Billy Wilder

Tools    

Semper Fooey
You gotta be kidding me, mark.

I like Wilder, but not that much.

Buddy Buddy is a completely awful movie. It put him into forced retirement. One Two Three may have a fair number of fans, but not Buddy Buddy.

The Emperor Waltz is not as bad, but it is still a dud.

Well, I checked the imdb and there actually are some positive reviews (and also awful ones), but I doubt many of the positive ones would be if Wilder's name wasn't on it.

Must be doin sumthin right
Assigning ratings to the films of directors is so much fun

Double Indemnity

Sunset Boulevard

Ace in the Hole

Sabrina

Some Like it Hot
+
The Apartment

One, Two, Three
+
Irma La Douce

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

Avanti!
+

One of the best. Random tidbit - one of my favorite shots/moments in any film is in Double Indemnity when Fred MacMurray looks over his shoulder as he's confessing at the end. There's just something about it that gives me that feeling of "oh, right, this is why I love movies so much"

I'm big Fan of his movies, can't remember how many times I have seen Some Like it hot

1) Sunset Blvd

2) Double Indemnity

3) Ace in the Hole
+
4) Some Like it Hot

5) the Apartment

the top two are fine examples of why i like these things called movies in the first place

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Love Billy Wilder's work. Still to see quite a few of his films.

But favourites currently are:

1. Sunset Boulevard
2. The Apartment
3. Some Like it Hot
4. Double Indemnity
5. Witness for the Prosecution

Also love The Front Page and The Seven Year Itch.

I've only seen 6 of his films, but most of what I've seen I've loved.

1. Sunset Boulevard -

2. The Apartment -

3. Double Indemnity -

4. Ace in the Hole -

5. Some Like it Hot -

6. Sabrina -

I rewatched The Apartment recently. Loved it. Bumped to #2 Wilder for me after Sunset Boulevard.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Billy Wilder has four noirs that qualify for the upcoming Noir Countdown. I expect all of them will show up:

Double Indemnity
The Lost Weekend
Sunset Blvd
Ace in the Hole

I couldn't even say which of those is my favorite they're all so good!

Billy Wilder has four noirs that qualify for the upcoming Noir Countdown. I expect all of them will show up:

Double Indemnity
The Lost Weekend
Sunset Blvd
Ace in the Hole

I couldn't even say which of those is my favorite they're all so good!
I'm surprised that The Lost Weekend is listed somewhere as a noir. I don't see it. FWIW Witness for the Prosecution (1957) seems much more of a noir than does Weekend.

I'm surprised that The Lost Weekend is listed somewhere as a noir. I don't see it. FWIW Witness for the Prosecution (1957) seems much more of a noir than does Weekend.
I agree with you Doc, I don't feel The Lost Weekend is noir either...but it's tagged as such so it can be voted for in the noir countdown. I wondered about Witness for the Prosecution but didn't see it tagged as noir...

Seen these and they are hard to order, but I'll try:

1 Stalag 17 (1953)
2 Double Indemnity (1944)
3 Sunset Blvd. (1950)
4 One, Two, Three (1961)
5 Kiss Me, Stupid (1964)
6 Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
7 The Major and the Minor (1942)
8 The Apartment (1960)...would be higher but haven't seen it in 15 years
9 Ace in the Hole (1951)
10 Some Like It Hot (1959)
11 The Seven Year Itch (1955)