Movie Career Interest

Tools    

What's the rush? Can't you wait until you finish high school?
I could , but that would still not fix that fact that my dad would not be able to be with us. Plus I have two older sisters who although are really pushing for me to go for my dreams back home. The problem my agent says with waiting and moving up to a bigger agencies is exposure and you never know when the right thing may come across the way for me. Right now since I am so close into entering my Junior year in high school I think it smart for me to start here than to try and change schools across country in less than 2 months. That leaves my Senior year option opened and more time to figure out the best possibilities for me and schools that adjust to audition schedules at so forth.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think you could finish school and go to Hollywood. I have a cousin that is working in the hollywood biz right now (behind the scenes). No need to rush it.

I think you could finish school and go to Hollywood. I have a cousin that is working in the hollywood biz right now (behind the scenes). No need to rush it.
On the other hand I don't think the company your cousin works for was ever going to say "sorry, you cant run the spreadsheets and check the figures here, your too old. We are looking for someone younger and with better aesthetic appeal, and possible someone who can act as a role model to the mid teen generation" etc etc etc.

I guess teen markets, teen market. Besides, I know that lots of producers (california based in particular) are searching for young actresses to fill that void of talented young woman in their early 20s at the minute. The press acknowledge this too following speculation about the lead casting for "girl with the dragon tattoo". Its difficult to look past Kristen Stewart and Carey Mulligan at the minute.

Schools important though, and you need back-ups.

This is probably the hardest decision to make at this moment and family, friends, my local agent all say practically the same thing. Follow your dream. That I will never get a better opportunity then this chance as young as I am.

I have been watching pretty regularly the American Top Petite Model with Tyra Banks and these girls are no different than myself except they are two to three years older than me. I have been through photo shoots, pageants, and even two commercials which from the show I watched on that they seemed to not have any experience in that. I am aware that I need to work on a lot of things to make to in Hollywood and since I was really young I have not wanted to do anything other than model or act. I still think since my Junior year is the most important course wise I will stay in Maryland and maybe land some local modeling jobs and then after my Junior year take off and head out west to give this a try.

From the sound of things, its not really hurting you that much by staying in Maryland to finish junior year anyway. Luckily your still getting work and as such always building away at that portfolio.

Definitely, start trying to build a digitised portfolio, like a models CV, and send it off to potential agencies, companies and other employers who could hand you work in advance. They wont mind, especially if you explain your situation (that your only 15/16 and you want to finish your junior year). With a little luck, youl create a situation were your going over their with some work on the table already as apposed to going entirely to look for work.

I know a girl from Ireland who did exactly that to acquire some work in New York, she's been there 3 months and hasn't had any down time so far so it must be going ok, though she's finding it a bit hard to adjust to the pace and intensity of the american modelling industry.

Thank you . I have been talking with my agent about building a digitized portfolio. I also have two commercials to work one, well probably just 1 since the other was when I was like 5 years old. The more I get out there in advance the bestter. Plus my local agent has in's with some of the bigger companies out in that area.

When I was 14 the year I did the Tampax commercial I also did a workshop and got to meet Jacinda Barrett who was the young lady from The Real World who has a lso came to Hollywood and starred in School Of Scoundrels and Ladder 49. She talked about being prepared for anything and also be a flexible as you can. She made a statement that will stick with me for a long time. She said, " There are openings in Hollywood, first you have to find them and then you have to squeeze your way into the tiny opening." I just feel I have the desire to be one of those people who will find their way and squeeze into one of those tiny openings.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just watch out for producers trying to do the same thing! (sorry bad one)
Seriously, you might also think about writing/producing/acting in your own projects, even on the web. Alot of up and coming actors got noticed via projects they did themselves. And it gives you the power to showcase your strengths as an actor.

Thank you . I have been talking with my agent about building a digitized portfolio. I also have two commercials to work one, well probably just 1 since the other was when I was like 5 years old. The more I get out there in advance the bestter. Plus my local agent has in's with some of the bigger companies out in that area.

When I was 14 the year I did the Tampax commercial I also did a workshop and got to meet Jacinda Barrett who was the young lady from The Real World who has a lso came to Hollywood and starred in School Of Scoundrels and Ladder 49. She talked about being prepared for anything and also be a flexible as you can. She made a statement that will stick with me for a long time. She said, " There are openings in Hollywood, first you have to find them and then you have to squeeze your way into the tiny opening." I just feel I have the desire to be one of those people who will find their way and squeeze into one of those tiny openings.
I would certainly include a commercial you did 11 or 12 years ago when you were 5 in your CV (Resume). I know acting scouts can be quit philosophical about their work and love the concept that you were brought into the "game" at a young age, it possibly helps them gain confidence in you.

I have to say, I wish you all the best. Based on what you've said you seem to be in it for the rite reasons and I think that counts for allot.
-----
'On meeting Jacinda' That sounds good, inspiration can be important and I find sometimes when your in doubt about your chances or "making it" in this competitive warzone, it can be of real mental gain to talk to someone who's actually working within the industry, for me it sort of helped me think, hey, he's just a normal guy like me and if I work hard enough and get a little bit of luck thrown my way, maybe.. when I met a very talented Art Director called James Foster in 2004.

