Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Don't feel like you have to answer this but which character were you referring to that didn't work? Use spoiler tags if you want. Still haven't watched the first one so it'll probably be a while before I get around to this.
I watched a video of Rian Johnson explaining everything that went into filming just one scene of Knives Out and not only did I leave liking that movie more than I already did, which I did, but also wondering where all of this was during The Last Jedi.

I forgot the opening line.

By May be found at the following website: IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40812808

Non-Stop - (2014)

I was tired last night, and this looked like a film I wouldn't have to invest much mental energy in - so with low expectations I went in. I didn't really look at it with a critical eye, and just enjoyed the wildly over-the-top action. This is the kind of movie where the villains have God-like powers, Napoleon-level planning and chess-match-winning plays in their pockets, and manage to hijack a plane while making it look like air marshal Bill Marks (Liam Neeson) has gone crazy and is doing the deeds he's being set up for. They want $150 million, and have planned a murder every 20 minutes down to the last gasp - setting Marks up to do the killing in devilishly clever ways. Meanwhile, Marks is romancing a lady that could be one of the hijackers, looking out for a cute little girl who is alone, dealing with his alcoholism and battling all of the passengers who think he's gone barking mad. I love films that feature peril in the air, and ones where the plane in question hits the tarmac with smoking holes in it and absolute chaos erupting in the passenger cabin - I was entertained, because as dumb as this movie is, it's well shot, and never boring. They could have called it Airport '14.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Don't feel like you have to answer this but which character were you referring to that didn't work? Use spoiler tags if you want. Still haven't watched the first one so it'll probably be a while before I get around to this.

WARNING: spoilers below
Leslie Odom Jr's character is glorified furniture after the first fifteen minutes. He has one scene in the beginning where he dumps exposition about Miles....and then for 2 hours he's in the background. Everyone else has a descernable personality and could actually be a killer but Odom's character is just...a guy.

I watched a video of Rian Johnson explaining everything that went into filming just one scene of Knives Out and not only did I leave liking that movie more than I already did, which I did, but also wondering where all of this was during The Last Jedi.
It was right here, Wool:

I liked this a bit more than you but I agree with your review completely. For whatever reason I just got slightly more pleasure out of it.
I definitely think you are spot-on with the bolded.

Agree with everything said here.

I forgot the opening line.

By The cover art can or could be obtained from IMP Awards or Sony Pictures Classics., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30047005

Barney's Version - (2010)

I was really surprised last night by how much I liked Barney's Version. The excellent Paul Giamatti features as Barney Panofsky - a man you'll love and absolutely hate at the same time. Barney is an A-hole with a capital A, but we spend a lot of intimate time with him, his father Izzy (Dustin Hoffman) and his friends - not to mention his three wives. So much intimate time that we do come to love him in a way. Most of the terrible things that happen to him can be put down to one thing - his alcoholism and drug taking. Barney and his friends are on a drug and booze-fueled bender when he belatedly gets a desperate note from his first wife, who in the meantime has committed suicide. Later on, Barney (in cringe territory) falls in love with another woman during the wedding to his second wife, and pursues her during the reception (he's also fall down dead drunk) - and it's drink and drugs that leads to an accident which sees him accused of murdering his friend Bernard "Boogie" Moscovitch (Scott Speedman). Booze is what destroys his third marriage to the love of his life, Miriam (Rosamund Pike). Barney's Version shows us most of Barney's life, and it's a sometimes tragic, sometimes triumphant rollercoaster of emotions, comedy, tragedy and sentimental dreaming. Giamatti is fantastic, and the make-up effects which age certain characters is absolutely brilliant. I haven't read the novel, but taken by itself, Barney's Version is a really good film.

8/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2011/thor_ver5.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=29994814

Thor - (2011)

Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk...I've been reacquainting myself with the initial Marvel Universe movies because I want to watch the first Avengers movie, which I've never seen. Thor was typical of many - the costumes, set design and art direction are absolutely wonderful, but the screenplay is bland, predictable and unimaginative. I can see a lot of promise in the characters and setting, and have a feeling the Thor movie after this might be better - but Thor itself doesn't do enough to be considered a classic of the genre - only another average addition. Kenneth Branagh should stick to Shakespeare I think.

6/10

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night (2021) - First Time on Crunchyroll

