Why do you pirate movies/TV shows?

Tools    

Kids feeling like outsiders isn't something you can fix by torrenting movies. They always exclude each other for dumb things, and they would even if we lived in some egalitarian paradise.
Yeah so let's give them another reason, why not right? Gotta protect those imaginary profits.

The problem is you keep making arguments that you then turn around and admit your belief doesn't hinge on. So you say it's not wrong because some people can't afford it...but it's still okay even if they can. Then you say it's not wrong because they might not enjoy the film...but it's still okay even if they do. So, by your own admission, these things are ancillary to the topic.
No, I am simply giving you plenty of reasons.
We have moral reason (fighting cultural exclusion)
and other reasons I listed. Not a single one is the one and only, for me it is a little bit of all.

But he doesn't demand it. And that alone means the two situations are not comparable. Whether or not you take it with their permission, or without it, is the important part.
Okay, let them demand it. Times have changed and they are not the sole gatekeeper like in times before, I think someone should tell the old geezers that you either adapt or die.

Right, but it's your opinion that you should be allowed to unilaterally decide whether or not to pay for this stuff.
Not for "Stuff" but for music/movies etc. Yes. You are right, it is my opinion. Actors do not have to live like kings, if industry would actually learned a bit humility I would not shed a single tear. But they will not, wanna know why? Because they keep earning more and more money, because they are like people screaming "famine" despite entire trucks of cake comming their way.

Again, you're not really replying to the point here: the level of profits directly correlates to the size of the industry. This is easily demonstrated with a thought experiment: if the film industry made $100 a year, total, they wouldn't be able to make many films (or many films with high production values), right? But if they made $10 million, they would make more, and more expensive ones. And if they made $100 million, you'd see even more movies greenlit, and with higher budgets, and riskier films would get made, too.

In all three of these examples, the industry is making "a profit." In two of them, it's making a large profit. But you're getting far more films, with far larger budgets, and a wider variety of films, the higher you go. And the more films made, and the larger their budgets, the more ordinary people the industry sustains, too, since the overwhelming majority of people involved are not superstar actors or studio heads.

You just said "being poor is a gradient." So are profits. Just as your income affects your consumption, movie industry profits affect what gets made, and for how much. There's no big glowing line that says "REALLY RICH" beyond which they stop making more (or bigger, or weirder) films.
Look Yoda, I am not saying "let's all download movies, down with the man, burn them, burn them all buhahahaha" I have bought plenty of movies so it would be rather stupid of me. But when I have to choose what is of greater value to me "another (theoretical, remember that) million for the company that is growing anyway" or piracy... I choose piracy, I am simply saying that if I was somehow a god and could just get rid of piracy with one move of my magic wand, I would not do it.

This is a straw man. I'm not saying you should be enraged. I'm just saying I don't think these ethical justifications hold water.
Well I think they do.
With all due respect this is going nowhere, you will not budge and trust me, I will not either. We just have to agree to disagree.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yeah pretty much my thoughts, Yods. I'm not innocent by any means. I've watched pirated copies of aussie movies I cant get here. There's one that will never be released here due to a legal battle. You guys got it so a friend nicked it for me. My own brother had to get a friend to nick it and he made the bloody thing.

I do it for a variety of reasons.

For music, I'm old fashioned, like my classic rock... yet 99% of it I've already owned on 8-track, cassette, album then CD (Yes, like my AC/DC I've owned across multiple media sources meaning I've paid for the same album up to 4 times before, not counting replacing broken tapes or scratched CD's.) then digital comes out. now as far as I'm concerned I've already paid for the music, so I'm just downloading a copy to load on my phone/tablet.

For TV, someone already pointed out not paying a cable bill for 12 hours of content a year. same boat. Love walking dead, not paying for cable and a channel package to get AMC for one tv show that's off more than on. So I watch it streaming weekly (When it's on) there's no option to "Wait for the disk" as the day after an eventful show 99% of it is spoiled across every bit of social media I use, And I can post a pic right now of seasons 1-6 of Walking Dead on Blu-Ray I bought when available. so I "pirate" it, but still pay.

For movies, If it's something I like, I'll see it in the theater when possible, then download a copy to squeeze in a rewatch until the blu-ray comes out. I have a neurological condition so sometimes a night at the theater isn't in the cards, in that case, I'll watch it online just to be able to discuss it with all the other first weekenders, With the intention of hopefully seeing it in the theater, and if not, getting the blu-ray.

If it's something I wasn't interested in seeing but people tell me I HAVE to see it, I'll try it out online.if I like it, I'll buy the blu-ray. So right there, they made money from piracy. I didn't see it in the theater, and wouldn't have bought it on blu-ray without seeing it first, but because I DID watch it online, they sold a disk they wouldn't have sold otherwise.

There's also grabbing a digital copy of something I've already bought on VHS/DVD and just want a portable copy for my tablet or phone for whatever reason. Not everything has a UV code, and if I've already paid for the movie on a different format I see no issue with grabbing a digital copy for my own use. the argument that I should just buy it again on digital if that's what I want holds no water with me as I've already paid for the film sometimes, like music, on multiple formats and them wanting another sale of the same title is just their greed.

