The Conners

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ep 7 seemed to start off well with Darlene's promotion, but did she really have to be put in the middle of a sh*t storm her very first day?
That was the point of her getting the promotion. Mr. Wellman knew that sh!tstorm was coming. That's exactly why she was given the promotion. He knew that she couldn't afford to quit, and he wasn't going to fire her, so she was the perfect scapegoat to put in that position when the press came around asking questions.

And I don't like the fact that whenever she interacts with Louise, Jackie always comes off as totally bonkers.
Jackie always comes off as totally bonkers, regardless of who she's interacting with. That's what makes her character so much fun.

I loved the final scene where they played the drinking game where they all took a drink every time Jackie and Louise said the word "manager".

Nice surprise at the opening of ep 8 with the appearance of Barry Livingston interviewing Darlene for a job. For those too young to remember, Livingston played Ernie Douglas on the CBS sitcom My Three Sons. "Nice circle, you forgot to draw the pentagram in it." That waas heartbreaking when Beverly asked Jackie where Rioseanne was. That was odd when Jackie said what was happening ti Bev all falls on her, where does she get that? That scene between Darlene and the job interviewer was excellent. That final scene with Laurie Metcalf and Estelle Parsons was a heartbreakert. "Thank you Lord, can't wait to put gravy on those dreams!" "It's like Happy Days with VD and a ghost."

Ep 9 began with Harris' horrible taste in men once again center stage. I don't know why these people continue to coddle Harris. Ben's solution of what to tell Darlene about the sofa was hilarious. Despite the fact that Darlene's fussiness about this sofa is completely out of character about Darlene. "I can' wait to see your obituary...she is survived by her stain-free couch." I loved that Jackie was finally able to "shrink" Darlene. Bravo to Louise for taking care of the scummy Kai. The button was cute when everyone was trying to test Darlene.

Couldn't help notice that the big grape juice stain on the sofa from ep 9 was completely gone at the beginning of ep 10. Jane Curtin seems a little young to be playing Katey Sagal's mother. The idea of Louise wanting to get off the road should have gone a different directioin than this. As the executive producer of the show, I can't help but wonder why Sara Gilbert is allowing Darlene to become so unlikabe. On the original series, she was the show's most likable character, but that is no longer the case. I love that Beverly Rose wouldn't go to her dad's wedding without Becky. I guess my dreams of Becky reuniting with Julio are crushed for good.

Just started ep 11 and is there some kind of deal between this show and the cast of Shameless? William H Macy's appearance on this show marks the 4th appearance of a cast member from that show here, including Emma Kenney, who plays Harris. Becky got a degree in psychology? Seriously? I could see that happening with the Becky on Roseanne but not the Becky on this show. Baby-faced William H Macy still displays a penchant for playing greasy characters. Can't believe they brought back that bully from season 2 or 3 who Dan sucker punched at his birthday party at the Lobo. Lecy Goranson was really good in that scene where she told Darlene about the extension of her stay at Darlene's house. Never thought about it until it was mentioned, but Katey Sagal does look like a roller derby queen. Loved when Emma greeted Macy at the door and said "Don't I know you?"

As a ghost? Didn't they kill off her character?
Her death and the entire "Connors" series was part of Roseanne's Ambien dream!
(Remember the end of the Newhart show where he wakes up next to Suzanne Pleshette?)

Her death and the entire "Connors" series was part of Roseanne's Ambien dream!
(Remember the end of the Newhart show where he wakes up next to Suzanne Pleshette?)

I think "Newhart" had the best ending of any series ever.

I think "Newhart" had the best ending of any series ever.
Wouldn't it be great if John Goodman rolls over in bed and Roseanne is laying there... and she says, "Bad dream, Dan?"

Wouldn't it be great if John Goodman rolls over in bed and Roseanne is laying there... and she says, "Bad dream, Dan?"

It would be funny, but I like Louise, and I wouldn't want her to just be part of Dan's bad dream.

Maybe the whole first series with Dan and Roseanne should be the bad dream.

I like Louise too, her romance with Dan was hard fought and they are just now getting really comfortable with each other, it just seems like such a waste, and Katey Sagal was really starting to feel like a Conner. If this is their way of possible strengthening ratings on The Conners, I don't think it would work at this point. They had four good seasons without Roseanne and I don't think backtracking and bringing Roseanne back from the dead is a plausible solution to ratings.

I like Louise too, her romance with Dan was hard fought and they are just now getting really comfortable with each other, it just seems like such a waste, and Katey Sagal was really starting to feel like a Conner. If this is their way of possible strengthening ratings on The Conners, I don't think it would work at this point. They had four good seasons without Roseanne and I don't think backtracking and bringing Roseanne back from the dead is a plausible solution to ratings.

I doubt that they would bring Roseanne back at this point. She left on bad terms, and I think they killed off her character to make a statement that she'll never be back.

It would be like bringing Charlie Sheen back to "Two and a Half Men" after the whole mess that got him kicked off the show. It just wasn't going to happen, and I don't think this will happen either.

