TokeZa's Top 100 Movies through Space and Time

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This thread.

Cures cancer.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

20-16.

Bicycle Thieves and Eraserhead are great films. I liked Cries and Whispers - watched it recently, did a MoFo podcast on it - but need to watch it again.

15-11

Aguirre: The Wrath of God is great. Santa Sangre looks like something I would love as I loved El Topo, I also have The Holy Mountain on DVD. Tokyo Story is probably the most acclaimed film that I still haven't seen too.

10-6

Caché is great. The Man With A Movie Camera is good and undoubtedly an important film but I didn't love it like you. Ordet I thought was very good.

5-1

Werckmeister Harmonies, Persona and Mirror are brilliant films. The Passion of Joan of Arc I feel the same as The Man With A Movie Camera.

----

For all the films that I haven't seen, they are all already on my watch list. Not seen any Bresson, Kiarostami or Ray yet, although I have the Apu trilogy all recorded (I think I actually recorded them as I knew you were a huge fan, not seen much discussion on them otherwise).

Great list that I am glad to see you finish. Every film that I haven't seen is one that I am interested in, honestly

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes. It's a great, personal list.
Would it kill you to put a non-foreign film in the top 10? Sheesh.
But really, this list is (as the kids would say) sick, dude.
The top 20 has only two English-language films, both are "dreams", one's almost dialogue-less and the other has a cast that mostly speaks English as a second language.

well seeing as Tok comes from Denmark then an Engish speaking film would be another foreign film

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
- Same goes for Santa Sangre
TokeZa said that before he joined the art house mafia, he only watched horror films, and I think that this list definitely shows that his roots are in horror, with Santa Sangre and Eraserhead's placements

- The Passion of Joan of Arc is a perfect film.
Absolutely. Great list Toke!

Excellent list Tokeza. Three of the movies in your top 10 are either in or close to my own top 10 - Persona, Close-Up and The World of Apu.

That's epitome of cool: 10 non-English movies in your top 10. I had 8 once though now I have 7. Still, I think that in 10 years it will be back to mostly English films, since my days of watching those cult non-English films are over now.

Some very brief comments:

- I'm surprised that Visitors of a Museum is so high on the list but great film nonetheless.

- Same goes for Santa Sangre

- Very nice to see Apur Sansar as your top choice for Ray. I too would pick that for my top 100.

- The Passion of Joan of Arc is a perfect film.
Im actually a bit surpised that Visitor of a Museum and Santa Sangre isnt higher. Both film left me astounded when i saw them the first time and they are still holding up.

In general i would say that both of these movies have been very important in the process of being a more adept movie watcher. Each film represents a genre of film that i love, Sci-fi and Horror, but imo they are not confined to that genre if you can say that. What i mean is that i dont see them as a purely genre film. In some way both of them got me more involved in cinema as such.

Also we screened Santa Sangre back in 2010 at our underground music and arts festival called A Scream in the Dark. Which was comprised of lectures, film screenings and mostly post-punk and noise music. So Santa Sangre has a very special place in my heart. It was also on my number one spot for the 80's list.

The Passion of Joan of Arc is a perfect film, cant disagree there

Actually im really happy that i managed to finish this list. I wouldnt have thought so in the winter when i had a lot of family stuff to attend to. I would also say that it was the plan to say something about each film, even if it was just a line or two, but english is hard for me and it takes a long time, just to write a simple thing or two. Perhaps another time

Last thing is that there are a lot of films i have forgotten, omitted or havent seen until of late. Here is a shortlist of some the more important stuff if youre interested.

The Koker Trilogy by Abbas Kiarostami
1) Where Is The Friend's Home? (1987)
2) Life and Nothing More... (1992)
3) Through the Olive Trees (1994)

Trilogy of Faith by Ingmar Bergman
4) Through a Glass Darkly (1961)
5) Winter Light (1962)
6) The Silence (1963)

The Dollars Trilogy by Sergio Leone
7) A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
8) For a Few Dollars More (1965)
9) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

10) Sátántangó (1994) by Béla Tarr
11) A Brighter Summer Day (1991) by Edward Yang
12) Shoah (1985) by Claude Lanzmann
13) Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010) by Apichatpong Weerasethakul
14) Twentynine Palms (2003) by Bruno Dumont
15) Yi Yi: A One and a Two (2000) by Edward Yang
16) Gertrud (1964) by Carl Theodor Dreyer
17) I Am Cuba (1964) by Mikhail Kalatozov
18) Histoire(s) du cinéma (1988-1998) by Jean-Luc Godard
19) Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975) by Chantal Akerman
20) Memorias del subdesarrollo (1968) by Tomás Gutiérrez Alea

21) Solaris (1972) by Andrei Tarkovsky
22) Stranger by the Lake (2013) by Alain Guiraudie
23) Last Year at Marienbad (1961) by Alain Resnais
24) Nostalghia (1983) by Andrei Tarkovsky
25) Tropical Malady (2004) by Apichatpong Weerasethakul

99. The Night of the Hunter (1955) by Charles Laughton

The Night of the Hunter has a haunting imagery with connotations from expressionism. I saw it for the first time this year at one of our movie club nights and it immediatly entered my top 20 horror movies.
I was curious if you ever saw the television remake of Night of the Hunter with Richard Chamberlain?

I know it's an old thread, but what a great list!!!
Thx a lot.

Yeah, its quite old and i should probably make a new one. Though it probably wont happen in the near future as im in the proces of writing a project on the social psychiatric living institution in Copenhagen.

Have you made a top list? I would be very interested in seeing it.

“I was cured, all right!”
Thx a lot.

Yeah, its quite old and i should probably make a new one. Though it probably wont happen in the near future as im in the proces of writing a project on the social psychiatric living institution in Copenhagen.
-That's great, good luck in your project

Have you made a top list? I would be very interested in seeing it.

-Not yet, I'll be writting in near future!