Yeah so let's give them another reason, why not right?
I dunno if we had very different childhoods, but I don't think it really works this way. Being excluded is kind of binary: you're not double excluded if you wear secondhand clothes and haven't seen Hidden Figures.

No, I am simply giving you plenty of reasons.
We have moral reason (fighting cultural exclusion)
and other reasons I listed. Not a single one is the one and only, for me it is a little bit of all.
They're not really "reasons" if removing them doesn't change your mind. Your "reason" for believing something is whatever that belief actually hinges on.

Look Yoda, I am not saying "let's all download movies, down with the man, burn them, burn them all buhahahaha" I have bought plenty of movies so it would be rather stupid of me. But when I have to choose what is of greater value to me "another (theoretical, remember that) million for the company that is growing anyway" or piracy... I choose piracy, I am simply saying that if I was somehow a god and could just get rid of piracy with one move of my magic wand, I would not do it.
But it's not just "another million for the company that is growing anyway." As I keep explaining, that million is a million that doesn't go into making movies. It doesn't get shoved into a mattress.

I don't know how much money is lost to piracy, but whatever that number is, it's leading to a) fewer films, b) lower budgets, and c) safer, more conventional films. Because when industries make larger profits, they expand production and take more risks. So the effect isn't that Michael Wright doesn't get a fourth swimming pool: it's that we get fewer films, made for less, that take fewer chances.

With all due respect this is going nowhere, you will not budge and trust me, I will not either. We just have to agree to disagree.
I don't know if I can agree to that.

I kid. But seriously, I don't know if we've reached a genuine impasse here, because what you're saying seems to hinge on a misunderstanding on the function of profits. If you literally believe that intellectual property should not exist, I think that's a pretty tough position to defend, but it's probably an axiomatic one and I can only say so much to dispute it.

On the other hand, if you believe piracy is okay because you think it has no negative impact on what films are made, then I'm not sure that's an "agree to disagree" situation, because that's the kind of thing that can be empirically disputed.

I think another thing is in this day of give me everything yesterday, people are very spoiler shy. If I cant get eg better call saul season 3 as it airs, I'm going to get spoilers. I cant live in a cave to avoid them. I'm on the net every day and they'll be thrown at me on fb, in the entertainment section of my newspaper just looking at a headline (tools!), speaking to people in my community who might download it. You cant escape it because people are either downright rude (none of my friends, ofcourse) or they get over excited.

My niece loves giving spoilers. She thinks it's hilarious. I told her one day she'll be axe murdered just after she blurted out a spoiler for a show my bro was catching up on. She then did it again. It's not funny. If I text family or friends about a show or movie the first thing I say is Have you seen the latest episode...

Giving spoilers is like those rotten kids who tell their 4 year old friend santa is not real. I say bring back the death penalty!!!

I think another thing is in this day of give me everything yesterday, people are very spoiler shy. If I cant get eg better call saul season 3 as it airs, I'm going to get spoilers. I cant live in a cave to avoid them. I'm on the net every day and they'll be thrown at me on fb, in the entertainment section of my newspaper just looking at a headline (tools!), speaking to people in my community who might download it. You cant escape it because people are either downright rude (none of my friends, ofcourse) or they get over excited.
Not to mention even if I DID pay for a full cable setup for one show, I'd STILL watching it an hour later streaming because they snip the commercials out. I've seen TWD on MeTV loaded with commercials and it's tragic how horrible it is to be watching, getting into it, something big starts happened... and immersion break as next thing I see is a laundry bear, a lizard trying to sell me insurance, etc etc etc then when the show comes back on, I have to drop back into the mood that was shattered by commercial break.

It's insane how much better the shows are when you can sit down and watch 42 uninterrupted minutes and be done.

My niece loves giving spoilers. She thinks it's hilarious. I told her one day she'll be axe murdered just after she blurted out a spoiler for a show my bro was catching up on. She then did it again. It's not funny. If I text family or friends about a show or movie the first thing I say is Have you seen the latest episode...

Giving spoilers is like those rotten kids who tell their 4 year old friend santa is not real. I say bring back the death penalty!!!
Someone on my facebook posted a pic the day Force Awakens opened of Han Solo's fate to my feed.

Unfriended them on the spot.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I think I'd agree with this if you were talking about Netflix, but you're not. You're talking about illegally downloading a movie. Of course they're not going to be for that because they see no revenue from it. Adapt to a changing market of what? Spending millions of dollars and giving it all away for free? That makes no sense.
I was referring to the internet at large in that particular sentence, not just piracy, but I can understand the confusion. The changing market is how content can be delivered, consumed, and discovered. This has changed drastically has it not?

As for whether or not you are paying for it, I can only repeat my point that not paying for it now doesn't mean I won't pay for it later. What piracy gives people is the choice of whether or not to support content. Now if someone can afford the content, enjoys the content, but never pays for it, yes I have a problem with that individual. Do I think they belong in jail? Absolutely not.

