Your honest opinion of Batman Forever

Tools    

Honestly, I love this film!

In my opinion it is probably the best out of the original 4 batman films.

Val Kilmer was seriously underrated, and the villains were great. It was the second highest grossing Batman film out of the original 4 and adjusted for inflation it would be about $381 million in the United States beating out Batman Returns, and Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice.

I was nine years old at the time the film came out, and thought the advertising and merchandising with toys and video games were quite brilliant. I have a few toys on Amazon coming in the mail tomorrow which I am excited to get.

Does anyone have any toys of Batman Forever, or any toys from any of the films?

I loved the bright colors, and the set design. I also liked it that Batman actually seemed like a good decent guy who didn't kill a lot of people.

What do you fellas think?

As a kid and a huge Jim Carrey fan, I did enjoy it back then.
It aired on the telly couple of weeks ago, and while rewatching it I realised that it hasn't aged that well.

However, Drew Barrymore was a cutie in it.

It aired on the telly couple of weeks ago, and while rewatching it I realised that it hasn't aged that well.

Interesting.

They say that Jim Carrey was a huge reason that the film was a success.

I embraced the over the top performances, but many feel as you do.

Val Kilmer even admitted after Batman Begins and The Dark Knight came out that Batman Forever should have gone in that direction, but I don't feel that way.

How did you feel about the Tim Burton ones?

Interesting.

They say that Jim Carrey was a huge reason that the film was a success.

I embraced the over the top performances, but many feel as you do.

Val Kilmer even admitted after Batman Begins and The Dark Knight came out that Batman Forever should have gone in that direction, but I don't feel that way.

How did you feel about the Tim Burton ones?
Carrey has a huge overseas fanbase because of his nineties and early 2000 comedies. We grew up on movies like Mask, Ace Ventura and Dumb and dumber. Sure his best came in ESOTSM and Truman Show, but those comedies had a bigger impact and therefore explains the success. I thought he did a great job with Riddler.

I loved Burton's Batman movies. They were a bit comic like and in tiny parts even childish, but they were elevated by great villains. They were also nicely atmospheric.

I still think Keaton was the best Batman while Affleck was the best Bruce Wayne. Bale did great, but was helped by Nolan who added realism to the franchise and made them darker.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'm kind of split on it, cause I like Kilmer's Batman overall and his relationship with Robin, but I felt that the villains were weak. The actors do a good job, it was just the material and script they were given. I guess I just thought they were too over the top per say. But the movie is also well shot, and it is better compared to Batman Returns in my opinion.

Haven't watched it this millennium but suspect I'd have a similar reaction, hence wanting to leave it as a vaguely cherished childhood memory.

You could certainly argue its one of the more forgotten cultural events of the era, the media hype behind it was massive at the time. Beyond Carrey mania though I'd say part of that was the soundtrack, it was really the peak of the allstar blockbuster tie in there and that album does still get the odd listen from me.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I actually like it. I agree Val Kilmer did make a good Batman and Tommy Lee Jones really looked like he as having fun playing Two Face. Jim Carrey's Riddler...couldnt be any more perfect casting. Loved the martial arts action in it too. Kickboxing legend Don "The Dragon" Wilson played the Neon Gang leader (who faces off against Dick Grayson) and one of the Neon Gang members was actually played by the 1st runner up for the role of Robin, 90's martial arts action star Michael Worth. Liked how they added Mitch Gaylord to play Dick's brother and he was also Chris O'Donnell's gymnastic double. Fun film over all...and Nicole Kidman...nuff said *wink*

Haven't watched it this millennium but suspect I'd have a similar reaction, hence wanting to leave it as a vaguely cherished childhood memory.

You could certainly argue its one of the more forgotten cultural events of the era, the media hype behind it was massive at the time. Beyond Carrey mania though I'd say part of that was the soundtrack, it was really the peak of the allstar blockbuster tie in there and that album does still get the odd listen from me.

Oh damn, how did I forget that. MTV had just been launched in India, and that U2's song and Seal's Kiss from a rose would play on a loop. The Soundtrack was indeed good.

Forever seemed like it wanted to maintain only minimal aspects from the first two films, yet return the franchise to something reminiscent of the TV series (camp humor, bright colors, wacky villains, etc.)

I agree with the common criticism that Tommy Lee Jones didn't quite know what Two-Face was all about (or supposed to be about) or that he was given poor direction as he seemed to be playing the Joker with Two-Face make-up throughout the film.

It might have been a more interesting juxtaposition if "Harvey" was played straight: dark & serious (as in the comics & animated series) while teaming up with Carrey's manic and zany Riddler. It didn't really work with TWO guffawing villains laughing at their own puns.

This was one of my favorite Bat-suits EXCEPT for the nipples (of course) and ornate biological sculpting of the torso piece. The cowl was spot on and rivaled the one Keaton wore in Returns.

Everything in Gotham being neon or colorful glow-in-the-dark colors was bothersome, giving the overall move a cartoonish feel.

You could argue really Schumacher's two Batman films were the nadir of 90's camp blockbusters, I mean we get negative comments about Marvel being so self aware but they had nothing on this and its easy to see why LOTR and The Matrix took off he way they did as an alternative.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
It's like the Batman equivalent of where Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth stands in the Eva franchise. It's just in the middle of the road and it doesn't have much to recommend it to longtime fans of, or newcomers to, the franchise.

I had it on vhs back when i was 9 years old, 1995 was the year, i was watching every week, until the casette got torn out by mistake while taking it out, i love the soundtrack by Seal, however the movie is generic stuff but i liked the set pieces, and nicole kidman was the sexiest woman of the 90s

I love the second comment down from the top for this video: how the movie nailed Two Face for the first 44 seconds... then turned him into the Joker for the rest of the movie!

I do really like the sets and production design. How come a movie like The Dark Knight couldn't go for these kind of sets, or the more Burton-ish style of sets...

I do really like the sets and production design. How come a movie like The Dark Knight couldn't go for these kind of sets, or the more Burton-ish style of sets...
Cities that looked like neon stage sets would not have worked with the realism the Nolan films were trying to present.

Since Superman (78), I've felt a real city works best - the Nolan films weren't a real city, but looked real enough as not to appear as something out of a fantasy like the Gotham of the Burton films (what I called the black Emerald City) or the ultra-colorful realm of neon color & thousand foot statues in the Schumacher Batman (& Robin) films.

Oh okay, but I felt you could still have style and grittiness at the same time. Blade Runner for example, has a neon look, but still dark and gritty non the less.

I actually like it. I agree Val Kilmer did make a good Batman and Tommy Lee Jones really looked like he as having fun playing Two Face. Jim Carrey's Riddler...couldnt be any more perfect casting. Loved the martial arts action in it too. Kickboxing legend Don "The Dragon" Wilson played the Neon Gang leader (who faces off against Dick Grayson) and one of the Neon Gang members was actually played by the 1st runner up for the role of Robin, 90's martial arts action star Michael Worth. Liked how they added Mitch Gaylord to play Dick's brother and he was also Chris O'Donnell's gymnastic double. Fun film over all...and Nicole Kidman...nuff said *wink*
Wow that s some info,i didn t even know it was him, to the problem lies with the script and and not with the cast itself, the cast is amazing, and val kilmer is great as batman

I love the second comment down from the top for this video: how the movie nailed Two Face for the first 44 seconds... then turned him into the Joker for the rest of the movie!

I ve never seen nicole kidman as hot as this in any film, she s just a goddess here