which not only honors the young man, but enables Penn to fly like the birds with all the flair of the high altitude jets' contrails. I'll try to explain that soon enough, but first off, this film presents, at least to me, Sean Penn's most heartfelt, poetic and personal depiction of his prowess as a filmmaker thus far. Penn basically takes a straightforward, yet heartbreaking story, and impressionistically makes it as complex as he possibly can. But, I believe that the result is so inclusive that most people won't even notice all the gymnastics he actually brought to the powerful story.

In the Spring of 1992, McCandless (who renamed himself Alexander Supertramp) made his way to the wilderness north of Fairbanks, Alaska. This was the culmination of a two-year journey where he rejected all the things which his rich, but unhappy family believed in. This journey is told in parallel lines which are made even more complex by Sean Penn's technique. Basically, one thread of the film follows Chris' story in Alaska, from the time he found the remote "Magic Bus" up through his fate. The other thread shows him graduating from college two years earlier and traveling across the country on his own personal odyssey to find the truth without ever resorting to communicate with his parents (William Hurt and Marcia Gay Harden) or his loving younger sister (Jena Malone).

Another way in which the film is told in multiple ways is that McCandless' diary sometimes tells the story, while at other times, his sister narrates their story, which not only includes the loss their parents feel after he disappears, but includes earlier episodes of family tension involving adultery and earlier expressions of disharmony amongst the family before Chris went "into the wild". On his journey, Chris comes across many interesting people who are also living an alternate lifestyle, and he also becomes a true adventurer. Some of the most spectacular scenes in the film, besides those in Alaska, involve his kayaking through the Grand Canyon without a permit or a helmet and his subsequent kayaking trip to the Sea of Cortez.

The contradiction which I find in the character is that he obviously rejects his parents' way of life, but he never honestly seems to reject people in general because he comes across far too many giving individuals who want to help him. He seems to have his sights set on a way to "punish" his parents, but his naivete leads him to shortsidedly neglect certain provisions to get himself out of a "no-win" situation. As the film gets closer to the end, Chris' "fellow travelers" reach out to him more and more, none more than the 80-ish Ron (Hal Holbrook), who is a kindred spirit and a truly worthy grandfather for the young man. Looking at things in hindsight, the saddest part of the movie is when Chris leaves Ron.

Basically, Penn uses every technique he can think of to tell this story. Besides using Eddie Vedder's personal songs, he includes plot-pertinent oldies such as "Going Up the Country" and "King of the Road". He also includes fake home movies, split screens, freeze frames, poetic shots of birds and high altitude jets, and they are all meant to show a young man's quest for freedom. Most of us yearn for and dream of getting away from it all, but Chris McCandless actually got literally away from it all, and this film is his memorial. I know that some people dislike Sean Penn because of his politics, but his artistry is evident all over this mostly-unassuming film which is chockful of individuality.

Have I ever felt like going away from everybody?

Yes. In fact I've done it but for a very short period of time.

Would my version of getting away involve killing and eating animals or, for that matter, going to Alaska?

No way.

Could I stay disconnected from everyone knowing I was leaving them in pain?

No. I could not.

I agree with everyone that said that the music was good. I did enjoy it, more than I do the music in most films.

Personally I think you can find truth without running away.

Would my version of getting away involve killing and eating animals or, for that matter, going to Alaska?
He regretted that by the way.

Could I stay disconnected from everyone knowing I was leaving them in pain?
They caused him pain, was that acceptable?

Personally I think you can find truth without running away.
Different strokes...

Anyway, Bleached you read a book every day or two, maybe you should check this one out. It may give you a little more insight than the film.

He regretted that by the way.
You must have read the book, I'm guessing. So he regretted killing those animals? Not enough it seems. From what I've read since seeing the movie he had plenty of options from not going to getting far more adequate supplied but out of all the options he had, he chose the one which would require him to hunt.

They caused him pain, was that acceptable?
No, of course not but, it's to be expected because it's human. People do that. Show me two people in any sort of relationship that have never hurt one another anywhere.

Running away solves very little to nothing depending on the situation. I've been left by my mother before. She left me with strangers sometimes and I had no idea where she was or if I would see her again. It's quite terrifying for anyone to be left with NO communication.

How exactly did they cause him pain? The movie supposedly exaggerates that whole situation of not really being married and all. If you've read the book I'd like to know what the issues really were. Would you share that with me?

Also I've read that the 16 year old singer bit was made up for the movie too. Was it?

Different strokes...

Anyway, Bleached you read a book every day or two, maybe you should check this one out. It may give you a little more insight than the film.
Maybe so. I'm not feeling real compelled to do that though. To my way of thinking this kid was both bitter and naive. He was caught up in this macho idea of nature's glory. He thought he had to forsake everything to find truth but truth is always there. People go to great lengths to "find" it but most of what they do brings them distractions of different kinds rather than any real truth. You don't have to go anywhere to find truth you simply have to be and pay attention.

