The State of Netflix

Tools    

Netlfix is not worthing anymore, they can do whatever they want.

Still a great value for me, but then, I'm there for the shows as much as the movies. I think the big divide on value is twofold:

1) Do you find a decent number of shows vs. just movies, since a show you like can last you awhile.

2) Do you get Netflix with the expectation that you'll find lots of mainstream releases you've already heard of, instead of being content to "discover" things with it.

Anyway, I started this thread just under two years ago, so I might as well update the list I posted of shows I really liked:

When I actually sit down and list the ones I would, for example, definitely watch at least another season of if and when it comes out, I realized the list had gotten pretty long:
  • House of Cards
  • Santa Clarita Diet
  • Ozark
  • BoJack Horseman
  • Stranger Things
  • Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return
  • Black Mirror
  • Daredevil
  • Dark
  • Altered Carbon
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • GLOW
  • Mindhunter
  • The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale
  • The Standups
  • Tabula Rasa
  • Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
  • The Keepers
  • Making a Murderer
The ones crossed out have either ended or being canceled (or in some cases, just indefinitely on hold, bordering on functional cancelation). And there's a few I'm not that interested in now. Went from 20 to basically half that, or less. Granted, some new stuff on the way to compensate (Locke and Key, for one), and some of the exclusive movies over the last year have been very good (The Irishman), but fair to say the number of great series on it is ebbing a bit from that high point.

Still, for < $14 a month it continues to be a no-brainer, for the amount I use it.

Vinyl is coming back because it sounds better than a recording you can get on a disc. DVD's are discs too. They'll disappear just like VHS. DVD's are worth less than a dollar at most garage sales these days, that's really all I need to know. DVD's and CD's were always going to be a temporary medium until the next thing. But hey, keep buying them if'n ya want. They are literally not worth the plastic they are made from.

I hope streaming continues to grow honestly. It seems to me you can find almost any show movie or what have you online today if you look long enough. I think streaming online is a better option than another option after DVD's, personally.
Actually the quality differences of physical media for film compared to streaming are MUCH clearer than for Vinyl vs CD's or streaming. You look at UHD BR's for example and the bitrate of those releases is often 4-5 times higher than typical streaming, indeed the bitrate of HD BR's is significantly higher than UHD streaming let alone HD streaming.

The result is most noticeble in darker scenes/sections of the frame were streaming is a lot more prone to artefacts like banding which you don't need to be a videophile to spot.

I still collect DVDs, and may do so until the medium is virtually gone. There's nothing more permanent to me than owning that as a physical copy, where as with streaming services, it could go at any moment despite all the money and time paid into it.

That's true for purchasing digital copies, yeah, though I think of that differently than I do purchasing monthly subscriptions for streaming. Netflix doesn't do the former, at least not yet.

DVD's and CD's were always going to be a temporary medium until the next thing. But hey, keep buying them if'n ya want. They are literally not worth the plastic they are made from.
To me, my dvd collection is priceless & I intend to keep adding to it.

You ready? You look ready.
I only buy one month of Netflix a year, and usually I don’t pay anything because it’s a free trial.

I abhor Netflix and their politics.

I must admit I've grown to live Netflix recently since the lockdown began. There is certainly a lot of crap on there but a few gems too.

Oh wow, I did t know they still did that! How much does it cost for the dvds?
I use to have 1 DVD at a time plan and it was like $8 a month. For a few dollars more you can have 2 DVDs or even 3 DVDs out at one time. The good thing about the DVD plan is they have a LOT of movie titles that aren't available through their streaming plan. Assuming you're in the USA. Outside of the USA I don't think they have the DVD in the mail option. It's a subsidiary of Neflix called DVD.Com

Is Neflix's DVD.Com still offering their DVDs in the mail service? I would think with Covid-19 that service might have been put on hold.
Strangely enough, my DVDs are arriving sooner these days.

The good thing about the DVD plan is they have a LOT of movie titles that aren't available through their streaming plan.
Very true. I have 112 movies in my queue & I doubt there are more than 1 or 2 that can be streamed.

Vinyl is coming back because it sounds better than a recording you can get on a disc. DVD's are discs too. They'll disappear just like VHS. DVD's are worth less than a dollar at most garage sales these days, that's really all I need to know. DVD's and CD's were always going to be a temporary medium until the next thing. But hey, keep buying them if'n ya want. They are literally not worth the plastic they are made from.

I hope streaming continues to grow honestly. It seems to me you can find almost any show movie or what have you online today if you look long enough. I think streaming online is a better option than another option after DVD's, personally.

I repped this cuz I though it was a pretty good post. . This is my post from page 2. Word for word!