However you slice it the studios must adjust to an industry where the consumer has more power, instead of whining about it because guess what, piracy isn't going away. Adapt or die

Someone on my facebook posted a pic the day Force Awakens opened of Han Solo's fate to my feed.

Unfriended them on the spot.
I got the star wars one. I also got a friend of mine who is a critic commenting on the shtty cover page of an entertainment mag a GoT spoiler the second it finished airing on the east coast. He was ropable and unfriended them immediately. I quietly PMd him and said commenting on their page alerted the spoiler to all his friends as well. LOL. Poor guy felt so bad. Didnt really bother me, and it was unintentional. The worst one for me was seeing a major character death re SoA. I was so angry I wanted to stab the guy.

I don't really have a problem downloading (usually crap) copies of old movies from YouTube, which are either not on DVD or only available in insanely expensive Blu rays that I'm not paying for when I've never even seen it and have no idea if I'll even like it (been burned by that too often) and several times I've then bought a legit copy of the thing once I knew I wasn't wasting my money. Likewise I don't but can understand people doing it for films already out in other areas of the world but without even a release date in theirs; I can't help but think "maybe they should have got their fingers out" for companies who complain about that.
I don't really agree with it if it's a new movie that is easily accessible for a few lousy bucks and you're just too cheap to get it properly, though...

I don't really agree with it if it's a new movie that is easily accessible for a few lousy bucks and you're just too cheap to get it properly, though...
Are you in US, iank? Your movies re much cheaper than ours. We saw movies on opening weekend over there for ten bucks. Here, unless it's tight ass Tuesday, you're looking at $25 plus. Add ontop of that outrageous prices for popcorn and water, merchandise, maybe lunch or dinner, and parking, families are looking at a huge amount of money. Your restaurants are much cheaper than ours as well because we dont have tipping culture.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
1 - you are not made of money when the world around you is begging you to buy their products that you simply can't afford

2 - Imagine that you are bed ridden for life [hope it never happens], why should you be deprived of the same things other people have [more or less] at their disposal?

3 - Practicality is also a factor and we live in a constant run.

4 - Physical formats will eventually end.

2 - Imagine that you are bed ridden for life [hope it never happens], why should you be deprived of the same things other people have [more or less] at their disposal?
I touched on that in my post, while not bed ridden, sometimes going out just isn't in the cards. I'm too OCD about my movies, if I like it, I MUST own a copy in my library. so if I watch a streaming copy, and it's good, at very least. they just sold a blu-ray. And I always prefer watching it in a theater, but when I can't, that's why I made a theater room.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
I touched on that in my post, while not bed ridden, sometimes going out just isn't in the cards. I'm too OCD about my movies, if I like it, I MUST own a copy in my library. so if I watch a streaming copy, and it's good, at very least. they just sold a blu-ray. And I always prefer watching it in a theater, but when I can't, that's why I made a theater room.
Now imagine that you don't even have the resources to do that.

Now imagine that you don't even have the resources to do that.
Oh yeah, someone watching a crappy cam copy on their little monitor with 2 speakers isn't getting any huge treat.

Just keeping up with the current stuff.

Like I was able to watch Dr. Strange in the theater and was very glad my first experience wasn't a cam copy.

I think some people take it for granted that not just everyone can just hop in a car and go down to the theater at will to watch a film.

But it's not just "another million for the company that is growing anyway." As I keep explaining, that million is a million that doesn't go into making movies. It doesn't get shoved into a mattress.
That is actually very debatable.

I don't know how much money is lost to piracy, but whatever that number is, it's leading to a) fewer films, b) lower budgets, and c) safer, more conventional films. Because when industries make larger profits, they expand production and take more risks. So the effect isn't that Michael Wright doesn't get a fourth swimming pool: it's that we get fewer films, made for less, that take fewer chances.
From the little info I can get, this is not debatable, simply because it's not true. Maybe if you stick to Hollywood numbers, though. But budgets tend to grow as far as I know.

Anyway, the existence of piracy is understandably seen as a hindrance for the profit of the industry, the problem is that its impact is quite difficult to interpret objectively because the number of pirated copies and the number of sales are not codependent variables, and they may not even be correlated.

Yeah I have zero qualms with pirating shows, I'm paying for a DVR system that only works if I record when it's on (on demand is always down), and oh yeah I can't log onto my WII or Playstation 3 because of who knows here's the $200 bill.

Now with movies, 90% of it's accessibility in most cases the movie isn't in theaters or it doesn't have a reasonably priced showtime offer. In so many cases I end up buying the 11:30 kids film ticket for the 12:00 film I want to see because of out of hand upcharges.

Just on this point, I didnt go to the cinema at all in 2015. I wsnt bed ridden by any means but chemo treatment meant I had to be very careful when out in public. Someone sneezing a gobby in my face could have meant intensive care on an IV for days. My immunity was compromised.

also, chemo meant I could projectile vomit without a nausea warning. Do viewers sitting infront of me want that? I doubt it. I saved the cinema owner law suits.