SAO fans have anticipated this film for some time, and I was no exception, so of course, when it dropped on Crunchyroll, I was pretty eager to give it a look. It does not disappoint. It's 100 minutes of nearly wall-to-wall action and it hefts plenty of the character depth SAO doesn't get nearly enough credit for. While some scenes in the film differ from the original series, Aria of a Starless Night is a solid companion piece that tells Asuna's origin story (something we never fully caught wind of in the original series) and may even inform how some see that first season as fans pick up on what may have been behind things Asuna did and said during some of her very first appearances. Its story ended up being very compelling, even having seen much of the same storyline in the Aincrad arc of the original series. It's also a fun and exciting film. The action is electrifying and Yuki Kajiura's musical score amps the action sequences up to the max. Since this is SAO, it's a given that the animation is stunning, and just because the colors were so striking—on my smartphone, no less—it didn't surprise me to learn that the film is native Dolby Vision HDR, technology used to master several of the best 4K Blu-rays. The film is also native Dolby Atmos—though probably downscaled to 5.1 for streaming, and it just so happens my smartphone has Dolby Atmos with headphones, earbuds, and speakers connected, so the audio really got a chance to shine with the spoken word loud and clear, sound effects packing a punch, Kajiura's score coming through cleanly and clearly, and LiSA's (who has performed every SAO theme song to date) Yuke easily getting the viewer amped. Aniplex of America's English dub is excellent, featuring several voice actors from previous dubs of the franchise. Cherami Leigh is once again excellent as Asuna Yuuki, who is the main protagonist of this installment of SAO. Here, Leigh voices a (very slightly) younger Asuna, who is more unsure of herself and her chances of survival, expertly bringing her to life as we follow her on the road to becoming the Asuna we all know and love. Bryce Papenbrook is equally impressive as Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya, the protagonist of most SAO media who takes on more of a supporting role in this film. This may be Asuna's story, but Kirito still has some kick-ass moments since he is, after all, Kirito. Anairis Quiñones is also solid as new character Misumi "Mito" Tozawa, a character created just for the film, who is depicted as Asuna's best friend from the real world and a hardcore gamer. There are also solid turns from returning cast members Dorothy Elias-Fahn as Kyoko, Asuna's overbearing mother, Kirk Thornton as Ryotaro "Klein" Tsuboi, Patrick Seitz as Andrew Gilbert "Agil" Mills, Christine Marie Cabanos as Keiko "Silica" Ayano, Derek Stephen Prince as Kibao, and Sean Chiplock as Diavel. For whatever reason, they didn't get Marc Diraison to voice Akihiko Kayaba, but David W. Collins does a solid job with his brief—though no less creepy—scene in the film's first half-hour, and while watching the film, I actually thought it was Diraison. With that being said, the rest of the cast is also up to par and the dub script is completely natural. All told, if you're a fan of SAO, don't skip this one.

Tonight, it’s The Fablemans. Or the Spielbergs. It’s a slightly fictionalized biography, directed by Spielberg himself, of a kid who wants to make movies and of the trials and tribulations of his family. So, Sammy Fabelman comes from a Jewish family (an important part of the plot) living in Arizona, loves movies, gets a camera as a gift, is bullied in school but won’t give up on his dream. He’s a cultural misfit in a high school world where kids don’t dream about movies, he starts with hand-held camera amateur movies and won’t give up. He gets his first kiss from an evangelical christian girl, who’s father has a movie camera. The story follows “Fabelman” until the beginning of his Hollywood career.

I thought it was middling, in spite of having Spielberg himself at the helm. While it contains numerous hints suggesting actual Spielberg movies, it just seems to go on too long, focusing on childhood events that are not that compelling, while missing how the magic happened that produced those movies like ET, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. I also don’t get the fictionalized part. We know who this director is. Almost every name in the movie is fictionalized. It’s not bad, but an “authorized” biography would be better.

& 1/2

Victim of The Night

By http://www.impawards.com/2011/thor_ver5.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=29994814

Thor - (2011)

Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk...I've been reacquainting myself with the initial Marvel Universe movies because I want to watch the first Avengers movie, which I've never seen. Thor was typical of many - the costumes, set design and art direction are absolutely wonderful, but the screenplay is bland, predictable and unimaginative. I can see a lot of promise in the characters and setting, and have a feeling the Thor movie after this might be better - but Thor itself doesn't do enough to be considered a classic of the genre - only another average addition. Kenneth Branagh should stick to Shakespeare I think.

6/10
Yeah, I think this movie rides almost entirely on the charisma of its actors, from Hemsworth's perfect casting to Hiddleston's perfect casting to Anthony Hopkins' Odin to Renee Russo to Skaarsgard even Kat Denning. The story is pretty meh and Branagh is just too-cute-by-half with his "Oh, I know how to film a comic-book!" bs, but I feel like the actors make this a film you can actually even re-watch.

By The cover art can or could be obtained from IMP Awards or Sony Pictures Classics., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30047005

Barney's Version - (2010)

I was really surprised last night by how much I liked Barney's Version. The excellent Paul Giamatti features as Barney Panofsky - a man you'll love and absolutely hate at the same time. Barney is an A-hole with a capital A, but we spend a lot of intimate time with him, his father Izzy (Dustin Hoffman) and his friends - not to mention his three wives. So much intimate time that we do come to love him in a way. Most of the terrible things that happen to him can be put down to one thing - his alcoholism and drug taking. Barney and his friends are on a drug and booze-fueled bender when he belatedly gets a desperate note from his first wife, who in the meantime has committed suicide. Later on, Barney (in cringe territory) falls in love with another woman during the wedding to his second wife, and pursues her during the reception (he's also fall down dead drunk) - and it's drink and drugs that leads to an accident which sees him accused of murdering his friend Bernard "Boogie" Moscovitch (Scott Speedman). Booze is what destroys his third marriage to the love of his life, Miriam (Rosamund Pike). Barney's Version shows us most of Barney's life, and it's a sometimes tragic, sometimes triumphant rollercoaster of emotions, comedy, tragedy and sentimental dreaming. Giamatti is fantastic, and the make-up effects which age certain characters is absolutely brilliant. I haven't read the novel, but taken by itself, Barney's Version is a really good film.

8/10

Thor - (2011)

6/10
Definitely adding Barney's Version to my watchlist...Paul Giamatti and Dustin Hoffman in the same movie? Gotta see that.