His credits include,

Art Department:
The Golden Compass (2007)
The Holiday (2006)
Children of Men (2006)
Mrs Henderson Presents (2005)
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (2004)
Thunderbirds (2004)
Johnny English (2003)
Spider (2002)
The Gathering Storm (2002)
Gosford Park (2001)
Chocolat (2000)
Hotel Splendide (2000)
I Dreamed of Africa (2000)
Longitude (2000)

Cleopatra (1999)
Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)
Deadly Voyage (1996)
Muppet Treasure Island (1996)

Art Director:

Clash of the Titans (2010)

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Quantum of Solace (2008)
City of Ember (2008)
Basic Instinct 2 (2006)
To Kill a King (2003)
Victoria & Albert (2001)

A lot of people try to justify their failures by saying "well I didn't make it in the film industry because I didn't know anyone, you need to know someone." Its all rubbish, sure you need luck, but above all, you need good old fashioned hard work, motivation, passion and perseverance. James Foster lectured are class a long time ago, similarly to what you had said about trying to find a crack or a small opportunity to work, for him, as a storyboard artist on "the muppets, treasure island" and he took its from their.

In the film industry your only ever as good as your last project, so never put less that 110% percent into everything you do. One day it could pay dividends when you start climbing the ladder.

Keep us MoFos updated on your progress, maybe one day some 15/16 year old girl will be on a forum reviewing your credits and aspiring to do what you do for a living.

You are so right. You don't need to know someone. You just have to show you are willing to put all your effort into a project that a producer and director are pushing. You may not have the best read on a job, but if the director sees that dedication for the project you may certainly get the job.

Meeting Jacinda at such a young age and seeing that she was just as real as me really got me thinking that I can do this. She came from modeling and a reality show; the same as me with modeling and my two jobs with commercials. At the time I had just finished the Tampax commercial. At this workshop there were tons of pretty girls with the same goals that I had and aspiring for that same dream. All I can keep saying to myself is I am going to give my all in everything I do.

I am definitely in for the right reason. It has been a passion for me since my first pageant when I was really little. I could care less about being famous and actually that is the worst part of the whole thing in my opinion. I will surely keep everyone updated on what is going on and that would be wonderful if someday a young teen like myself can look at my credits and aspire to start a career in acting.

Update my Candids have been shipped out west to some Talent Agencies that my local agent knows and has been in contact with over the past few weeks. This step is really big for me because this is exposure that I have never seen yet including the commercial I did 2 years prior. I will compile a few of these candids and post them when I get a chance. In some ways I am really excited and in someways I am really scared.

Great news Juno, big step .

Look forward to seeing the "candids" < not familiar with the term.

If you make it, il be telling my kids about how I used to chat with you on a forum, not that they'll believe me.

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Henry David Thoreau

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.
Redmoon

I love the quotes.

Candids are more like photos that show the person naturally. So these were taken professionally at parts of my life, but they are not really stages. It is me having fun with the camera and being "well" natural.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I've loved making videos since I was about 8 and I started fooling around with editing about a year ago. My mom suggested since I love movies and was pretty good at editing my videos that I might want to go into directing. I set my sights on that, but now I've realized with writing as my hobby, I'd rather turn some of my short stories into screenplays. I've decided to become a screenwriter instead.

So, horror, not necessarily but career in movies-yes

I've loved making videos since I was about 8 and I started fooling around with editing about a year ago. My mom suggested since I love movies and was pretty good at editing my videos that I might want to go into directing. I set my sights on that, but now I've realized with writing as my hobby, I'd rather turn some of my short stories into screenplays. I've decided to become a screenwriter instead.

That is so awesome. I am awful at writing, but someday after my acting career is in full sing I hope to direct. Right now I would have no idea how to direct since I have only been in two commercials in my life and one of them I was very young. So that process will have to wait a little while as I learn from the experts. Maybe you can develop a screenplay and I can be in it.

Quotes from some very wise people. JuneBug

Good luck with your writing. I absolutely love reading screenplays. A good story is the hardest thing in the world to find rite now also.

I recently requested the rite's to create a screenplay from a fantastic script I had read about everyday individuals who essentially end up becoming vigilantes and rising against the soulless youths of broken britain. The writer really wasn't happy with the screenplay and how I had attempted to mould it into a feature. As so often is the case when two individuals refuse to bugge in a conflict, nothing materialised.

Quotes from some very wise people. JuneBug

Good luck with your writing. I absolutely love reading screenplays. A good story is the hardest thing in the world to find rite now also.

I recently requested the rite's to create a screenplay from a fantastic script I had read about everyday individuals who essentially end up becoming vigilantes and rising against the soulless youths of broken britain. The writer really wasn't happy with the screenplay and how I had attempted to mould it into a feature. As so often is the case when two individuals refuse to bugge in a conflict, nothing materialised.
Too bad that didn't work out for you, but like any other person trying to get into the business we push on and try again.

That is so awesome. I am awful at writing, but someday after my acting career is in full sing I hope to direct. Right now I would have no idea how to direct since I have only been in two commercials in my life and one of them I was very young. So that process will have to wait a little while as I learn from the experts. Maybe you can develop a screenplay and I can be in it.
Awesome idea! I'll keep you in mind if I ever get the opportunity

Thanks! I like reading screenplays as well I've since I read Kasdan's draft of Raiders. I completely agree with you. Almost all the movies we're seeing right now are remakes and sequels.

I'm sorry to hear about your failed project I hope you too have a very properous career in film as well