8.33%
1 votes
It'll be (nearly) a tie
8.33%
1 votes
I have no flippin' clue.
12 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I have no idea. A Beautiful Mind looks good, but it might not be strong enough, even with Crowe, to takeover the Number 1 spot.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Female assassin extraordinaire.
oh please. hands down, LOTR!

You know, I'd strongly advise against using acronyms in the titles of a thread. It's like using numbers. People are most likely NOT to go read something they don't understand at first glance and only a certain # of members here know the acronym lingo. basically, you see gibberish (or what looks like it), and you go elsewhere.

A Beautiful Mind doesn't look like anything special in my opinion, and more importantly, it doesn't have 1/10th the hype or 1/1000th the fan-base of LOTR.

A Beautiful Mind will win. Crowe has a significant fan base and Ron Howard's films usually make money. The marketing has been solid and it's award-worthy. Lord of the Rings will continue to rake in $15m or so for the next few weeks but I think A Beautiful Mind should make at least $20m in its debut.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
A Beautiful Mind has Crowe, Connely, and Howard. I mean it could very well be a good movie. LOTR has been at Number 1 for a few weeks now, might not be bad to see a newcomer take No. 1.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
well are you talking who'll win overall at the box office or opening weekend?

i say overall it's LOTR cause, come on. It's HUGE. Bigger fan base, much bigger than Russell and all that jazz. Though I love me some Russell between his movie and LOTR I went and saw LOTR first. Cute with great acting skills or not, my heart beats more madly for the Trilogy.

I'm not saying Beautiful Mind won't be SUCCESSFUL. It'll definitely be successful. Just not AS successful.

I think the poll has to do with this weekend. Otherwise there is no contest. Lord of the Rings has looked rock steady since its arrival. It's getting tons of repeat viewings so I'd expect it to gross well over $300m by the end of its run. A Beautiful Mind will do well to gross $150m.

a beautiful mind has some of the worst trailers known to man!
they dont advertize what the movie is about and thats what would have made me and probably 100's of millions of other ppl want to see it too.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I'll be a little surprised if LOTR: FOTR takes in $300 million domestically. That's a LOT for such a long movie. But yes, the poll refers to this weekend, and quite frankly, I see it being clear-cut: LOTR takes the crown again. $15 million? Pshaw. It dropped from $45 million to $37 million over its first two weekends...that's a 20% drop. You think it's gonna dive something like 60%+ this weekend? No way. It'll probably take in at least $25 million ($27-28 million is my prediction), giving it a third straight weekend on top.

Friday estimates:
  • LOTR: FOTR: $6.971 million
  • A Beautiful Mind: $5.079 million

EDIT: it's all over. LOTR: around $23 million. ABM: around $17 million. Boo ya'll!

Well, naturally.

Why would anyone go see a turgid piece of tripe like ABM when they could go see an artistic masterpiece like LOTR.

I guess I overdid it there. Usually I'm not malicious about movies, at all. But something about this one......

Maybe the way my housemate's girlfriend pumped me about my personal life right before it started. That bothered me. Somewhat.

I love the LofR. But I love the books soooo much more. A beautiful mind was very good, and I think the movie was more dramatic and the acting was better. I still liked the FotR movie, but not enough. Maybe it's because I read the trilogy before the movie came out and then again after. ~sigh~
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Who in their right mind would make such a poll?! It soooo obvious!