Your honest opinion of Batman Forever

Tools    

Despite it not really being the sort of thing I liked too much, I'd really enjoyed Batman Returns (still think it's the second best Batman film after the proper 1966 version) and it had Drew Barrymore in it? I was definitely there. After leaving the cinema? Well, Drew looked even sexier than I'd hoped and... Y'know, it'd had Drew Barrymore in it.

I should watch it again, as I might well like it more now than I did in the 90's? My problem is that I don't think I'll find it as bad (and therefore, fun) as Batman And Robin which is very, very not good. I do remember liking Kilmer more as Batman though.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Despite it not really being the sort of thing I liked too much, I'd really enjoyed Batman Returns (still think it's the second best Batman film after the proper 1966 version) and it had Drew Barrymore in it? I was definitely there. After leaving the cinema? Well, Drew looked even sexier than I'd hoped and... Y'know, it'd had Drew Barrymore in it.

I should watch it again, as I might well like it more now than I did in the 90's? My problem is that I don't think I'll find it as bad (and therefore, fun) as Batman And Robin which is very, very not good. I do remember liking Kilmer more as Batman though.
No denying that she was one of the best things about it. With that cast, it makes one wonder how it managed to fail the way it did.

Oh okay, but I felt you could still have style and grittiness at the same time. Blade Runner for example, has a neon look, but still dark and gritty non the less.
Sure, if you use neon realistically (very common in places like Chinatown or Times Square).
In the Schumacher Batman films, neon was everywhere - illuminating skyscrapers, underneath bridges and decorating gang members in back alleys (i.e. not a realistic use).

Blade Runner pulled off a believable cityscape... but one of the future, so it still didn't look like the cities we're used to seeing, but believable as far as a near-future projection as the dark areas and grime of big cities will probably be with us for quite a while even as technology and illuminated digital advertising advances.

Have you seen Nicole in "Eyes Wide Shut," Rambond?

I think "Batman Forever" is not as bad as its reputation but still not very good. It was a step in the direction that "Batman and Robin" would jump into. But it's the only adaptation that reminds me of the comic of the 50s, with sci-fi technology and interplay between Batman, Robin and Alfred being key.

But I differ from many people because I think the Burton films were campy, too- especially "Batman Returns." I mean, The Penguin looked like someone from Lewis Carroll and that was DeVito's hammiest acting ever. But I think it was ingenious of Burton to create a distinctive atmosphere for the first two films that supported the wild characters and concepts. I missed that in Nolan's films though it would have been out of place in them.

I thought it was alright when I first saw it, but I probably wasn't sober at the time. To this day I'm sure (like 50/50) the version I saw in cinemas had it where Harvey had killed the Wayne's?!? Either that or I fell asleep? I'd bet on either. But this will always be the parent of the worst Batman film.

Interesting......maybe I'm the only one who don't feel anything in Nolan's Batman seires......even Nolan's......but I'm not saying that Nolan is not a good director,I totally love that story about thief which is actually very early work of him.I'm just saying that,any kind of superman story will be no attrctive to me,I can't be touched or find anything inside them by myself,even there's some who told me how to appreciate these kind of movies,I still feel nothing,may that situation will be changed a few years later.But,a but in but,Nolan's directing skill have my likes.
Ah,just said something completely not about the topic...but I typed so hard,don't wanna delete this...so I'll just ask a rondom question?You,the asker of this topic,what kind of thoughts you have about Batman?I mean this character.The reason I asked this will be,like what I've said,what's so interesting or facenating about Batman or any superhero?Tell me about it.

I thought it was alright when I first saw it, but I probably wasn't sober at the time. To this day I'm sure (like 50/50) the version I saw in cinemas had it where Harvey had killed the Wayne's?!? Either that or I fell asleep? I'd bet on either. But this will always be the parent of the worst Batman film.
You may be confusing parts of Forever (Harvey killed the Graysons) and Batman '89 (Joker killed the Waynes).

One thing I never liked about comic book movies was this obsession to tie the main villain directly into the hero's origin (when it was not so in the comics).

I kind of liked the concept the comics played with for a while that Batman didn't know who killed his parents (and even if it was "Joe Chill," that was just a name that could belong to or be used by anyone) - this drove his obsession as every criminal he hunted could be his parents' killer and every evil-doer represented the man who murdered his parents in Bruce's mind.

You may be confusing parts of Forever (Harvey killed the Graysons) and Batman '89 (Joker killed the Waynes).

One thing I never liked about comic book movies was this obsession to tie the main villain directly into the hero's origin (when it was not so in the comics).

I kind of liked the concept the comics played with for a while that Batman didn't know who killed his parents (and even if it was "Joe Chill," that was just a name that could belong to or be used by anyone) - this drove his obsession as every criminal he hunted could be his parents' killer and every evil-doer represented the man who murdered his parents in Bruce's mind.
Not confusing, that why it was so weird to me that they'd changed it from 89, then I caught it on vhs and it wasn't there. Must've been a weird dream.... but it felt so real lol
Bruce came to some realisation while talking to Chase that it was Harvey (which made no effing sense to me)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think the main problem with Batman Forever is that it concentrated a little too much on the villains, when it should have the two heroes more, and the camp was just taken up a bit too high of a notch.

