Box Office Prediction Quiz (Prizes awarded)

Tools    

2006 prediction Quiz.

I am curious what all of you experts here at MOFO think about this summer movie season. I am making up a little prediction quiz and I am offering the winner three of my DVDs that I have duplicates of. I will lship them free to whatever address the winner sends me free of charge. The DVDs are:
The Life Aquatic
Layer Cake
Capote

These are DVDs that I got as gifts that were duplicate. I know it is not like winning the lottery, but they are decent movies and hey they are free. This is just for fun and you can still play if you do not want them. Here are the rules: I will ask some movie related questions about the 2006 season. Some answers will be almost impossible to get exactly right, but the closest answer wins that question. Each question is worth a certain amount of points which will be listed by the question and there will be a bonus question worth 5 points. The person who gets the most points wins. All questions are related to movies being released theatrically in the U.S. between the dates of May 9th untill Aug 28th, 2006. All questions should be considered in the domestic market.
(edited, no answers were sent prior to the change from worldwide to domestic.)
You may post your answers here, but if you are afraid of copycats you may also Pm them to me. Okay here we go, good luck to all who play.

1. What movie will be the highest grossing film during this timeframe? (2 points)

2. How much will the above film gross? (3 points)

3. What will be the highest grossing "r" rated movie for this time frame? ( 2 points)

4. List the top 5 grossing films. (2 points for each properly positioned film)

5. Yes or no: will any film break the top ten all time list? (1 point)

6. Which film will gross highest over budget? (most profitable) (3 points)

7. List the total dollar amount of the top three grossing films. (3 points)

8. Which film will flop the most, lowest profit vs budget (2 points)

9. What will be the highest grossing film for the following months:
May
June
July
Aug (2 points for each right answer)

10. What film will have the biggest opening day total? (2 points)

11. How much will the above film gross on opening day? (3 points)

Bonus Question:
List the top ten films of this time frame based on gross dollar amount along with what you think the total will be. You do not have to get them in the right order to win this question the closest overall player will get 5 bonus points.

Hope you all decide to play, I have always had an intrest in the box office and thought it would be fun.

Good Luck.

I don't want to answer any questions but i would Like Capote if you are giving it away, i have the other two ............................

Originally Posted by Yoda
Worldwide gross? Not domestic box office gross? Just wanna make sure I have that right; it certainly makes the questions tougher.
Yes.....but if enough of you would rather it be domestic, I could change it....but has to be soon. Answers need to be in by the 9th.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Up to you, of course, but my vote would certainly be for domestic.

Okay makes sense to me domestic it is. Please play all who can find the time, this is also part of some research I am doing for a local article and would be a big help.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by 7thson
All questions are related to movies being released theatrically in the U.S. between the dates of May 9th untill Aug 28th, 2006.
So you're going to subtract Mission: Impossible III's first week of returns from its overall total? That doesn't seem fair.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sorry it isnt perfect I know and I wish that I had started this sooner, but I have not had the chance till now. To avoid confusion MI III should be considered in total amounts from its release date. Also there was mentioned the "r" rating issue as one that is a bit hard to guess because of the final ratings not being released yet. This is true and I cannot change the question now as I already have answers to it. I would just say that it is a quiz about predicting and guessing about what films may be rated is just part of the equation. Thanks for playing anyway even though it is a bit flawed, but at least it is flawed for everyone.

1. What movie will be the highest grossing film during this timeframe? (2 points)
I assume you mean which film will make the most money this year in the box office, and I my pick will be the Da Vinci Code.

Da Vinci Code will make 370-380 million due to all the hype and controversy it's causing. People who read and bought the book (those 40 million in North America) will go to watch it and also people who didn't read the book will go watch it as well. That is why I think it will do great in the box office.

3. What will be the highest grossing "r" rated movie for this time frame? ( 2 points)
Snakes on a Plane

4. List the top 5 grossing films. (2 points for each properly positioned film)
1. Da Vinci Code (370-380 million)
2. Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest (330 Million)
3. Cars (300 million)
4. Superman Returns (280 million)
5. Mission Impossible 3 (260 million)

5. Yes or no: will any film break the top ten all time list? (1 point)
Da Vinci Code will if my predictions for it are right and successful.

6. Which film will gross highest over budget? (most profitable) (3 points)
Poseidon because it will be a dissapointment and by the looks of it, it looks like it will cost a lot to make that film.

7. List the total dollar amount of the top three grossing films. (3 points)
1. Da Vinci Code: 381,996, 786, 384
2. Pirates Of The Carribean 2: 334, 012, 885, 986
3. Cars: 306, 127, 626, 841

Poseidon which will make about 90 million and it looks like it costed 50-90 million to make that film, just like another Titanic.

9. What will be the highest grossing film for the following months:
May: Da Vinci Code
June: Superman Returns
July: N/A
Aug: N/A

Da Vinci Code

90 million approximately

Bonus Question:
Too lazy to do this.

Originally Posted by Tim Johnson
Bonus Question:
Too lazy to do this.
And apparently too lazy to read that they wanted these responses in a private message and not posted into the thread itself.

