Why do you pirate movies/TV shows?

Tools    

I'm a stalwart hater of pirated movies. Pirated films are the reason ticket prices are so high, and quality is so low in the movie business (along with corporate greed of course).
Do you blame airport food prices on pirated movies too?

Do you blame airport food prices on pirated movies too?
No, but if millions of people were stealing first class tickets and flying for free every day that as with any business there would be a need to try and recoup those losses in some way to keep the planes flying.

No, but if millions of people were stealing first class tickets and flying for free every day that as with any business there would be a need to try and recoup those losses in some way to keep the planes flying.
But that's not the case and airport prices are beyond ridiculous. That's my point.

There is an oppurunity cost to piracy. i pirate super rare stuff usually and DVR/rent other stuff. Tv series is an exception, but i watch more on tv than i ever did.

They need to stop making DVDs for critics or award judges unless its a movie already released to the public on DVD. That indulgence theyve granted themselves has cost them hundreds of millions of dollars in ticket sales overall.

They need to stop making DVDs for critics or award judges unless its a movie already released to the public on DVD. That indulgence theyve granted themselves has cost them hundreds of millions of dollars in ticket sales overall.
Maybe they just shouldn't do pre-screenings/pre-release copies period.

But not because of piracy, because they make no sense.

I'm a stalwart hater of pirated movies. Pirated films are the reason ticket prices are so high, and quality is so low in the movie business (along with corporate greed of course).
Don't forget the jews!

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
I usually buy at least half the movies I like, but there is no good reason I should pay for everything I see when all I gotta do is download a torrent and have it in front of me within minutes.

I usually buy at least half the movies I like, but there is no good reason I should pay for everything I see when all I gotta do is download a torrent and have it in front of me within minutes.
It's justified because it's convenient can be used to excuse any manner of crimes.

It's justified because it's convenient can be used to excuse any manner of crimes.
I don't have to justify it.

I don't have to justify it.
You are justifying it when you say "there is no good reason I should pay for everything I see when all I gotta do is download a torrent".

Your argument is based entirely on convenience.

You are justifying it when you say "there is no good reason I should pay for everything I see when all I gotta do is download a torrent".

Your argument is based entirely on convenience.
Okay then. No one is being hurt when I do this so it doesn't really matter. All I'm doing is grabbing a free movie that someone else put on there. Shouldn't even count as a crime.

Okay then. No one is being hurt when I do this so it doesn't really matter. All I'm doing is grabbing a free movie that someone else put on there. Shouldn't even count as a crime.
The movie theater industry may have been destroyed by the price increases the studios laid out to cover the losses. Big tobacco did the same thing when they had to pay billions in restitution, and the studios arent hurt because they raised their prices accordingly (not that they first did anything wrong to cause their problem).

No I dont consider someone a criminal if they download a movie and watch it. Honestly I think thats more on the studios for not really trying to correct the problem. I do think it goes to a criminal act if youre making money off it by selling copies.

No one is being hurt when I do this so it doesn't really matter.
Of course they are: there's an entire industry of people producing incredibly expensive movies at a very high rate precisely because people pay to see them. Anything which lowers the amount of money paid to see these movies hurts the people in the industry. Or do you think people would still be making $200 million blockbusters if everybody just torrented them?

All I'm doing is grabbing a free movie that someone else put on there. Shouldn't even count as a crime.
First, we're talking about creative property, which means it's the viewing that causes the harm, not the mere uploading.

Second, this is a legalistic argument, not a moral one. "They shouldn't be able to charge me" is not the same as "this isn't wrong."

Third, it's not even a valid legalistic argument, because there are already laws against receiving stolen property.

The movie theater industry may have been destroyed by the price increases the studios laid out to cover the losses.
The movie theater industry is not destroyed. They are making more money than ever. And it isn't just ticket prices, people are going to see movies more than ever.

Of course they are: there's an entire industry of people producing incredibly expensive movies at a very high rate precisely because people pay to see them. Anything which lowers the amount of money paid to see these movies hurts the people in the industry. Or do you think people would still be making $200 million blockbusters if everybody just torrented them?
Well people have been torrenting these blockbusters for years now. They still make many of them every year, people still see them and they still makes tons of money. So far, it doesn't seem to be having a huge negative effect on them.

That's like saying "I drive without insurance, and if I crash my car into a supermarket it doesn't matter because nobody was hurt. It's just the building"
That makes no sense.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Copyright law is a busted system in more countries than one, especially when it comes to digital media which I feel shouldn't be held to the same standards as physical media.

Originally Posted by The Rodent's Signature
"This evasive, ageist, nonspecifically absolutist, fearmongering knee-jerk fatalism is so far beyond ridiculous it comes across as diehard contrarianism. And if you're just gonna do that, there's no point talking to you." - Omnizoa
I'm flattered.

Originally Posted by Marlon Brando
That makes no sense.
I agree.

Originally Posted by Marlon Brando
Well people have been torrenting these blockbusters for years now. They still make many of them every year, people still see them and they still makes tons of money. So far, it doesn't seem to be having a huge negative effect on them.
SO FAR, but consider the extremes as Yoda implied. Just because something's working "so far" doesn't mean it'll always work or is even justified to begin with.

You gotta put more thought into this if you intend to contend with copyright law.

The movie theater industry is not destroyed. They are making more money than ever. And it isn't just ticket prices, people are going to see movies more than ever.
No, hardly. Youre confusing how much money the movies are making to attendance, and since prices are higher, MUCH higher, theyre making money. Less people go to the theaters though than ever before.