Jim Carrey is always good, but he is given overall bad material to work with, and bad dialogue too, like when he explodes a grenade and yells out "joy-gasm", for example.

Not confusing, that why it was so weird to me that they'd changed it from 89, then I caught it on vhs and it wasn't there. Must've been a weird dream.... but it felt so real lol
Bruce came to some realisation while talking to Chase that it was Harvey (which made no effing sense to me)
I saw Forever in the theater - although the murder of the Waynes was briefly revisited, the identity of the killer was not referenced (not even the idea that it was "Jack Napier" from the first Batman film). Bruce (Val) does have some epiphany about the murder while talking to Chase - I do remember that, but don't remember what it was. (I know it wasn't that Harvey killed his parents.)

I'm trying to help you out here with where the confusion might have come from!

Harvey is behind the deaths of the Grayson family in the movie (thus Dick wants revenge) and Bruce draws parallels to both their tragedies, but Harvey is never named as the killer of Bruce's parents.

(Can't believe we're discussing plot points of a movie where bank safes filled with acid swing on a chain, then defy all laws of gravity as they magically slide right back into the spot in a building they were taken from after a multi-story free-fall, and the man locked inside is unscathed despite the sudden drop, the impact and the boiling acid that would have sloshed all over him when the safe turned horizontal again!)

I think the main problem with Batman Forever is that it concentrated a little too much on the villains, when it should have the two heroes more, and the camp was just taken up a bit too high of a notch.

Jim Carrey is always good, but he is given overall bad material to work with, and bad dialogue too, like when he explodes a grenade and yells out "joy-gasm", for example.
Or that super generic joke when he throws his boss from the window:
That was a nice jump,a little rough on the landing he might have to settle for bronze

I saw Forever in the theater - although the murder of the Waynes was briefly revisited, the identity of the killer was not referenced (not even the idea that it was "Jack Napier" from the first Batman film). Bruce (Val) does have some epiphany about the murder while talking to Chase - I do remember that, but don't remember what it was. (I know it wasn't that Harvey killed his parents.)

I'm trying to help you out here with where the confusion might have come from!

Harvey is behind the deaths of the Grayson family in the movie (thus Dick wants revenge) and Bruce draws parallels to both their tragedies, but Harvey is never named as the killer of Bruce's parents.

(Can't believe we're discussing plot points of a movie where bank safes filled with acid swing on a chain, then defy all laws of gravity as they magically slide right back into the spot in a building they were taken from after a multi-story free-fall, and the man locked inside is unscathed despite the sudden drop, the impact and the boiling acid that would have sloshed all over him when the safe turned horizontal again!)
I agree, i just did a rewatch and the bank safes do actually defy the gravity laws its just too much, my main gripe is, how can such a cast be in a bad film like this, the plot kills this film,and it overruns the set pieces which are really good in this film

Here's a question that's long been debated:
Is the bank guard (with the hearing aid) the same man as the guy at Edward Nigma's big coming out party who yells (in an extremely dorky fashion) "Batman! Yeeeah!!!" when Batman makes his entrance to stop Two Face's robbery and lands in a fountain?

Both are short bespectacled men and I maintain they are the same actor and supposed to be the same guy in the movie, but others disagree.

Anyone have a clue?

Is the bank guard (with the hearing aid) the same man as the guy at Edward Nigma's big coming out party who yells (in an extremely dorky fashion) "Batman! Yeeeah!!!" when Batman makes his entrance to stop Two Face's robbery and lands in a fountain?

Both are short bespectacled men and I maintain they are the same actor and supposed to be the same guy in the movie, but others disagree.

Anyone have a clue?
I haven t really noticed i might need to see that scene again to tell whether its him or not,
I like the design of gotham city in this film, would have preffered it was like this in the nolan trilogy, but i think it wouldnt fit, but in the next batman film i want to see a gotham city same as batman forever

Anyone have a clue?
I looked at the cast list (never realised Jon Favreau was in it!) And the bank guard actor is only credited as the bank guard, I'm gonna end up watching it again soon and blaming you for the experience

I looked at the cast list (never realised Jon Favreau was in it!) And the bank guard actor is only credited as the bank guard, I'm gonna end up watching it again soon and blaming you for the experience
LOL!
And IMDB is no help as it only lists "party guest" for the party guests - so there's no way to tell if the guard is the guy at the party. I always thought that after he's taken hostage by Two-Face and saved by Batman, he's in the news and becomes an instant celebrity, and THAT'S why he's at Nigma's party: because Nigma invited all the Gotham celebrities and big wigs to show up.

Here's the party scene:

Dick Grayson vs. The Neon Gang
Chris odonnell fitted the bill as a low profile circus acrobat and then being introduced as a sidekick