The State of Netflix

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
wait.
you mean to tell me that we do NOT have a Stanley Tucci emoji for just such a response!?

#

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You think that was their game with the ST Volumes 1 and 2 breaks? To see what happens with that approach? HBO still does it and I was fine watching *turns my head to the side to hide my forming tear* ...Raised by Wolves, one weird episode per week. GoT obviously held everyone's attention, especially for how long and deliberate that approaching two-season train came to that stack of pennies on the rail.

Yeah, i'd probably be upset at first to no longer be able to binge something but holy cow at the productivity I'd gain back!
They did that for two reasons, the Emmy deadline is May 31st so they can submit Stranger Things for 2022 and 2023 (which should tell you that Season 5 isn't coming until after May 31st 2023).

The second reason is they want something to sell and promote every month

January - Ozark
February - Vikings
March - Bridgerton
April - Ozark
May - Stranger Things
June - Umbrella Academy
July - Stranger Things
August - Sandman
September - Cobra Kai
October - Wednesday/Midnight Club
November - The Crown
December - Oscar Movies

I dunno, that's become pretty standard for hit series' that are winding down: a super-sized season if taken as one, but broken into two. Breaking Bad did it, Better Call Saul did it, Ozark did it. There are some advantages.
Turns out that Yellowstone is gonna do this for season 5. Split into two 7 episode parts, which means the season will have 4 more episodes than other seasons. They’re cagey about whether this is the final season or not though one might expect it to be if only due to the split season.

I dunno, that's become pretty standard for hit series' that are winding down: a super-sized season if taken as one, but broken into two. Breaking Bad did it, Better Call Saul did it, Ozark did it. There are some advantages.
Unless you are Game Of Thrones and just want to end it quickly because you have nothing left to adapt lol

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Movie Forums Extra
Can't remember the last time I actually watched a great movie on Netflix

Ads are officially coming to Netflix
Really? Ugh! That's going to further erode their subscriber base...Unless they go to a basic service that's free and make their money off ads. Now that could work.

The trick is not minding
Really? Ugh! That's going to further erode their subscriber base...Unless they go to a basic service that's free and make their money off ads. Now that could work.
Yeah, not sure if the details but I’m sure plenty will not be happy over it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Feel like this belongs in The Sandman thread, but not really related to it....

People have lamented that a show they like will be cancelled by Netflix. Was anyone upset about Resident Evil or Altered Carbon. Well, one person was. What gets renewed and what doesn't is a big mystery. Obviously hours watched are part of the metric, but what else.

How is Umbrella Academy getting a 4th season? I liked the first season. Loved it actually. Just never got around to watching more. There aren't a lot of discussions about it or articles on entertainment sites. By the looks of it, it can't be cheap. Yet here we are, heading into season 4.

well there are many other options except Netflix to watch movies. lol

I don't know but I recently got netflix and half the time it don't even wanna work. I watch one film and the next one will be "loading" forever but not play and it doesn't make a difference if I turn my device of for 3 minutes. It will just work again when it wants to. I DONT think I'll be renewing for another month, sick of the shit.

Also absolutely detest how their default for foreign language films is English dubs and not subtitles, pathetic.

Also absolutely detest how their default for foreign language films is English dubs and not subtitles, pathetic.
I’ve been with Netflix for many years & have never watched a foreign movie that’s dubbed only.

The creators of Netflix genre series including The Haunting Of Hill House and Midnight Mass have signed an exclusive series-production deal with Amazon Studios. In the multiyear overall series deal, Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy will develop and produce projects via their Intrepid Pictures banner will exclusively stream on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide.

“Mike and Trevor are remarkable at telling immersive, suspenseful stories that masterfully keep audiences engaged from start to finish,” Vernon Sanders, head of global television at Amazon Studios, said in a statement. “We are excited to welcome them to Amazon Studios and are looking forward to our global customers experiencing their genre-bending creativity.”

“Amazon is a studio that we have long admired. Their commitment to engaging in groundbreaking series and content aligns with the ethos of what we have built at Intrepid. We are looking forward to working with the entire Amazon team as we bring our brand of genre productions to the service and audiences around the globe,” Flanagan and Macy said in the statement.

Netflix keeps taking L's this is the biggest loss since The Office. Flannigan was a consistent producer for Netflix and Ryan Murphy and Shonda Rhimes are well woefully inferior