"Criminal" advertising

Tools    

I say criminal not just "false" cos I find it SO sneaky!

Is it just me? Nowadays you can make the most appalling film and the cover will look more expensive and GENUINE than the film itself.

One example (out of many) is this war film i got, the cover and write up looked outstandingly proffesional and high budgets, planes in the sky made it look ambitous, in the event there was not one single plane in the film, which incedently was so bad i pretty much erased it from memory

Walking into a store now, i dont know what to trust, i read a cover and wonder "am i being decieved"

I know this always been around but now it seems so bad, there should be a film board monitering it or something, a grading system on how good your cover can be.

"No sorry sir, your films atrocious, here's a picture of a dead cow, stick that on the front!"

A war movie called The Fallen was criminal. It proclaimed itself better then Saving Private Ryan. I turned it off after thirty minutes!

A war movie called The Fallen was criminal. It proclaimed itself better then Saving Private Ryan. I turned it off after thirty minutes!
Yes lol think i watched some of that too, it was awful, you cant trust anything you read.

The original trailer for Highlander Endgame actually had scenes in the trailer made specifically for it, and never actually made it into the movie. I tried to find the trailer in English, but could only find it in French.

For some reason this doesn't suprise me!

One example (out of many) is this war film i got, the cover and write up looked outstandingly proffesional and high budgets, planes in the sky made it look ambitous, in the event there was not one single plane in the film, which incedently was so bad i pretty much erased it from memory
What was the War film you bought?

Nowadays you can make the most appalling film and the cover will look more expensive and GENUINE than the film itself.
Yes! especially straight to dvd horror films, on a lot of them it looks like they spent most of their money on the artwork for the dvd than on the film itself...

Walking into a store now, i dont know what to trust, i read a cover and wonder "am i being decieved"
I use to be able to tell what could be at least decent from the artwork and the back cover but lately for the straight to dvd stuff I always check out the trailer on youtube now.

Stranded is a good example - has an amazing lenticular slipcover for artwork with a scene on the back cover that doesn't even appear in the film. This science fiction film turned out to be terrible with cheap special effects. Also says on the front cover: From the Oscar nominated and creative mind behind Alien...

These days I don't spend money on anything until I look up the product's reviews.
This. And even then it's a gamble.

But that's what happens when you blind buy. Either take it in stride or only buy movies you've already seen. No sense getting angry about it.

A system of cells interlinked
The original trailer for Highlander Endgame actually had scenes in the trailer made specifically for it, and never actually made it into the movie. I tried to find the trailer in English, but could only find it in French.

You are operating on a misunderstanding here. Why does footage in the trailer need to be in the film? Back in the 80s, many, many trailers were made as a completely different project, and many times did NOT have footage from the film, instead telling its own little story. This practice has been used for decades and it's just fine. In fact, I would rather not see ANY footage from the actual film until I go see the film.

I thought Mr and Mrs. Smith would be so much worth watching. Went to a theater.... and man... hopeless movie.

I thought Mr and Mrs. Smith would be so much worth watching. Went to a theater.... and man... hopeless movie.
I thought it was a really fun movie with pretty people, which is basically what (imo) the trailers and posters made it out to be. But regardless, just because you didn't like it doesn't mean the advertising for it was "criminal."

Stranded is a good example - has an amazing lenticular slipcover for artwork with a scene on the back cover that doesn't even appear in the film. This science fiction film turned out to be terrible with cheap special effects. Also says on the front cover: From the Oscar nominated and creative mind behind Alien...

TBH, this has more than enough warning signs. Firstly, the artwork looks crap, IMO. It has Christian Slater's name above the title and, lastly, that's such a tenuous link to a very famous film that to claim any reflected glory in it is immediately dodgy in my mind.

I thought it was a really fun movie with pretty people, which is basically what (imo) the trailers and posters made it out to be. But regardless, just because you didn't like it doesn't mean the advertising for it was "criminal."
Bottom line is "imo".

Bottom line is "imo".
The subject of the thread is advertising that is misleading or just flat out false - showing scenes that don't exist in the final film, displaying images/artwork that are of much greater quality than the cinematography, misrepresenting what the movie actually is, that sort of thing. You truly believe that the advertising for Mr. and Mrs. Smith misrepresented the content of the movie? In what way?

The subject of the thread is advertising that is misleading or just flat out false - showing scenes that don't exist in the final film, displaying images/artwork that are of much greater quality than the cinematography, misrepresenting what the movie actually is, that sort of thing. You truly believe that the advertising for Mr. and Mrs. Smith misrepresented the content of the movie? In what way?
First of all the topic is not all about scenes being cut or stuff like that.

About the movie, imo, it was!

Yeah, I get that it's your opinion. I'm asking you to explain the reasons behind that opinion. It's called a discussion.
Expected some cool spy flick. Coupled with Brad and Angie, turned out to be, in Jeremy Jans words "*******"! Might as well have made Jeremy as Brad and dress me as Angie, the movie would not have been any worse!

What was the War film you bought?

Yes! especially straight to dvd horror films, on a lot of them it looks like they spent most of their money on the artwork for the dvd than on the film itself...

I use to be able to tell what could be at least decent from the artwork and the back cover but lately for the straight to dvd stuff I always check out the trailer on youtube now.

I honestly cant remember the name of the film, i saw a few like it and they all kind of merged into one as they were equally flat & pointless

Thanks for the nod about "stranded" - almost got it a few times, think i,ll now pass :-)