Just watched ep 12 and couldn't help wondering when did Darlene turn into Beverly? She has turned into this eternally grouchy, always bitching about something know-it-all, who sees the absolute worst in everything. Who is Darlene to put a parental lock on Ben's computer? Seriously? Why were Dan and Jackie calling each other "Nana"? That argument between Dan and Jackie was beautifully played by John Goodman and Laurie Mtecalf, but I think it would have been so much funnier if they had referenced something that actually happened between Dan and Jackie in the original series instead of making up a new story about Darlene and The Exorcist. If you look at Dan and Jackie's history, there is so much stuff they could have gone back to. Really like the redone exterior of The Lunchbox, never noticed it before this episode. It was really odd that Becky seemed to be the moral barometer of this episode. Jay R Ferguson was excellent in that final scene with Becky and Darlene. Are they ever going to stop dressing Mark like Wally Cleaver? "Between the two of us, we've got one good working brain." "What's become of me? This is what happens when you're raised by wolves."

I loved at the opening of ep 13 when Bev's new caregiver said that Bev "targeted on my deepest insecurities." Loved watching Jackie guilt Mark and Harris into taking care of Bev. "it's sausage, not heroine, I'm fine." Love Becky and Darlene's kitchen. "This is your co-pilot...relax, sit back, and kiss my ass." Bev did have a point about the way Mark dresses...about time that was addressed. Loved Jackie's hope that Bev might have been hit by a car. It was sad seeing Dan lost without Louise and even sadder that his family doesn't realize it. "He's not in good enough shape to have fun." I feel bad for Jackie and the way she's letting her guilt eat her up inside. "For what you charge, you're going to have to cure her dementia." "I do like the idea of mom getting one good week of care and then taking it away." John Goodman was brilliant when a drunken Dan finally admitted what was going on. "He's mean to me because he loves me...now I see where you get it from." "Does this mention the burns from when Dorothy threw the water on her?" Have to admit the reveal about Bev was a shocker, aided by excellent work from Estelle Parsons. This should mark a real turning point in Jackie and Bev's relationship. Solid episode.

A chill went down my back during the opening scene of ep 14 when Dan asked Darlene if she wanted to work for him at the store...nothing gtood can come of that. Jack McBrayer was very funny in Darlene's job interview. "So obviously, you're not the goddess of weights and measures." Darlene was as so out of line with that customer at the store as she was during the job interview. Darlene needs to get over herself if she wants to get a job. Loved Jamie Pressly in the 2nd interview. Really wanted to slap Darlene during that interview though. I laughed out loud at Darlene's look at the third interview. id something tragic happen the day they took your picture?" Darlene got REALLY lucky in that interview...IRL, she never would have walked out of that interview with a job. The scene with Becky and Neville was excellent. "I don't know how you got in here, but I'm not going to join your church." Loved those wine glasses.

In the grand tradition of Conner women, the reveal at the opening of ep 15 that Harris is pregnant wasn't exactly a shocker. Loved when everyone was giving Harris advice and Darlene just sat there in silence. Really don't like the way Becky is using Ben. "I used to be so cool...last night I hid in the bathroom and ate a pound cake. Becky's advice to Harris was ridiculous, she couldn't have been less careful. There was no tension during Harris' big announcement because we knew from the beginning of the episode that she was going to have this baby, even though Harris is the last person in the world who should be having a baby right now, but I liked Darlene's unconditional support which she will come to regret. And where has Mark been living that he thinks his sister is going to be a good mother? Liked the slight improvement in his wardrobe though.

Harris' diva behavior regarding her pregancy was a very unpleasant start to ep 16. Glad to see Louise back on a more regular basis I guess. "I hope that everything works out the way you want and not the way we expect." "I don't know what's coming first, food or sex, but I'm going to be on my back watching TV for all of it." If I were Dan, I would have been really hurt by Louise's remark that now that she's home, she has no purpose. Darlene's description of the pain of child birth was stolen directly from Carol Burnett. They really dropped the ball with Harris' pregnancy....a lot of incredible comedy and drama could have been mined from this. I guess I spoke prematurely about Dan. Dan's advice to Darlene was excellent. The final scene with Sara Gilbert and Emma Kinney was lovely.

Loved the opening scene of reading the post-its that Darlene left. "Makes you wanna run a piece of bread over me, huh?" Jackie and Dan in a semi together? No good can come of this. That first argument between Becky and Darlene was reminiscent of Becky and Darlene circa season 3 of Roseanne. When Dan and Jackie were arguing about money, I was hoping Jackie would reference the Roseanne episode where Jackie loaned Dan $1500 after he gave $1500 to Arnie to buy Nancy a breast enhancement, but I have begun to notice that the writers on this show really don't like referencing things that happened on Roseanne. "I'm putting disinfectant on the floor...your personality should kill the rest." "Oh yeah, first thing I did was slap my name on her checking account." I was also troubled by the fact that Harris' miscarriage was barely mentioned...Harris seems to have gotten over it pretty quickly. Darlene admitting to being jealous of Becky and Harris was so out of character for her...I liked it. Totally didn't get the button with Dan and Jackie.