15.38%
2 votes
40 Days and 40 Nights
84.62%
11 votes
We Were Soldiers
13 votes. You may not vote on this poll

This is a tough one.

40 Days and 40 Nights could not have been better marketed and Josh Hartnett it pains me to see, seems to have become somewhat of a box office draw. The plot is original though. And as Crossroads and Queen of the Damned have proven, the teen market is a mean market.

We Were Soldiers has Mel in it. I don't think it's been marketed very well. And Randall Wallace's record (The Man in The Iron Mask) is hardly wonderful. However it has Mel in it. Hart's War was a disappointment and this resembles it somehow. I don't think the American public are very interested in another war movie. But it has Mel in it.

What do you think?

I voted for We Were Soldiers -- I think it'll be close, though. Perhaps I'm voting out of hopefullness rather than realism...because I'd hate to see another teen sex comedy finding so much commercial success, even if it is funny. I suppose I like to think that people are more interested in heroism than they are raunchy humor (don't get me wrong, it has its places. You're talking to a Farrelly brothers fan here). We'll see.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, I'm about as sick of seeing movies about sex as much as movies about war. How's that?!

Personally, I think that We Were Soliders can draw in the crowd. 40 Days & 40 Nights will come in a close second.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

definatley we were soldiers, ppl love those crappy vietnam war films.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Looks as if I am waaaaaay outnumbered on this one, but I had to go with 40 days. As T said, the marketing campaign has been pretty heavy and the reviews have been decent. Add the fact that you should NEVER vote against the teen market and it looks like this one will pull it out. 15 mil or so... but who knows... it's impossible to predict this stuff, but it sure is fun to try!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'd day 40 Days & 40 Nights has done a good job at marketing, I mean I can remember teasers for it back last summer. We Were Soldiers is a Mel Gibson flick so I think they might equal out in numbers with the crowds.

Friday's numbers are in...

We Were Soldiers
$5.545 million

40 Days & 40 Nights
$4.402 million

It should be noted, though, that the latter opened in less theaters, and averaged more per screen.

See, that's what you get for thinking too much Twt.
Who won? Huh? Huh?

We Were Soldiers won. Or, at least, it won on Friday, and will probably take the weekend. I don't go by theater average, because it can be misleading. Some films only open in three theaters, in NY, or something, and they average more per screen than anything in the top ten. Total gross is the best way to go...and it's also the basis for all these polls.

So there.

You forgot the part about how much each one cost to make and such. Also, the cost of movie tickets in NY is probably higher than it is here, so factor in ticket prices for the different places each one played in. Waaa! Oops. Can I say waa in here?

I didn't forget to factor it in, because this thread isn't about which will be considered a bigger success, but just which will take the #1 spot this weekend.

Thank doG...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Ivoted late on thsi, but I love 40days/nights...
lol
and it only had a vote. SOOOOOO,,,,

lol

Get off my island
40 days and 40 nights was horrible

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!