Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Dumbo (2019)

Minorly enjoyable and thin wistful movie. TBH I didn't think this deserved a remake, it wasn't a strong Disney flik in the first place. The actors all do well but the fleshing out of something that has very little flesh to begin with makes it grey. I didn't realise Tim Burton directed this, there's no originality which is surprising.

Big Trouble (2002)

A delightful and zany romp set in Miami, directed by Barry Sonnenfeld from a book by Dave Barry, this screwball crime thriller stars Tim Allen, Rene Russo, Stanley Tucci, Tom Sizemore, Dennis Farina, along with a half dozen good wacky character portrayals.

Everyone gets into various forms of trouble, but yet finds love in the end. Although 17 years old, it delivers plenty of belly laughs, and clever dialogue. It's PG-13, and the film breezes along and winds up before you know it. Want a mood lifter? Watch this film.

Doc's rating: 8/10

Zero Days (Alex Gibney, 2016)
+
Bit of a hack documentary really

Sex and the Single Girl (1964)

I think I gave this the same rating you did...this movie's a mess and it goes on FOREVER!
They could've cut it down by 20 minutes. The car chase scene at the end is a good example.

They could've cut it down by 20 minutes. The car chase scene at the end is a good example.

That car chase was probably the stupidest car chase I have ever seen in a movie.

I Am Nicola (TV 2019) – 7.5/10

WARNING: spoilers below
I think the most affecting part about this was that the scenes of happiness between the couple, at least to me, appeared to be imagined fantasy. Visually they are equivalent to the state Nicola seems to enter once she forces herself to escape the relationship, in the real world.

I didn't think this was perfect – I'd have liked the music to be different; I thought that the dialogue might have been improvised and it seems this was the case. My concern was how much that was detectable and if it could occasionally become repetitive or, unusually, make the characters unnatural; I felt the relationships weren't as convincing as they could have been.

Vicky McClure was good to watch. Lots of subtle little switches of emotion. One of the best scenes was Nicola's cry for help to her friend, disguised as a pretence of romantic bliss, smashing into a wall of apathy. I thought Leanne Best was great in that part, in that for all the smiles there's an icy indifference there that makes Nicola's cold stare justifiable once the two have parted. As a Line of Duty fan it was interesting to see these two together again, and I'd liked Best a lot when I first saw her in that show.

I watched this because of Vicky McClure and it was good to see her in a different light (it did amuse me that Adam's office came over so much like Line of Duty's AC-12 headquarters). Her performance definitely got through to me in a profound way — I rarely dream any more and I had a fairly vivid one that night in which she had a role, possibly standing in for someone in my own life (you know how it works ).

Shadows: The Future Ghost (TV 1975) – 8/10

A nice little ghost story involving time travel. It's emotive in a way that reminds me of my favourite ghost story writer, A. M. Burrage.

Pet Sematary (2019)

+

I thought it was an above average horror remake that got better as it went along. It was never going to be as good as the first with the absence of Fred Gwynne, but it was a nice update with some fresh takes.

Welcome to the human race...
Spider-Man: Far From Home -

so this is basically superhero Nightcrawler

No Man's Law (Fred Jackman, 1927)
+
Definitely more cheap motel than Best Western

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Interesting how naive Snowden was in this movie: Guy goes to work in CIA, notices that they spy on people, and gets outraged about it and betrays them. At least it had the world's greatest living actor, Nicolas Cage, in it.

7/10

Did you see the documentary, "Citizen Four"?

Weekend re-watches:

This sexy and sophisticated romantic comedy is one of Eddie's best films and features one of his most charismatic performances, but has never gotten the attention it really deserves. Eddie lights up the screen like he never has and is backed by a delicious ensemble supporting cat.

This instant classic is just as riveting as it was 44 years after its release...I'm trying to think of something wrong with the film, but I'm drawing a blank. One of the most deserving Best Picture winners ever, though in a perfect world, Nicholson would have tied for Best Actor with Pacino for Dog day Afternoon. Perfectly cast right down to McMurphy's fellow inmates...how great was Christopher Lloyd was Tabor? A performance that doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. And the climactic confrontation between McMurphy and Nurse Ratched (Oscar winner Louise Fletcher) still makes me stand up and cheer.

Excellent movie. John David Washington, though nothing like his father, is a very good actor.

So good. This guy is nuts, but I was on the edge of my seat throughout his climb.

Le Notti di Cabiria (1957, Federico Fellini)

Giulietta Masina is absolutely radiant here and brimming with comedic (as well as dramatic) genius - aided by her husband's flawless direction, she carries this film brilliantly. Such a charismatic, magnetizing performance throughout, building up to that devastating ending - one of the best in cinema history.
Masterpiece!