Okay I have all the entries, unfortunately there are only three that I am going to even entertain in posting because the other 5 were completely garbage. I do not say that to be insulting, but the ones I am ommitting picked choices like Forrest Hump 2 for the R rated movie and amounts that were either in the billions or in one instance said Superman would gross $1. Sorry not going to waste my time on those since they didnt seem to have the time to be serious. Okay after saying all that I want to thank those of you who played correctly: Holden, Escape, and Tim Johnson. I also am playing, but just for fun not the prizes.. Anyone else who wants to play just for fun is welcome to send in their answers, but do not wait too long it makes your answers less viable. I will post the answers I have so far soon so we can all see how they compare. Once again thanks to those who played the right way. Good Luck.

Okay here are the results I have:

1. What movie will be the highest grossing film during this time frame? (2 points)

Holden=Superman Returns
Escape= The Davinci Code
Tim= The Davinci Code
7thson=Pirates of the Caribbean: DMC

Holden=375 million
Escape=360 million
Tim=370-380 million (since these numbers are all so close I am going with the middle of the road for you Tim, which would be 375 million)
7thson=350 million

3. What will be the highest grossing "r" rated film? (2 points)

Holden= Clerks II or if Miami Vice is R then it will win.
Escape=Snakes on a Ladder ( I assume he meant plane )
Tim=Snakes on a Plane
7thson=Miami Vice

4. List the top 5 grossing films. (2 points for each properly placed film)

Holden=
1. Superman Returns
2. Over the Hedge
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Dead Man's Chest
4. Barnyard
5. The Da vinci Code

Escape=
1. The Da vinci Code
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Dead Man's Chest
3. Superman Returns
4. X-Men 3: The Last Stand
5. Mission Impossible III

Tim=
1. Da Vinci Code
2. Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
3. Cars
4. Superman Returns

5. Mission Impossible 3

7thson=
1. Pirates of the Carribean: The Dead Man's Chest
2. Superman Returns
3. The Davinci Code
4. Over the Hedge
5. Mission Impossible

5. Yes or No: Will any film break the top ten all time list?(1 point)

Holden= No
Escape= No
Tim= Yes
7thson=No

6. Which film will gross the highest over budget (most profitable) (3 points)

Holden= Click
Escape=The Break-Up
Tim= Poseidon
7thson= Zoom

7. List the total dollar amount of he top three grossing films. (3 points)

Holden=
950 million

Escape=
950 million

Tim=
833.6 million

7thson=
910 million

Holden= Poseidon
Escape= Poseidon
Tim= Poseidon
7thson= Poseidon

9. What will be the highest grossing film for the following months: May, June, July, August (2 points for each right answer)

Holden=
May: The Da Vinci Code
June: X-Men: The Last Stand
July: Superman Returns
August: The Ant Bully

Escape=
May: Mission Impossible 3
June: The Omen 666
July: Superman Returns
Aug: Miami Vice

Tim=May: Da Vinci Code
June: Superman Returns
July: N/A
Aug: N/A

7thson:
May: The Di Vinici Code
June: X-Men
July: Superman returns
Aug: Snakes on a Plane

Holden= Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Escape: Superman Returns
Tim= Da Vinci Code
7thson= Pirates of the Caribbean: Dean Man's Chest

Holden= $91-million
Escape= $40 million

Tim= 90 million
7thson= 85 million

Bonus Question:
List the top ten films of this time frame based on gross dollar amount along with what you think the total will be. You do not have to get them in the right order to win this question the closest overall player will get 5 bonus points.

Holden=
1. Superman Returns, $375-million
2. Over the Hedge, $290-million
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, $285-million
4. Barnyard, $240-million
5. The Da Vinci Code, $215-million
6. X-Men: The Last Stand, $205-million
7. Mission: Impossible III, $200-million*
8. Cars, $195-million
9. Click, $165-million
10. Monster House, $135-million

Escape=
1. Superman Returns (280 million)
2. The Da Vinci Code (290 million)
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (280 million)
4. X-Men 3: The Last Stand (170 million)
5. Mission Impossible 3 (220 million)
6. Snakes on a Ladder (Plane? )(80 million)
7. Miami Vice (90 million)
8. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (65 million)
9. The Omen:666 (80 million)
10. MI:III (270 million)

Tim= Too lazy too answer

7thson=
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (350 million)
2. Superman returns (315 millon)
3. The Da Vinci Code (296 million)
4. X-Men 3: The Last Stand (206 million)
5. Over ther Hedge (200 million)
6. Mission Impossible III (195 million)

7. Cars (175 million)
8. Lady in the Water (138 million)
9. Snakes on a Plane (106 million)

10. Miami Vice (99 million)

Thanks again those who played. There is a possible perfect score of 31 points + bonus question.

If you notice any mistakes about your answers please let me know. I have your original pms or in Tims case it is posted in thread, so I will check to see if needed. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by 7thson
Escape=Snakes on a Ladd (I assume he meant plane
Lmao. Did I really say that? What a knucklehead I am hehe.

YES I meant Snakes on a Plane.

Is this contest still open for entries 7thson??