The Passion of the Christ

Tools    

Originally Posted by Sedai
Paranoid much?

Where is Minion... I want a pic of Mel 'the Antichrist' Gibson… playing a flute of course…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn

Where is Minion... I want a pic of Mel 'the Antichrist' Gibson… playing a flute of course…
Mel "the Antichrist' Gibson? I'm not sure I understand. Please elaborate. Or not, your choice, but I am a bit confused on why he calls him the Antichrist.
And found he was eating his shoe.

A system of cells interlinked
Someone had called him the antichrist in their post. I was attempting to make a funny

I don't actually consider Mel Gibson to be the Antichrist

_S

Who or what is the Antichrist?

Mel Gibson has specifically said he was brought up a devout Catholic and he has expressed his love for Christ through this film. He as probally given his biggest confession through this film.

I saw how he talked about his addictions and how he wanted to give the facts as to Christs last life. I don't think he wanted to portray anything negative about his religion.

Passion's not out over here yet (March 26th), but we're already having uncountable numbers of priests requesting free/discounted tickets for their entire parish to see it before anyone else does (of course, we refuse, so they pay like everyone else does - ensuring that it'll get close to the same gross over here, despite England's puny population!).

The Easter holidays shall be interesting at UCI, it seems...

Sparky xXx

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by Yoda
Even if the film ends up with double its current take here, it still won't crack the top 35.
I am aware it is not "YOUR" prediction but thats what the numbers suggested at the time....I believe, as you describe it

Originally Posted by Mako Eyes
Passion's not out over here [ENGLAND] yet (March 26th).

I thought this would be an interesting follow up. - Currently (March 10th, 2004) the numbers stand at $218.893 Mill; Ranking it as 42nd all time grossing film.The Beverly Hills Cop which is ranked 35th is ($234.760M)
and by taking Mako Eyes' word for it, has yet to be released in England, A mere 16 Mill margin hardly seems a momumental feat.

So Yoda, if you stay true to the number model, I'd like to bring up the "intresting bet" I mentioned earlier.... seeing we don't know each other in real life, I suppose the only currency are these reputation points. Therefore I purpose that The Passion will smash into the top 15, beating out STAR WARS 6 ($309.205M) over a friendly wager of a reputation point. Anyone else who would want to take me up on this bet is welcomed.............BONZAIIIIIII!!!

source: http://movieweb.com/movies/box_office/alltime.php

Originally Posted by kaisersoze
I am aware it is not "YOUR" prediction but thats what the numbers suggested at the time....I believe, as you describe it
A great many movies have opening weekends which "suggest" astronomical numbers...but many suffer major dropoffs at one point or another. All I was saying is that it's easy to, in the midst of some broken record, start proclaiming that Film X will smash every record in existence. Let's face it: a lot of people got caught up in the moment over a successful film that they found very moving, and made predictions based on that.

I thought this would be an interesting follow up. - Currently (March 10th, 2004) the numbers stand at $218.893 Mill; Ranking it as 42nd all time grossing film.The Beverly Hills Cop which is ranked 35th is ($234.760M)
and by taking Mako Eyes' word for it, has yet to be released in England, A mere 16 Mill margin hardly seems a momumental feat.
The $218 million is domestic (Canada and the US), as is Beverly Hills Cop's gross. Therefore, whatever it makes in England won't be added to that total.

That said, I didn't say it wouldn't crack the top 35 domestically; just that it had a long way to go. At this pace, it surely will.

So Yoda, if you stay true to the number model, I'd like to bring up the "intresting bet" I mentioned earlier.... seeing we don't know each other in real life, I suppose the only currency are these reputation points. Therefore I purpose that The Passion will smash into the top 15, beating out STAR WARS 6 ($309.205M) over a friendly wager of a reputation point. Anyone else who would want to take me up on this bet is welcomed.............BONZAIIIIIII!!!

source: http://movieweb.com/movies/box_office/alltime.php
Hmm, $309 million, eh? I think it'll be rather close. But okay, I'll take that bet.

Originally Posted by 7thson
The pattern seems to be close to Spiderman's..

