The State of Netflix

Tools    

That it's okay to mock sensitive people for no good reason? Between that and

I'd say you're doing a pretty good job of being wrong.

Context?

Tell me about all this huge last Jedi fandom that manifested itself recently.

I stand by Bright dominating Last Jedi.

Welcome to the human race...
Even after taking into account how it divided opinions, Last Jedi fandom is part of the Star Wars fandom, one of the largest (if not the largest) fandoms in existence. Does Bright even have a fandom?

Even after taking into account how it divided opinions, Last Jedi fandom is part of the Star Wars fandom, one of the largest (if not the largest) fandoms in existence. Does Bright even have a fandom?
So you accused me and gave no context to said accusation.

Bright is okay. Last jedi is pretty much cancer on Star Wars. Bright reached it's objective, Last jedi did not.

As a movie Bright owns TLJ.

These aren't super productive "arguments." If you wanna argue a case, cool, but just "this sucks" or "this owns" and "no it doesn't" are pointless responses.

By way of actually trying to advance a substantive discussion here: I think some of this is clearly hyperbole based on severe TLJ disappointment, because it's pretty tough to make a serious case that it isn't the superior film technically, at least.

The complaints about TLJ seem a lot saner and more reasonable when they bother to parse the things they disliked about it, as opposed to pretending its cinematography wasn't gorgeous because Luke wouldn't do such-and-such, even though they have no relationship to one another.

Also, let's not turn this into a TLJ thread. If you must discuss that (and what's happening so far sure isn't a discussion), there's a thread for it. Go right ahead, though only if you plan to expound a bit on the topic.

I thought the context was obvious - based on comments in this thread, you apparently think that trigger warnings, a concept rooted in acknowledging other people's mental health issues, is something that's trivial at best and deserving of mockery at worst simply for no other reason that you are apparently aggrieved by "virtue signaling" (as implied by how you think "vice signaling" is a good thing). This suggests the kind of regressive social attitudes that should be left in the past, hence why I think that, yes, history's most likely going to prove you wrong on that front.

Bright is a hacky Alien Nation knock-off where the only objective seems to be producing a glorified B-movie about high fantasy buddy cops with some half-assed racism metaphor to give it the slightest illusion of depth - and it couldn't even get that right. Even if you believe Netflix saying it was popular (and there is good reason to question the legitimacy of their numbers), it's almost completely forgotten by now anyway - think this thread getting bumped is the first time I've even thought about it in six months. Last Jedi's objective is to do right by Star Wars as a whole while also trying to break new ground, and while it's not a perfect film, I'd say it succeeded at that objective.

I thought the context was obvious - based on comments in this thread, you apparently think that trigger warnings, a concept rooted in acknowledging other people's mental health issues, is something that's trivial at best and deserving of mockery at worst simply for no other reason that you are apparently aggrieved by "virtue signaling" (as implied by how you think "vice signaling" is a good thing). This suggests the kind of regressive social attitudes that should be left in the past, hence why I think that, yes, history's most likely going to prove you wrong on that front.
He specifically said he thought it was mocking people who misuse the term. You can believe that or not, but there's really no point to arguments based on just assuming someone's position is different than the one they're actually articulating. That makes easy shooting of anything.

Maybe so. That part still came later and reads like backpedaling after calling it a "good look", bringing up "Disney Star Wars" in what might just be a non sequitur but also reads as some kind of deliberate counterexample to prove that point, and complaining about "whiners worshipping sacred cows" - and then after I questioned the "maybe it's mocking misuse" line, they said "I see nothing wrong with it". If I'm assuming their position from any of this, it's only because of a serious lack of articulation.

I think we've had this exact conversation before, with the same ending (some variant of "what am I supposed to assume if they don't articulate more?"). So I'll give the same response: you don't actually have to assume anything. Least of all something explicitly at odds with one of the things said earlier.

This is as much an appeal to self-interest and efficacy as anything. This kind of logic rebounds badly, because it's the same thought process that theoretically allows someone to dismiss any thoughtful thing you might come up with as "virtue signaling." It's just a lose-lose posture. It's venting disguised as argument.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I just don't like to suffer this kind of foolishness, especially when it escalates into something absurd like defending Bright, but you make a good point about self-interest and efficacy. It's not like this is an effective use of my time anyway.

(still, who even repped them for that post)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
(still, who even repped them for that post)
Hmm, anti-Last Jedi? I wonder who.....

Suspect's Reviews

He would be one of the usual suspects (sorry).
It was Satan.

Netflix revenues in 2018: 15,794 million dollars
North American box office revenues in 2018: 11,892 million dollars

Given it's growth rate in a few years Netflix will be larger than the entire global film industry's box office (which is around 40 billion dollars). Is it surprising it is producing a lot of content? They are even helping to produce even a ton of anime shows.

https://infographic.statista.com/nor..._content_n.jpg

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
JRE is one I listen to by the end of the week after I run through my regulars. Even then, I prefer the comedian ones (that Alex Jones megacast...)

Either Schulz was high/drunk/or had a massive bone for Joe, because he sounded like an idiot. Sounded like barmouth. He had no clue what he was talking about. Said the sitcom is dead. Talking about Netflix like it's only based on an income statement. As if Amazon...

He basically said YouTube was gonna be the end-all in light
of it almost being a completely different bird than Netflix.

I was in the car a lot this weekend or I wouldn't have listened to as much as I did.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Heard some other good thoughts about the "state of streaming" discussion.

Netflix has years and years of data mined from its base. When belt-tightening happens, they will be better prepared to zero in on the most profitable content to create. Also, they retain rights to a lot of content until the shows are cancelled. Until Grey's Anatomy is over (and how many other comps), it's on Netflix .

Disney+ is a lock because of the catalogue, but the real beast will be their bundle. How much will the Hulu/espn+/Disney+ bundle cost and when?

I can't wait. I know I don't need Disney, get espn content free on the internet and barely watch Netflix. Younger people (broad stroke here) watch youtube. How big of a bite is really there for Disney+, short of families?