Movies You Hate

Tools    

Wow, I'm not the only person who didn't like The Royal Tenenbaums. I just couldn't be bothered trying to care about the characters; they were ditchwater-dull, Anderson just seemed to assume that they were enthralling. Couldn't even finish it, actually. Maybe it was the poisonous presence of Ben Stiller.

Not that I hate Anderson's work generally; I liked Rushmore a lot, and while The Life Aquatic was pretty rubbish plot-wise, it was absolutely packed with lovely touches.

Tacitus says he doesn't like Ferrell because he just doesn't find him funny. My reaction to Ferrell is just as simple. I like Ferrell, because I just find him funny. He's in bad films, he often has awful lines, but he's so charming, so naturally comic (the polar opposite of Ben Stiller), that he often single-handedly saves them. Anchorman would have been garbage without him. With him... well, it was still garbage, but often very funny garbage.

All this talk of the unfunny Ferrell made me remember another movie I really disliked…

Bewitched (2005)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Nurse Betty
Airplane, the first time I saw it. I was 12, didn't get most of the jokes, and the girl who INSISTED we see it fell asleep about 10 minutes into it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm definately getting a differing sense of humour vibe as this thread moves along...

I like Airplane a lot but it's humour seems to come from the 'throw enough brown stuff against the wall and some is bound to stick' school.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Love Actually: Actually, I thought it was actually pretty darn unfunny and boring. Lame jokes, annoying acting, some of the most cringe inducing dialogue I've heard in a long time. Actually!
Bend it Like Beckham: Girl's good at football, family don't want girl to play football, girl joins football team, family don't want girl to join football team, I switch off the TV with a blank, unamused facial expression.
The Guru: I just really really really don't like this film. I can't force myself to laugh at this, I can't even force myself to watch it. I just think it's tedious. I don't hate Bollywood films (I loved Lagaan), I just didn't find this funny at all.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding: Boring.

House of the Dead- This movie was so bad that I could not even finish it. It is one of those movies where everything goes wrong, bad acting, directing, special effects, horrible diologue.

The Matrix Revolutions- I loved the matrix, and i could live with the Matrix Reloaded, but i thought Revolutions was absolutely horrible.

The Punisher(2004)- I didnt hate this movie as much as the other two, but it completely ruined a cool marvel comic character. It could have been done a lot better.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Sleezy
One movie I despise:

The Royal Tenenbaums (Anderson, 2001)

I can see how Wes Anderson's films can appeal to some people, because he definitely has his own unique style of writing and execution. But it doesn't really appeal to me at all. Rushmore was tolerable, but The Royal Tenenbaums drove me bonkers. The characters look like they're supposed to be interesting, but aren't. The dialogue is, for the most part, flat and unremarkable. The acting is much the same (which was disappointing, to say the least): I only found Gene Hackman mildly engaging. I don't know, maybe it's just the way this one was written and put together. Watching it makes me feel like I'm trying to walk through a pretty brick wall.

Ironically, I thought The Life Aquatic was great.
You know i never knew there was anyone who felt the same about this movie as i do. Or Anderson for that matter. It felt like i was missing out on some joke that everyone else got. Now i realise i am not. At last i can sleep a peaceful slumber...

However i still didnt like The Life Aquatic all that much.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
I never have watched that... every time I thought about it, the cover looked so unappealing, I'd always put it back on the shelf...

My roomates mom is an actress in Airplane lol.

Didn't like it either...anyways shes the blonde getting smacked in the face with all of the wrenches bats whatever...

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
My roomates mom is an actress in Airplane lol.

Didn't like it either...anyways shes the blonde getting smacked in the face with all of the wrenches bats whatever...
That's frigging awesome.

IMO Airplane! is possibly the funniest film ever made...

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
I didn't expect to enjoy The Life Aquatic at all, and I think that's why I liked it (if that makes sense). I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the steaming turd I thought it was going to be.

There were still things about the film I didn't like. The plot is bizarre, unrealistic, and hard to follow. The emotional element is either barely there or completely nonexistent. Still, I loved the eccentric characters and their portrayals by an exceptional cast (Bill Murray and Cate Blanchett especially). The dialogue was quirky and interesting, and the cinematography and editing were absolutely fantastic.