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/vs-passion.htm
I don't think so; notice that The Passion of the Christ was released on a Wednesday, and Spider-Man on a Friday...so you can't compare the numbers that line up in the table. You've got to give Spidey two more days to even things out at 13 apiece...and when you do, the webslinger had hauled in almost $20 million more in the same period of time as Passion has.

Regardless, lots of films have high trajectories early on. Heck, Daredevil's opening weekend was only about $6 million short of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, but it ended up taking in less than a third of what FOTR did. In other words, it's not just performance, but performance over time. It's a combination of bursts as well as longevity.

I'm thinking it'll finish with around $300 million at this point.

Of course you are right about the two days and by no means do I think the Passion, at least in the short term, will it overtake or even match it. I do think it will come close though. I tried to find other movies that were blockbusters that were about the same level as the Passion is right now, and the closest I could find was Spiderman.

I forgot to add another thought also, I do not think the early release date makes much of a difference in the long run for most movies. If people are going to see it, then they are going to see it be it Weds or Sat.

More thoughts: Do you think it will be the #1 R rated movie of all time? It only has to beat:

1. Matrix Reloaded...281,576,000
2. Beverly Hills Cop...234,760,000
3. The Exhorcist...223,720,000

I have a feeling it will easily make it.

Originally Posted by 7thson
More thoughts: Do you think it will be the #1 R rated movie of all time? It only has to beat:

1. Matrix Reloaded...281,576,000
2. Beverly Hills Cop...234,760,000
3. The Exhorcist...223,720,000

I have a feeling it will easily make it.
I don't know, but I hope so. Reloaded being the best of anything bugs the hell out of me.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I'm watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and he just said that The Passion of the Christ has become the highest grossing 'R' rated film of all time.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I'm watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and he just said that The Passion of the Christ has become the highest grossing 'R' rated film of all time.
That doesn't surprise me at all, and I haven't even seen the damn thing yet.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I love this show and your right
"highest grossing R rated film without the showing of TEAT" said Jon.

Originally Posted by jamesglewisf
I saw that. It's pretty amazing.

I wonder if it will sustain it the second weekend. I know a lot of people who decided to postpone seeing it this weekend just to avoid the lines.
It did, and expect it to keep it up, ecspecially with Easter just around the corner.

32 million on it's 3rd weekend, pretty amazing for an R rated 30 million dollar budget film if you ask me. Maybe it will beat spiderman? Certainly it will break the top 10 of all time, has to beat Forrest Gump at 329,000,00 to do that.

It's no wonder this film is grossing so high, after all the hype, everyone, who considers themselves to be Christian, would feel compelled to view The Passion at least once, if only to show their devotion.
What bothers me, is that this film is being sold as a religious experience, showing the cinemagoer the events, as described in the gospels - can someone tell me where it says that Jesus reattached a guard's ear, I don't seem to remember - and not just Mel Gibson's interpretation thereof.

Btw., I really like the merchandise - all in such good taste.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

Originally Posted by bluebottle
It's no wonder this film is grossing so high, after all the hype, everyone, who considers themselves to be Christian, would feel compelled to view The Passion at least once, if only to show their devotion.
I don't think so. The film is making far too much money to be drawing on devout Christians alone. It's clearly made its way to the American mainstream, most of which is Christian, but often casually so, in some ways.

What bothers me, is that this film is being sold as a religious experience, showing the cinemagoer the events, as described in the gospels - can someone tell me where it says that Jesus reattached a guard's ear, I don't seem to remember - and not just Mel Gibson's interpretation thereof.
I recall hearing it in various stories when I was younger, but cannot find it in The Bible. However, it does not bother me in the least that the film is being solid as a "religious experience," because, well, it is (among other things, naturally). I'd be with you only if it were being promoted as a direct translation of The Bible; which it isn't. It's being hailed as very accurate to the source text, and it is, but it's not word-for-word, and I don't think it's pretending to be, either.

Btw., I really like the merchandise - all in such good taste.
Whoever approved of that wasn't thinking clearly at the time. Unless the money's going to a charity of some sort, in which case it's a fine idea.