Yes, way different strokes. I love to take changes and feel free. I crave it. I love trying new things. However, I tend to research it and also plan for ways to let my family stay in touch and for me to survive.

Frankly this movie is probably better for me than the book. The book would probably give me nightmares and make me very angry. Just like Running With Scissors was much better as a movie for me than the book would have been.

BTW, I also read that there was actually a way to cross not far from where he was AND a cabin fully stocked close by but he didn't know about them because he didn't have a map.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Let me ask you this, bleached. Why did you watch this film? It sounds to me like you knew it would piss you off. I'd also love for you to come here in your earlier voice when you had no kids and probably thought more about yourself and what you thought was right (although I know you still believe that you think you know what's right, even if it's different than it was when you were Chris's age). I'm not trying to rag on you, but the kid is dead, so he can't respond to your questions. It's just that I find it hard to believe that you are the same now as you were 30 years ago because I know for a fact that I'm not.

Let me ask you this, bleached. Why did you watch this film? It sounds to me like you knew it would piss you off. I'd also love for you to come here in your earlier voice when you had no kids and probably thought more about yourself and what you thought was right (although I know you still believe that you think you know what's right, even if it's different than it was when you were Chris's age). I'm not trying to rag on you, but the kid is dead, so he can't respond to your questions. It's just that I find it hard to believe that you are the same now as you were 30 years ago because I know for a fact that I'm not.
The film didn't piss me off at all. I was curious about the story. I'd heard about it and the film and therefore wanted to know more in the most acceptable form I could deal with it in.

I was sad that he died but I had heard enough to expect it. It simply left me very curious about how and why someone would shut off from everyone that loved them back home that's all.

At 24 I was absolutely miserable and wanted to die. In fact, spent every afternoon in a bathtub just aching to end my life from 23-25. I think those years are tough for a lot of people. I know a lot of people are terribly depressed then. I was pretty self destructive in my own way. It wasn't until I carried a life inside me that I began making better choices because I honestly didn't care much about myself but I did care about my unborn child.

Even though I'm not happy about the choices he made, I have been trying to understand them. When I ask questions it's not to pick things apart. It's to find out the answers.

I do think the movie tried to portray him as some sort of hero in a way and a tragic figure as well. Well he is certainly a tragic figure but like the character played by Will Smith in the movie, Seven Pounds, I also think he was incredibly selfish rather that selfless.

Was I selfish as 24? You bet. I'm sure I was in a very strange sort of way. Who isn't? However I thought about what would happen if I killed myself and did not make even one attempt due to my love for a family member. That family member later didn't return that emotion and priority to me. So, I just would like to know what caused the rift between him and his family exactly? I'm just curious. I'm just trying to understand.

I don't have all the answers. I'm not sure where you got the idea I felt that way. I do have a code I live by that I've developed over the years and it's always changing but it's far from perfect.

One of the best films of 2007, with a remarkable performance by Emile Hirsch and stellar cinematography by Eric Gautier. I had read the book several years earlier and was very impressed by how the story was brought to life. I understand that some view McCandless as an arrogant prick and believe Penn glorified him, but I do not feel that way at all.

I still ain't seen it but it does sound very interesting. But the notion of a guy going out and starving to death sounds very disturbing to me. He obviously had his reasons, but christ. Can you imagine the agony and days upon days of the body weakening and feeding itself? I don't think people understand just how slow and horrible a death that can be.

I'm also surprised and quite intrigued by the narrative technique the film uses. I figured that this would be a pretty linear film given it's subject matter.

Gonna watch it just as soon as i'm done with the final season of The Wire.

It's not like he intentionally goes Into the Wild so he can starve himself to death, Prestige.
Yeah, I figured that when I did a bit more research. I thought it was intentional so my bad.

INTO THE WILD is a terribly sad and emotionally gripping cinematic journey, incredibly based on a true story, about a young man named Christopher Johnson McCandless. who after graduating from college, decides to forsake his cushy upper middle class lifestyle, change his name to Alexander Supertramp, and journey across country,with nothing but the clothes on his back, with his eventual goal being to travel to the Alaskan wilderness. Sean Penn's meticulous direction and eloquent screenplay take us on a cinematic journey quite unlike anything we've seen before. This is not an easy watch...there are several moments in this film depicting what Chris has to do to survive in the wilderness that completely redefine the phrase "roughing it" and definitely make this a film not for all tastes. but if you can stomach it, the journey is worth it and will leave a lump in the throat. Emile Hirsch is impressive in the physically and emotionally demanding role of Chris, probably the strongest performance of his career. Oscar winners William Hurt and Marcia Gay Harden appear as Chris' parents and Vince Vaughn, Catherine Keener, and in a performance that earned him his first Oscar nomination, Hal Holbrook, also score in brief supporting roles. The film is also beautifully photographed with some breathtaking scenery but it is the work of Penn and Hirsch that make this deliberate journey worth your time.