Originally Posted by James Bond
The Punisher(2004)- I didnt hate this movie as much as the other two, but it completely ruined a cool marvel comic character. It could have been done a lot better.
It could have been alot worse, too. To its credit, that film was extremely low-budget (considering the budgets of some other comic films out there), and I think that really helped. It kept things simple, and focused on the action and psychological conflict abound. The fight with the Russian was incredible, and all the roles were solid. Frank Castle came off somewhat flat and impersonal, which was disappointing, but hey - he looked, acted, and sounded the part just fine. No one else would have been better. There were other problems, of course, but not nearly as many as I expected.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Sleezy
The emotional element is either barely there or completely nonexistent.
But the catalyst of the plot is vengence for a beloved friend. Then there's the slowly budding relationship between Wilson and Murray (who is great in this new type of roles he's been taking on which I think Anderson started for him with Rushmore). Plus Blanchett who refrains from swearing so her baby won't hear it, in the womb. Not to mention the fact that both Murray and Wilson's characters are in love with her, but can barely bear to express it. The emotion in Anderson's films is often so strained and painful, that it is barely expressed openly and sits just below the surface, or is hinted at and revealed in small doses. Or it could be that the emotion is played in such a deadpan manner that it can almost be ingnored if you're not dialed into it. I guess a lot of people don't like Wes Anderson's films, but excepting Bottle Rocket, I love all of them.

At the very least, no one can tell me they hate Mark Mothersbaugh's brilliant scores. That guy whips it good .

I Will Shrink You
flightplan - Boring and ****ty
Star Wars - Revenge Of The Sith - doesnt make sense
the notebook - i fell asleep (no Joke)
The day After Tommorow - Pathetic

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Strummer521
The emotion in Anderson's films is often so strained and painful, that it is barely expressed openly and sits just below the surface, or is hinted at and revealed in small doses. Or it could be that the emotion is played in such a deadpan manner that it can almost be ingnored if you're not dialed into it.
Yeah, what I meant by that statement was, in the film, the emotion is almost completely expressed through silence, or through melancholy and (sometimes, but not always) deadpan dialogue. There are little or no physically evident emotional reactions. Everyone is closed. That seems to be a Wes Anderson trademark.

That said, I don't think it really hurts The Life Aquatic as much as it hurt The Royal Tenenbaums. I think Anderson, somewhere between both films, understood that if you're going to make the emotional stuff so dry and distant, you can't make the humor equally dry. The Life Aquatic doesn't use "in-your-face" humor by any means, but the editing, soundtrack, writing, and choice of actors enhance the humor and keep the film afloat (no pun intended). Simply put, I found the humor extremely light-hearted, intelligent, and - most importantly - accessible, and I didn't find that in The Royal Tenenbaums.

Lets put a smile on that block
I have lots to say on this discussion but not the time to participate! Grrrrr, damn my stupid job! Up for work in 6 hours, woopeeeee! I need a robot that looks and sounds like me.

Or maybe ill just fake my own death.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Offensive cliche's battle for supremacy. Will it be Love at first sight conquers all, or the big ending speech that brings everyone to their senses. I don't think there's a moment in this film that doesn't come across as didactic and completely dead. And Katherine Hepburn. Her perfect role would be one of the moronic talking heads in Greenaway's 'Tulse Luper Suitcases'.

And what was with the black woman covertly boogying down in the kitchen when the white folks weren't looking? If it didn't have that ultra earnest Hepburn & Tracy seal of approval I would have taken it as some sort of ironic parody.

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
My Big Fat Greek Wedding: Boring.
Big Fat was a big Indie hit and I was expecting good things. Didn't like it at all. The only thing worse than an attractive actress who is supposed to be homely is a homely actress who is supposed to appeal to a stud like John Corbett.

Toula was really really unattractive in the beginning of the movie. And not just physically. They went too far. When I can't buy the premise (hot guy is attracted to frumpy mess of a woman) the movie is over at that point.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Two movies that come quickly to mind happen to both be chick flicks...

The Stepmom -I would just smack the two brats in the movie and it would have been over in 5 minutes

Spanglish -Again I would smack someone, but this time I would smack the mother. She was completely annoying. And then I finished the movie wondering if anything really happened. It was just a crappy movie through and through.